Personal View site logo
Poor children
  • Several studies in the United States, Europe, and Australia have found that over the last 50 years the radius of children’s “independent mobility” has shrunk by as much as 90%; whereas the distance grandpa was allowed to roam from home was measured in miles, for the modern child, it’s measured in yards. According to one study in the U.K., while 80% of third-graders were allowed to walk to school in 1971, that number had dropped to just 9% in 1990, and is even lower today.

Between the 1980s and early 00s, the amount of time children had at their disposal declined by 9 hours a week on average. Kids empirically don’t have as much time for free, unstructured play as they used to — the kind of unsupervised play in which they’re most apt to take risks and explore their limits.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/04/03/origins-overprotective-parenting/

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Uhh yeah - more urbanization and more dangerous areas, but let's just blame the parents again

• Not a problem in Japan at all.

• @Rambalac

How it is in Japan? Everyone is going 20 miles to play with other children and do it for half a day?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I don't think you could roam 30 km just physically. Well, I did it several times by bicycle during childhood but still very unusual.

In Japan some children go to school 30 km by train every day. Walking to school and back 30 min is pretty usual even for elementary school as going by train several stations. Circling around is also very common. I saw some groups of children >12 y.o. in mountains hiking though it's very unusual as most of them just dont want to hike.