Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5 camera, actual users feedback
  • 216 Replies sorted by
  • Yes, I was worried about that. The viewfinder glass seems to be pretty tough (much better than GH3/4), but I'll try to be careful until I can acquire a replacement eye cup.

• @v10tdi

You should be very careful now not to scratch EVF lens. i hope it is not the same plastic lens as in GH4.

• I've already lost the eyecup on my GH5. By chance anyone know the part number? Probably be months before it's available.

• Is there a good, Objective video demonstrating Vlog DR advantages over CineD or Standard, Neutral profiles?

• @fosterchen

Yes IBIS works very well in both 4K and 6k modes.

• Does IBIS work in 4K Photo Modes?

• You can save the right settings in camera on the smartphone via the app or onSD card and reload, when the testing is done

• @Vesku, I have not been able to get this to work on my GH5. I have it set to af-mf in the menu, but it doesn't work with my settings. I haven't played with it too much as there are a million af settings and I don't want to mess up what is working for video af quite nicely for me right now :)

• Depending on set-up, I believe this is true. I tried various permutation (half-press AF on/off, AF-ON, AFL, etc.) and I could not manually focus until AFS has achieved focus.

• @v10tdi

Does the GH5 AFS+MF work so that you must first half press AFS before you can fine tune with MF. GH4 works so and it is annoying. Why not AF+MF work all the time?

• I wish the GH5 would allow MF+AF function when AFC+AFL are engaged. The AFL works with AFC, but the focus cannot then be manually adjusted (as AFS+AFL allows). There are many times I want to "fine tune" initial AF, but still have AFC ready to engage (by disengaging the AFL).

GH4 functioned the same way.

• @Rambalac You do not even have to switch the GH5 on. Even when it is switched off in the bag, I asn wake it up with the app, establish the Wifi and can copy pictures from the camera in the bag onto my Iphone. I have done it many times already. Or you can remote control the camera. Great feature

• a quick scene from today shoot 180 and 60 framerate

• Had my first problem with the GH5 today. Was filming an interview using the XLR unit and my Sigma 18-35 (with a vanilla 'smart adaptor' set to wide open). Shot happily all day. Then after the interview I noticed the camera had locked up. So swapped the battery out- all fine. Continued shooting for the rest of the day. Got home and the file for the 15 minute interview was corrupt - it had become an .mdt file. Can't open it in any software. Damn. Not nice.

• @Rambalac I am not familiar with this GUI, but I used proxy in premiere pro how do you think

• @timqqq Here https://github.com/Rambalac/JoinerSplitter It's pretty crappy but it does what I need fast and more or less without problems.

• @lmackreath I had it on when doing some stabilizer work and it was horrible. I kept thinking "how am I doing this so $&!##Y ???" In the end of the day it was because I had the electronic stabilizer on as well. There have been a few other reports of poor stabilization, but those are always speedboosted setups. Now that I have the electronic stab to off, my native 15mm is working beautifully !!!

Cheers, Pete

• @Rambalac thx for your reply May I know more about your video "editor"? How do you manage the video clip?

• @timqqq I have several terabytes on Amazon Cloud Drive. Even made special application to work with files and upload reliably. Amazon Cloud Drive service and speed is quite crappy but app is just pushing everything forward by force.

I also using my own video "editor" which is basically ffmpeg GUI. It can merge and cut files 300fps. Cannot change anything visually but I prefer to set camera and capture video as good as possible instead of waiting processing 10 hours for 1 hour video.

• Did anyone try to make Image App to start remote control just on app start via Bluetooth? I thought Panasonic people promised that many times, you just turn camera on, open app and instantly get control. I spent 15 min in camera store trying to enable that feature but no success.

• Interested in feedback from people who have used the electonic image stabilsation function ? I have the GH5 and have never gone near it as heard horror stories about using this with warping etc in previous cameras with this feature.

The dpreview says the crop is minimal when in use and no obvious loss in quality?...makes me think it might be worth a try?

• Asking for advice how to optimze stoarage/video editing you guys use when shooting with GH5

For me, I am now shooting GH5 4K50p 150Mbps with a 64GB SD card I got 2 64GB SD card The problem is the file size are too large and not very friendly to manage in video editing, I need to enable proxy to do the editing which costs me so LONG & eating all of my storage space.

How do you guys manage the storage with this large size of video?

And also, how many GBs of SD card you guys bring if you go to shoot a full day event? (say 10 hours), how to manage the storage space? Is there any option to shoot lower bitrate 4K50p video? (e.g. 70-80Mbps)

Thanks Timothy

• Some LUT tests...not too bothered about opinions on the grade, but is the exposure ok on these few clips?

• just in case you don't want to wait vimeo loading

Yes, I prefer Samsung NX1 focusing system, GH5 needs to upgrade firmware

• "The Phone", short GH5. 10 and 8 bit scenes included.