Personal View site logo
PV Interview with Panasonic at CP++ 2018
  • Interview with Panasonic managers at CP++ 2018, Tokyo, Japan

March 1. 2018

Questions asked by:

Todd Mellon Japan PV Team

Your questions answered by:

Michiharu Uematsu (Panasonic Technical Consultant)
    Masanori Kouyama (Panasonic Assistant Chief of DSC Product Planning)
    Tetsuji Kamio (Panasonic GH line development team)

Question - Don't you think that cameras kind of stuck in the Apple II era (in stone age, in other words)? As you go from one camera manufacturer to another you need to learn new OS, new structure of menus, sometimes new specific terms even. I am not talking about mounts here, but it is also related to Apple II era as different computers had different expansion slots :-)

Answer - It’s an interesting observation. But we don’t expect changes in this soon.

Q - To extend previous question. Don't you think that for present time cameras are still really dumb? May be it is related to the fact that it is very relatively small teams of developers are working on camera software?

AWe have to differentiate from many manufacturers. We are trying to make our best. Others also. We do not think we reached our limits yet.

Q - GH cameras price is rising with each new model, especially GH5s. Lot of people who stopped updating at the GH2 and GH3 times ask if Panasonic will address the video focused amateurs in GH line. Or it is now G line that is made for them?

A - G series are also actively used by filmmakers and now they offer better image quality than earlier GH series.
    Actually, what functions you want to be present additionally in G series? Please tell us.

Q - Any chance of GH5 / GH5s specifications ever appearing in an m43 video camera form factor (a la AF100 lineup)?

A - This is difficult to say

Q - Lot of members ask about cheap video oriented fixed aperture lenses with linear focusing like 12-60 F4 or 50-200 F4, for example. It seems like it is one of the few remaining niches in m43 lenses line-up, don't you think?

A - Thanks for the request, we will look into it.

Q - Is 48 frames per second still planned for the gh5 and gh5s cameras?

A - This may be a compatibility issue with 4k

Q - Any plans to enable option for control for aperture/ shutter via USB. So devices like Promote that work with the gh4 can work with the GH5?

A - We have no plan, but it would be interesting to do if we have enough requests

Q - Any plans to for an "untouched" picture profile? One that will completely disable noise reduction (especially temporal noise reduction), Sharpening, and any additional processing.

A - This is an interesting idea.

Q - Will future firmware updates increase the differences between the GH5 and GH5s? But, as Panasonic continue to improve these cameras, will there be other features that one camera gets and the other doesn't?

A - Of course each camera has it’s features. IS sensitivity, etc. There will be updates, and maybe some overlap, but each will remain individual.

Q - One member really wished that G85 could have gotten anything higher than 60fps, even if I had to drop down to 720p resolution. Is it possible or it is also hardware limit?

A - Although there is no plan to do this, it is possible to do and unlikely to be a hardware limit.

Q - Another question considering G85, any plans adding V-log modes via future firmware update?

A - There are no plans.

Q - Do you think that double card slots will become standard feature for all cameras on the market above certain level?

AWe are not sure.

Q - What do you think about users critique considering protruding strap lugs on some Panasonic m43 cameras?

A- It’s interesting. Most seem to not mind, but we have heard this from some users, and we are considering other options.

Q - Whether we will see the multi-aspect sensor on all future cameras?

A - It depends on the camera’s sensor. We know people like this function, and some of us do too. Sensors cost money. Common sense is a factor.

Q - Is Panasonic planning to further improve color science in the full range of the camera lineup?

A - HDR mode has 2020 color space in intelligent mode, we feel it is enough.

Q - GH5s in manual video mode does not support both auto ISO and AF lock at same time, so user can lock/unlock ISO with one touch.Is it possible to add?

A- If we understand the question correctly, in our opinion, nearly the same function can be done with AE mode. Do you mean to lock and unlock both simultaneously?

Q - Can and will DCI Cinema 4k 60fps be added to the Original GH5?

AHeat would likely be an issue.

Q - Multiple members want, if possible to try adding some raw video modes to GH5 and GH5s, even if it will be sensor crop or other limits. Is it possible or hardware here is the limit?

A - Officially we are unsure, but it is likely a heat issue as well.

Q - All last years in video oriented mirrorless market it was move to higher bitrates. No one followed Samsung with their move to more efficient HEVC codec and lower bitrate (and price for their last NX model still keep rising on used market). No one offering 10bit and 12bit HEVC video options. Do you expect it to change (not talking about Panasonic plans, but as general market approach)?

A - We have to consider compatibility first. BlackMagic Davinci and other editors have HEVC support already. But it is still rare.

Q - Can cameras become sold as part hardware and part service, especially low end cameras? I mean here that you will pay for subscription to advanced cloud based artificial intelligence that will help you with framing, exposure, lighting? Is it possible?

A - We cannot answer to this question as this is business strategy matter.

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • Nice interview! Thansk to PV team.

• Great interview! But answers... (no plans, not sure, dificult to say)

• @Grimor

Well, just the fact that we made interview and got answers is big.

Plus some questions was not made for answers, they had been made to leave some trace in their head.

• Thanks Vitaliy!

• Raw generates heat issues, Pure crap, lies. Raw has no possesing. Of course they can make it, but would cannibalise other higher end cameras in line.

The "untouched image profile" would be the most close to raw we could get. It should be a grate idea if implemented correctly, and if people can do post prossesing images the right way.

• In fact if untouched image profile is implemented, we could grab more power from prosessor, making 60p 10 bit possible. Even in other modes and resolutions.

"Eva1 has it and is same LSI"

Gh5s don't use that ibis, and use better sensor, we could even have H265 14bit. That sensor has back prossesing it has no issues making 14 bit video. It's a shame that vitality signed a non disclosure agreement maybe sometime in the past. Sold its will to bigger purpose like this site. At the end we need too survive and enter this capitalistic nature of moder society.

Even though he feels he knows better than others, his attitude is narcissistic but has formed a comunity that is worth being in. Won't say more from that. But, is the people in this forum that makes this a special place. Is frustrating from my point of view not knowing that level of programming to hack it my self. I'm on the other side of the spectrum, I'm with ones that use this amazing hacked machines, and make others feel from its grate imagery.

Hacking and making machines excels from what the true power are, I think is a gesture of true kindness, give the people the power to express and get better is a proven cultural positive act. Companies can deform, hold back and compromise social evolution in a technological way for profit. Its a shame.

I was looking at the nx1 hack, amazing piece of hardware, years ahead, now with 220 mbits in H265, image is almost like Alexa, more detail, and extremely beautiful codec. implementation

word, it would be really interesting make the untouched profile.

Vitaliy understand that I don't understand why you stopped hacking at its core. I'm sure it has something to do with money and capitalistic machinery.

I shut down now. Bye.

• @endotoxic

Just understand that lot of things are made in special hardware blocks of LSI.
    So, no, you can't just get 10-bit or such out of thin air.

EVA actually can have lot of difference, from LSI consumption to cooling and RAM.

• It's cool. I'm ranting, by frustration of my ignorance.

• Actually, what functions you want to be present additionally in G series? Please tell us.

Waveforms!

TC in.

Full compatibility with Panasonic DMW-XLR1.

• @IronFilm

Btw I am for more advanced solution compared to TC in.

It must be special TXCO attachment to smartphones and must use NFC/Bluetooth to sync.

So you just touch each camera and you are set for a day.

Of course, camera must also have TXCO.

• Would have been great if you asked if there would still be AF firmware upgrades... Only thing holding me back from buying the GH5 as I do run and gun.

• It must be special TXCO attachment to smartphones and must use NFC/Bluetooth to sync.

I'd rather hardwire it. The GH5S approach is just fine enough if only they fix it up with a firmware update, as it is now the GH5S is totally broke.

• @IronFilm

I just write how workflow can be simpler and more fail proof. No wires, no wireless transfer during takes.

Good TXCO keeps sync for a day without problem.