Personal View site logo
GH5 photojournalism in PARIS "Revolution"
  • Since 6 months, demonstration against government and neo-liberalim politics are taking place allover France every Saturday, know as Yellow vest protest.

This means 27 weeks of street demonstration with, violence from both sides and repression is now out of limits with new laws allowing abusive arrests and violence with hundreds of severely wounded protesters. However, protesters are not willing to give up.

I personally followed 14th of those events in Paris, as photojournalist. I own a wide range of cameras such as Nikon D750, Nikon D5500, Sony A7M2 and GH5.

After different test and try, I decided to stick to the GH5 as I can easily switch from photos to videos. Also, having more depth of field at wide aperture is an advantage in this kind of environment.

I just wanted to share some of my shots, to show what M43 can do in a difficult working surrounding.

I am using Lumix lenses : 7-14 mm f/4, 12-35 mm f/2.8, 35-100 mm f/2.8, 100 - 300 mm f/4-5.6

Update: I created a Flickr Album here with 118 pictures, most of them with explicative caption : https://www.flickr.com/gp/eurocameraman/kH0H7X

image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • @eurocameraman

Thanks for post.

Can you make link to Flickr or similar for half of photos at least? And others scaled to 800x wide and compressed with web quality settings. It is lot of mobile users now who will stuck on such large post.

• Hi Vitaly, thanks a lot for your message and your advises. I will do so and replace images from the original post.

• Great work @eurocameraman! ( although a sad state of affairs )

• Thanks for sharing this. The pictures are really interesting. How did you find the AF on the GH5 for photographs? Did it ever let you down while trying to capture something happening in the moment?

• Pictures are very nice.

But all this yellow jackets thing looks more like steam relief valve. No results besides time waste.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I think it is far to be a waste of time, this movement (which had 80% population support at start) created a wave of reactions, questions, reflections and discussions that are spreading among a more and more aware part of the society, on how to create a better republic with real social and fiscal justice.

They are asking for more direct votes, referendum, assembly with deputies who can be fired if they do not do the job they were elected for, less power in President hands and the possibility to destitute him if he is betraying the nation for lobbies profit.

At least, a greater number of people now, knows that they are not living in a democracy, voting once every 5 years is not enough, especially against someone they dislike to finally elect (by side reaction) someone who has no empathy and can do almost whatever he want against people will (such as shutting down hospitals, maternity, schools, post office, train and bus lines in countryside for example).

Despite the increasing number of victims (David Dufresne, a French journalist is sharing information about it on his twitter account) the protesters are not giving up and the overuse of violence by police against everyone (including journalists) added to fake news from government to point out demonstrator's violence, forced mainstream media (after 6 months spreading government version) to question the brutal repression.

As some protesters panel says : "

"Whoever fights can lose, but whoever does not fight has already lost" Bertolt Brecht

• @Doctor GH5 focus is very weak for video or photography (in AF-C) when you try to shoot someone coming to your direction.

My Nikon D750 is much more efficient for that. I do not know about the Sony A7M2 as I am only using old Nikon manual focus lenses with it.

In AF-S (with one single focus point I choose), GH5 is working fine but it depends on lenses.

For example, the 14-140 mm or the 100-300 mm lens needs to be "forced" to grab the right focus point. It means I check twice ( by pressing a bit twice the shutter button) to be sure the focus point is were I want it to be.

12 - 35 is working the best 35 - 100 is a bit more tricky as at f/2.8 and 100 mm, the depth of field is not that much even the sensor is only M43.

When I was using the D750, I often set my lens to f/5.6 as due to random moving subject I wanted to be sure to grab enough information in focus.

• Thanks @jleo

It is even sadder as this is happening in my country of origin.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Top Posters