Personal View site logo
Sony A6400 camera topic
  • 67 Replies sorted by
  • I'm sold. sigh

• Any idea about low light performance compared to a6300 specially 3200 & 6400 level?

• @Azo does the USB power just help the battery or can it power the camera for an extended period of time?

• @DrDave Autofocus whilst shooting video wide open with an aperture of F/1.4 is simply incredible IMO. It may not work great for every situation in regards to video but for talking head type stuff I think it is pretty dang good.

I am still waiting patiently on the sidelines for the Panasonic S1 before I make my next purchase. I just really wish Sony had better ergonomics if Sony had ergonomics it would be game over for me I would switch everything over to Sony. But here we are in 2019 and I am still dreaming and wishing for that all in one perfect camera that doesn't exist LOL. Well at least I can dream ;-)

• @DrDave

Normal AF must have special AI that not only understand that it tracks, but also understand if something is not sharp in specific conditions. And it also must have 3D depth data.

You can as long as you wish fuck up old contrast/phase af algorithms, but they are all of the same unreliable things. As something unexpected happens or conditions are not ideal it starts to act and ruin shots.

• I haven't used the AF on the 6400 but the AF on the ax700, which borrows some of their latest tech, is a huge upgrade. Idon't think any AF for video is infallible if it has to chose between two central characters in a film, but the color tracking means it can make a better choice.

• Interesting! Tony Northrup claims that the autofocus has a hit rate of 98% on the other end of the spectrum Matt Granger is saying the autofocus sucks on the A6400 WTF.... How can there be that much of a discrepancy somebody is bullshitting HMMMM! I tried the eye autofocus on the XT2 it sucks so I don't use it at all. 98% eye autofocus hit rate is incredible if this is true. So happy that we have all of these choices right now from all of the different camera companies can't wait for the Panasonic full frame camera hope their autofocus system is on point....

• First of all, I think the still IQ and the video IQ look excellent.
    As for Max, it is funny that he identifies the camera as the a6500 in his first sentence, if I did that I would just do a quick edit to fix it.

• @jonpais

Well, I don't have links under our video reviews. Almost all links here are either product links (present for all) or deals. So, for me it does not matter at all. And I do not live on this links income contrary to him.

He is good and it is lot to learn from him, but note that he is just another of people who fight extremely hard for their income and use all means to get subscribers and this income.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Not trying to annoy you - I find your views refreshing and provocative - but don’t you also get a small percentage when readers click on your links?

I think Max gives very detailed, informative, unbiased reviews - however I realize he has a few detractors in the forums.

He was the first to test battery life, unlimited recording and overheating of the a6400 (AFAIK) and the first non-Sony ambassador (to the best of my knowledge) to assess the camera positively - in spite of the old style battery, lack of IBIS and the stupid upward tilting LCD!! I think that should be seen as a sign of independent thinking, not marketing - even if we disagree with his findings.

It is also entirely possible that he changes his mind after his next video comparing the a6400 and a6500.

I also believe that prior to the a6400 presentation, no Sony spokesperson had given the figure of f/.63. I recall them saying f/.95 or something. Not that it matters much.

Unfortunately, I can’t test every camera that’s released, so I have to rely on sites like slashcam and lenstip and youtubers to find out as much as I can.

• @jonpais

In-depth review by Max. He would choose a6400 over a6500. New processor means even with the old style battery, he was getting 1-1/2 hours and no overheating.

Think yourself, do not listen to Max or anyone else. Max lives from convincing you to buy camera, if he'll be bad at this he will have nothing to eat.

For general user a6500 is better camera usually. But it all depends on actual needs. I suggest to wait few months as camera most probably soon slide around $200 lower.

Also, at the event, Sony responds to Nikon, saying e mount could do f/.63 (not that I ever cared - f/1.4 is more than enough for me).

They told this even back at Photokina time.

• In-depth review by Max. He would choose a6400 over a6500. New processor means even with the old style battery, he was getting 1-1/2 hours and no overheating. Also, at the event, Sony responds to Nikon, saying e mount could do f/.63 (not that I ever cared - f/1.4 is more than enough for me). Some explanation and samples of how well real-time tracking works.

• @jonpais Yes, I suppose the time limit is meaningless if it burns to the ground or melts into a ball of slag. Has anyone left it on to see how hot it gets? I use USB to 8.4v steppers so not worried about the battery, the battery is the backup.

• @DrDave Yes, no more video record limit. Of course, it will still overheat and batteries will die.