Personal View site logo
BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
  • 497 Replies sorted by
  • That First Light piece looks pretty damn nice. I would like to see some more "lit" shots with people. I'm pre-pro on a doc and want this to be my cam, but the GH5s is still working for me.

• BMPCC4K lowlight is looking promising

• I hope that 12800 will be useable on the Pocket 4k when BRAW is implemented. Seems possible if the same additional usable stops of ISO are realized just like with the USRA Mini Pro BRAW update.

• DJI Ronin S, lees, 12mm Olympus and 12-35 Lumix. 1000, 1250 and 3200 Iso.

• First camera test footage of review unit, big props to Sareesh Sudhakaran of Wolfcrow.com for helping answer some basics of what many of us wanted to know, working under the gun having to get his review unit back:

Blackmagic Pocket Camera 4K vs Arri Alexa vs GH5

• I'm trawling thought this thread and reviews. So far can't see how the camera preforms handheld with no stabilisation. Whats the general opinion. Could it be a Doc Camera handheld barebones?

• @zsound That """guide""" suggests people buy two completely incorrect audio cables for the pocket. Both of his suggestions are female mini-xlr. You need male mini-xlr for the pocket. The connector on the camera is female. BMD themselves sell a set of two appropriate cables for their Video Assist recorders.

• I'm trawling thought this thread and reviews. So far can't see how the camera preforms handheld with no stabilisation. Whats the general opinion. Could it be a Doc Camera handheld barebones?

It works exactly the same as any other camera of similar weight/size with no IBIS.

But to start with, here’s a safe bet for a long cable, and here’s an adapter (these are oddly very hard to find). Read your specs carefully!

@Firworks: "Read your specs carefully", oh the irony!! :

The camera isn't shipping yet to the best of my knowledge. I doubt anybody has done that - but as IronFilm said, it should work about the same as any other camera. Since it's fairly light, I'd be inclined to put it on a rig for "handheld" use.

• Well I think all cameras have factors that make handheld more or less possible even if we know the specs. Ergonomics, rolling shutter, etc. Just hoped one of the guys who got their hands on it mentioned it or have some insight thats all. Maybe John Brawley.

• CVP just posted a nice mini docu piece on some British knifemakers shot on the BMPCC4K:

• ProAV Review Handheld Test

• BMD has missed second shipping date here in US for the BMPCC4K for
    Sept 4th, Oct 5th according to my NY retailer...

Order time: Apr 9, 2018, 4:45 PM E.S.T.

They are following the other industry-worst singular color cinema camera manufacturer rollout model exactly, crowdfunded the camera with money up-front on preorder, yet unsurprisingly still couldn't even hit 2 shipping dates, with selective shills not representing the true status of the pre-production cams with the exception of Wolfcrow on Youtube, whom gets skewered for showing real defects and current status in real-time. In an alternate reality, BMD could have waited till IBC 2018, Photokina 2018 or NAB NY 2018 and announced "now shipping" in limited numbers with paid marketing video and knowledgeable factory reps explaining what the product actually does now...

Onto the positive, anybody care to share best deal and from whom?
    I have seen $50 off retail so far from a retailer in Wisconsin...

Anybody getting a better discount on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K?