Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH1 firmware research, testing
  • 277 Replies sorted by
  • @humpman for pal or ntsc?

• @zcream the tables are universal.

• @humpman is there any way to combine both PAL/NTSC setting although maybe with some compromised maximum bitrate but using 48i to prevent diagonal rain?

I asked too much ya? hahaha..
  • Ok then, you got me, here is the universal settings for both PAL and NTSC. Max bitrate for PAL ~68Mbps, NTSC ~63Mbps. Also i turned mjpeg mode to timelapse mode, 2 fps.
    What i recognized today is that 50/60p doesn't reacting on bitrate hack, i loaded the "75Mbps Peak Reliability Patch v2" but bitrate in 50/60p mode is still doesn't go higher then 17Mbps, so i let it as it been.

user.ini
    seta.ini
    875B
  • Wow, the quality of the output on these patches is outstanding! File sizes are (obviously) huge, but this really shows off the quality of the old GH1's sensor! No problems so far recording to an old SanDisk Extreme 45MB/s Class10 SDHC.

@humpman, fantastic work.

• @humpman I will load the latest setting and report here once I have a spare time. If @lpowell could take a look into the 720p50/60 setting then we have a completely new patch for GH1

• The noise is visible on the TV - its a pitch black screen so great for showing noise. This type of noise can be taken out by Neat Video though.

Test Oct.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 417K
  • Here is the 720p video. I shot at 1080p25 and compressed it for the model in it. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9906333/Sequence%2002_1.mp4

The skin tones are preserved, but the color noise is on the heavily underexposed regions,

• Here is the mts file from the camera. Give it an hour to upload.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9906333/00000.MTS

• @zcream the women are pretty =) I see, well, we can't make it absolutely clear, at least i can't.

• Oh yes :-) I am not complaining. I stated that the noise can be cleaned up using Neat Video. Its better than it was ever before..I used Auto ISO - and I use it on all my filming with GHone. Reduces the noise a bit more.

• I still try to find a time to test. My setup is Film Vibrant -2, -2, 0, -2. The dynamic range is a bit narrow but the red color is the most realistic and the banding are hidden in the underexposed area. Up to ISO 640, GH1 output is very clean to my taste.

• @yskunto yep, i liked the last setting in iso's up to 800.

• Let's take a couple beer guys!!

• Best firmware for GH1, i have tested all the firmwares i found , this will deliver the best quality . Great job Humpman , just had a good glass of wine in your name , greetings from Romania !!!

• @czoka Thanks man! Here is the new settings, similar to previous settings, but with polished tables.

user.ini
    seta.ini
    875B
  • @humpman you still release polished tables for this little monster? Oh, come on! This is already 2017, only you, me, and some others that still use the GH1. Everybody else uses GH5. Hahaha..

Did you know why the 720p50 and 720p60 mode does not work in high bitrate as intended from the copy paste of @lpowell peak reliability patch?
  • @yskunto not only lpowell but others, i don't know, needs firmware research.

• @humpman what do you mean? Polished tables?

• @zcream polished means polished, just slightly changed, a little better. Those last tables looks better on high ISO's on my eye.

• @humpman's new table at high ISO is outstanding 1080p, 720p good but playback is not reliable. The camera should be turned off/on to be able to playback all the saved clips. Thanks, humpman!

• @yskunto in my eye, now it looks, well, maybe not cleaner, but sharper and better texture at high ISO's, especially at 1600 and 3200.

• Hi @yskunto , i know it's 2017 but this little camera is great :) , @humpman i will try this new settings next couple of days . It seems that the 2016 firmware had some bugs , random skipping a few frames in video playback ( some videos are perfect , some have this problem , totally random ) , can it be the card ? ( i'm using micro sd with adapter , Kingston 90MB read /80 MB write class 10 / 32 GB UHS1 ), i didn't have this kind of problems with the same card and @lpowell 24p 1080 progressive firmware , please let me know if you know . I will get back with my feedback regarding the latest firmware attached , thank you .

• Low Light settings ....

> Emery posted, with exposure compensation down 1/3-step, in Standard film mode with Contrast all the way up, saturation and sharpness at 0, and noise reduction all the way up.

• Short video with the latest firmware from @humpman , great quality , more to come.