Personal View site logo
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster
  • 511 Replies sorted by
  • Worth a try. Good one, @Firworks !

• Printed!

20180730_052657.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 2M
  • @Grimor Looks like it printed well! Did it fit?

• It doesn't fit at all. Its really thigh and i think will need to sand a little the inner part. I use white PLA and spray paint in black.

• Oh yeah it is a very tight fit normally because I was trying to prevent it from sliding off or flopping around. Maybe the paint added too much thickness to it? If it ends up being a problem I might put up a version with a little looser straps and people can see which fit they like better. Also are you testing it on a G85 or other camera?

• Yes, G85.

• I have sanded a lot the inside part and I can not get the screen of the G80 in, but without any modification fits perfectly in the GH2.

• @DrDave - Thanks for your reviews of the G85 and the DMW-BGG1 clone battery grip. I managed to nab the last BGG1 grip with remote that was in stock at Amazon for less than $100. Looks like the remotes are in short supply, as the other listings were selling for 2-3 times as much. The G85 I picked up was refurbished by Panasonic for just $600. This is an incredible deal for a 100Mbps 4K IBIS-stabilizied camera with a 2.2x crop factor that records with no time limit.

Personally, I can't believe the $2K+ prices for the new full-frame mirrorless cameras, I paid less than half that for my full-frame Nikon D610, the last Nikon model that works with the 64Mbps 1080p video hack. On that note, while the G85's 28Mbps 1080p video is disappointing, we still have the GH2 ;)

• @lPowell (3l) Wow, I had no idea the grip would go up in price. I should keep an eye out. I have to say mine works very well, especially for events. BTW the old DSTE batteries were garbage, but I bought two recent ones that had as much juice as the original. Where they are worrisome is that last little tick before shutdown. 1080p: I still have the GH2 running your Flowmotion, but I have to say the 1080p that I get from downsampling the G85 is really very good. And $600 is a very good price for that cam.
    Lately I have been using a $12 step up transformer which goes from a USB brick to the dummy battery. But the dual battery grip is very handy. I'm still seeing a good price on these grips in the $35-60 range from Aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DSTE-Professional-DMW-BGG1-Vertical-Battery-Grip-for-Panasonic-LUMIX-DMC-G80-G85-DSLR-Cameras-Panasonic/32848875424.html

• I'm also very satisfied with G80. As I'm in EU I'll have to live with 30min time limit for 4K, but as you said for FHD I have GH2 with no limit :) I have DSTE BGG1 clone with wireless remote and also USB step-up adapter with dummy battery which I use for G7/GH2 as static cam on tripod and grip with G80 to shoot dynamic scenes with monopod, glidecam or just handheld. It's good help to have 2x as much juice and could replace battery without dismounting from monopod/gimbal and also it's easier to replace battery as on the bottom of the G80.

• @IronFilm I'd like to help but it's difficult to capture the sound of the IBIS as it's pretty quiet. Here's a sample taken with the BMPCC and you can hear that it's just barely audible over the ever present preamp noise:

Mic is an Audio-Technica AT8024 in Mono mode, 0dB pad.

I would describe the IBIS sound as almost a lower growl or rumble than something like white noise.

I can't provide you with a good level reference though to say how loud it is to anything other than turning on the switch of the camera which as you can hear here is very loud in the mix.

Also I would say if you're considering the G85 don't even let this concern you. It's something to be aware of with the camera but in no way should steer you away from this thing if it meets your other needs. It's a great camera and I would consider it a workhorse of the non-pro world (Those that don't need LOG, All-I, Timecode, etc). I've shot hundreds of hours with it without so much as a hiccup.

• @IronFilm Ibis noise is not a problem for vlogging. You are a soundie, and lazy as hell too. "the shoemaker’s son always goes barefoot" So G80 Ibis noise is no so bad at all. I upgraded from G6 to G80 and couldnt be happier. P.S: i enjoy your vlogs, unboxing and behind scenes.

• @firwork yup, compared to the background noise floor it seems I'm worrying over nothing. Am just was way over thinking this.

Unless someone puts out a point and shoot (with 1" sensor or bigger) with a flip up selfie screen AND a mic input, then I reckon the G80 is what matches me best for price/performance ratio. I'll keep an eye out for a super cheap deal, no rush as I still have my G6 :-)

@Grimor ha! Very true, I am indeed lazy as hell when it comes to my vlogs. (So what does a bit higher noise floor really matter? I've put out some truly shocking videos on my YouTube channel after all!! :-o I hate though that one of my worst videos is also my most viewed video of all time )

Partially because I know if I try to aim too high I'll just procrastinate and never put out anything! I have the proof... I have many many gigs of footage on my harddrives for my vlog channel over the last couple years that I might end up never editing together.

Plus trying to think about content/words/performance/lighting/audio/focus/composition/etc etc all at once by yourself and under location/time constraints is surprisingly tricky!

I'm just happy if I put up "anything" each week.

Glad that in spite all that you still enjoy my videos :-) Thank you!

• "the shoemaker’s son always goes barefoot"

Have you heard of this riddle:

You visit a very far away and remote village which only has two barbers.

Do you get your haircut from the barber with the excellent haircut or the horrible haircut?

• Good point!!

• @IronFilm You don't hear the IBIS sound a few feet away, but like all camera sounds it can be an issue if you mount the mic directly on the camera. There's an easy way to describe the level of the sound, which is that it is about the same type of sound and volume as the internal sound from a IS lens, but just a fraction louder.
    The amount that it affects the mic depends on the mic, of course--how directional the mic is and whether you have a teeny shock mount on it.
    In my parallel audio setup, with the mics four or five feet away, I didn't have any issues. However, I did not pair the camera that was next to the mics with an IS lens. Of course, when you do pair the two, you get that nice floaty effect, but this was on a tripod.
    The IQ on the camera is very good.

• Anyone know if the G85 has mf focus lock like the GH5?

• What does that feature do @DrDave?

• Locks down the focus so if someone bumps the camera or inadvertently moves the lens, the focus stays locked. It's crucial for event videos where you have more cams than crew.

• You could always just switch over to MF mode after using AF to set focus.

• It's pretty easy to knock a M43 lens out of focus though. I've done it many times on my G85 and ruined a video. That would be a nice feature to have and I was going to say the G85 doesn't have it but tonight I'll try to mess with the AF/AE Lock and AF ON button/subsystem just to confirm I'm not missing it because if it does have it I want to use it.

• @Ironfilm, yeah, but focus lock really does lock it. I've had several issue with a multicam setup where I'm guessing someone just brushed the cam one way or the other and the focus was moved a fraction. A fraction is, well, crap most of the time. In MF mode, well, the camera will go out of focus if you sneeze on it.

@Firworks thanks, I suppose it is too much to hope for in a firmware update although I'm sure they could do it. Don't want to upgrade a six pack of cameras for this feature but I would like to have it.

• Wellllllllll.......... this guy doesn't like the noise from the G85:

• It doesn't make a lot of noise, but it does make a tiny bit. You can rent one from LensRentals to try it out.

• You can rent one from LensRentals to try it out.

Not when I'm in New Zealand