Personal View site logo
DaVinci Resolve 18 and older 17 and 16
  • 459 Replies sorted by
  • Color Grading LUT Basics Tutorial

• Why Adjust Colors Before The LUT?

• New release of DaVinci Resolve 12.5.1. with lot's of changes:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion

• Hi there pips =)

I've been trying to achieve somethin' within resolve with no good luck, maybe the cracks of the colour walls can help me out. I believe it would be easier if I explain how I already achieved this (more or less simple) effect in After Effects. So 4 layers, top to bottom layer 1 and 3 is the same and I'm using it as a matte for layer 2 and 4. Layer 1 is a luma matte, layer 3 a luma inverted. So to have and image which high lights are formed from one layer and its darks are formed from Trump followers, I mean from another layer. Result
    In resolve I only managed to achieve this with one of the (compunded) layers and an alpha output

I'm aware I could export the matte from AE and then import and composite it inside DR with a matte node, but I would like to be able do the whole shibang and grade within same platform, you know lazyness is motor of long toe nails and most incredible achievements :P

Thanks in advance

• Resolve is not designed as a compositing program. These kind of comps using alpha masks are possible but not flexible as you need to import dedicated masks, as the node trees are separate for each clip. Fusion is the best way if you don't want to use a compositing program like After Effects. I don't do any compositing in Resolve as it's not really suited to it... yet!

• @caveport you're absolutelly right, the Luis XiV kind of absolute. I was a bit... reticent to go into yet another platform (never used fusion before) but to my surprise the roundtrip DR - fusion is pretty straight forward and flexible enough. Also the guts of fusion look very like natron, nuke and the sort; so no sweat there. Being fusion for free seals the deal. Big thank you matte =)

For those interested, here's how to you send (render) a composite to fusion

And how you update (after render) in resolve

The node shape of the process

• Case anyone need it

CHANGE THE FRAMERATE OF RESOLVE'S TIMELINE AFTER CREATION

It happens... to the best and manliest of ranging dudes, and if one has been working on a long project could turn into a nasty PITA. BlackMagic's user vasikgreif found a cumbersome yet useful way of doing this:

You need to go to your Resolve projects directory (here it's C:\Program Data\Blackmagic Design\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\), and open the project directory.You'll see a bunch of folders and xml files. Now, you need to edit the XML files and search for some strings and replace these with some other values:

I found mine (OSX) under /Library/Application\ Support/Blackmagic\ Design/DaVinci\
    Resolve/Resolve\ Disk\ Database/Resolve\ Projects/Users/panfilo/Projects/greitname

and there, were actually 3 xml files that needed tampering: the project one, the config one and the long alphanumerical one. It might be obvious but most text/code editors have a search & replace or find & replace funtionality which in a conjuncture such as this become handy.

Attaching a screengrab as I'm unable to parse some symbols through MD.

Then It's maybe a good idea not to extend the project's wraping and export the opium blast ASAP. Resolve needs to access (and modify) the xml files too, so it's possible that it can change its properties on its next launch... you can also leave the xmls open as long as you're still working in DR.

Finally before launching fireworks and kissing the turtle, double check that TL's framerate and project's framerate are same: e.g. {putting sesame st costume} WRONG

RIGHT! image

Source: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145

thanks to vasikgreif

• Top Editing Tips

• DaVinci Resolve version 12.5.4 is available:

• Support for the new MacBook Pro Touch Bar
    • Additional Rec. 2100 and 2020 support for high dynamic range workflows
    • Support for Grass Valley HQ and HQX codecs on Mac, Windows and Linux
    • Added support for preserving super-white and sub-black data with ProRes 4444
    • Added new sliders to control Dolby Vision analysis data
    • Added P3-D65 IDTs and ODTs in ACES
    • Added Rec. 2020 ST.2084 1000 nits ODT clamped to P3 in ACES
    • Added support for image orientation flag in DPX files
    • Improved support for CR2 files from Canon 5D Mark IV
    • Improved grading and playback performance when working with large node graphs
    • The new software is available for Windows, Mac and Linux. It can be downloaded from

Available at https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support

• Hello,

Any tips on what is the best way to convert the gh2 avchd files to a workable codec format that Davinci can handle? I am currently converting to prores 10bit, but I would love your input on this.

Cheers!

• Try this - although I haven't seen an MTS file personally in a long time

http://www.mtsconverterfree.com/

• @Pedro
    Don't use

it downloads some iskysoft video converter thing.
    If you're lazy and on the mac use Free AVCHD to Mov (see it in applestore). It is ffmpeg based (has it built inside the app) and is free. Interface is ugly but you've served with many many flavours. It also has proResHQ 422. Fastest is to rewrap with 16b LE pcm, works also for fcpx. You would be surprised how many expensive software converters (e.g. EditReady fuck up patched GH2 footage, either sound and/or IQ itself - aryifacts, missing audio, etc.).

You could also create a script for batch rewraping or transcoding into whatever you wish. On the mac with automator creating a service or a drag and drop app it's quite easy.

here are compiled builds 4 mac - http://www.ffmpegmac.net/

A simple workflow would be:
    • Put footage to convert inside a folder, don't leave blank space in neither of them, make things easier
    • Open terminal
    • write cd , there's a empty space after "cd"
    • then drop the folder with the footage to get the path
    • press enter
    • you're now on your footage folder, now paste
    perl -e 'my @files=ls; foreach (@files){ print chomp($_); ffmpeg -i "$_" -map_metadata -1 -vcodec copy -acodec pcm_s16le "$_.mov"}'; find . -name '*.MTS.mov' -exec sh -c 'mv "$0" "${0%.MTS.mov}.mov"' {} \;

The reason I personally use a perl script instead of something else has to do with simplicity (one line of {2x} code) and renaiming. With a shell one'll need extra commands. Also you can follow progress of the rewraping in the terminal =)

COUPLE THINGS
    Don't use "-map_metadata -1" if you want to keep video metadata, TC, etc.
    This script assumes that you've got a executable ffmpeg in you bin folder - /usr/local/bin
    If you instead of rewrap prefer 422 or 444, plus NR, dithering, stabilizing, etc. ffmpeg has those options too.
    http://ffmpeg.org/documentation.html

PD
    There's also hybrid

A final note: in my latest tests around transcoding footage for grading purposes I've found that a ffmpeg coktail mix with proRES 444 output it's as fast as say 5DtoRGB and holds extensive grading marginally better. Cheers

• Why bother. Just have resolve make optimized media. Also best thing about new version is that it can use mp3 audio.

• Why bother. Just have resolve make optimized media. Also best thing about new version is that it can use mp3 audio.

Well now we have 2 options +)
    If my footage was of greater accuracy/quality I wouldn't bother either. But - and this is my particular case, ok? - I find that in the transcoding stage I'm able to paliate some of the issues and so footage gets to colour bath in better shape. Same with fcpx, it depends where do things come from (are they in shape?) and how long do they have to stand the beating. There also are deadlines and diferent storage space considerations.

• Archiving project

• Premiere & Resolve Round Trip Workflow

• Touch Ups in Resolve

• Guys I'm on win7 and latest resolve studio 12.54 , been working on editing a short film for about 2 weeks now, and all the sudden today I cant find the project anymore when i start resolve, Im going crazy now trying to understand how to get it back , any ideas clues or tips? I have alot of work already in project, I appreciate any help with this...i tired going into program data and to find resolve project to do restore .i find the project but it does not have a .backu file (data backup file)

• The project is stored in the Davinci database. Do a Google search. There are many Youtube videos showing how to work with the database. That being said, this is not normal behavior. Perhaps the database got corrupted. In any event, look into the database.

• also check and make sure you are working with the correct database. If you have more than one it might be connected to the wrong one.

I would also recommend exporting your project now and then for backup and saving it on another drive or system. That way, you can still have the project even if the db or your disk corrupts.

• Guys, im not able to open the project, im not sure where to do that with out having the thump nail at the start up menu, I checked for solution online and none seem to be able to talk about finding or opening a project that somehow all sudden not found...i check the data base folder under my user name and saw the projects , its in the projects folder , its has its own folder , its just resolve dont see it for some reason, but all other projects are seen ..called blackmagic support today, stayed about an hour on the phone ,very helpful person on the line, but did not end up finding a solution to how to make resolve see the project (even thou its inside the projects folder) , he asked me to send him the project, which i did and he said he will check to see if he finds anything from his end

• @sammy

Here's something very simple to try - simply change the name of the folder that contains the project. Be sure to make it at least one character shorter or longer than the existing name. In other words, the total number of characters should be different than the existing name.