Personal View site logo
Wide lens with easy starbust effect under U$500?
  • Nokton have an amazing facility to achieve this effect with stunning clarity and from a low opening F2.5, the problem here is the price, these lenses are around $1,000. Does anyone have any idea if there will be a wide angle with similar effect and is accessible to work on night images?

I have read that this effect is achieved with optics with a number of odd knives. But not all have such a level, with my PanaLeica 25mm 1.4 I need to close to F7+ with what I have less light input and feel the difference.

Thanks.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • @Manu4Vendetta

I think need to look for older lenses. Yes, odd number of diaphragm blades and non rounded blades.

• Have a look a star filters.

• @Psyco

Including software ones.

Also more radical option is to get cheap manual lens and remove aperture replacing it with star shaped fixed aperture. Not so hard.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, Ok, but what lens?

@Psyco, I have thinked in that option, but can be a look more artificial.

• @Manu4Vendetta

Any good suitable lens. Can even use new Chinese cheap lenses.

• Thank you @Vitaliy_Kiselev, I see that most are very expensive optics Leica and Zeiss. The effect from the Samyang dond convince me, I see it lack of character and at a level far below (not as a lens, but in that effect). My Panasonic 14 2.5 give me that like Samyang.

The rest (CaNikon) I see that most are telephoto.

Look like the only angular that gives this effect with both character and low apertura is the Nokton. :(

• A lot of the old manual focus AIS Nikkor primes do a star filter effect...

I have a few images on Flickr that demonstrate this and most will have lens and camera settings listed below the image...see here

flickr.com/photos/spectrapix

The examples below have this effect...the bottom image was shot using a Tokina 12 -24 which is wide enough on micro four thirds using a metabones adapter.

22-Electricity.jpg
    1000 x 614 - 360K
    D50_2005_1119_NEF_00005-Framed.jpg
    1020 x 720 - 762K
  • Tokina 11-16 mk1 does this.

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 13.08.24.png
    971 x 522 - 554K
  • Lensbaby Sweet

sa536.jpg
    794 x 527 - 87K
    sa537.jpg
    475 x 355 - 28K