Personal View site logo
Seeking feedback for a new video color correction system [closed]
  • The early feedback period has closed. Thanks to everyone who participated. The system will be posted publicly when it is ready.

I'm working on a new color correction system, and looking to do a bit of market research and get user feedback. Participants will get early access to the system.

Please send me a private message to participate.

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Can you at least post some details here?

Is it some kind of plugin or what?

• It will work inside popular video editing applications. It enables the same kinds of corrections that you get when you shoot in raw and edit in Lightroom, but without the need to shoot in raw. It will be free. I can't share a whole lot beyond that just yet.

• @balazer

Cool.

And how about idea of a bridge plugin, so you can instantly transfer any frame to Lightroom, make any corrections (color, contrast and such) and after this plugin remember all settings and also calculate transformation and you can apply it to any range you want. But you can also return to adjusting at any time.

As for your idea as I understand it is that you want to add photo like sliders to make color adjustments.

• Yes, it will use sliders to make adjustments, but it's all done inside the video editing application. There is no dependence on Lightroom, and I don't plan any integration with Lightroom.

• Yes, it will use sliders to make adjustments, but it's all done inside the video editing application. There is no dependence on Lightroom, and I don't plan any integration with Lightroom.

This one I got, I just told you my idea how to save huge number of hours and instantly get big number of people who know how to use your product.

What color grading parts of editors and separate plugins/grading apps you checked?

• I've tested more apps and plugins than I can remember. The problem with them isn't necessarily that they're bad at manipulating colors. The problem is that they simply lack any real application of color science. You can get the colors you want if you push and pull just right, but it's not easy when you're working in a display-referenced color space or any of the various camera log color spaces. DaVinci Resolve's color managed workflow is probably the best of the ones I've tried, along with Baselight. ACES gets some things right, but it's not easy to work with. ACES requires some real color expertise if you want anything but the look of their RRT, which is not standard or natural. Camera manufacturers are providing LUTs for their log color spaces, but that only partly solves the color science problem, transforming straight from the camera log space to a display-rendered space with a look already baked in. Neither space is optimized for color correction.

Adobe Lightroom really gets color science right. Anyone who's shot raw and brought their photos into Lightroom knows how easy it is to do basic or advanced corrections. But it's not shooting raw that enables those corrections. Those corrections are possible because Lightroom knows how to take the raw image and transform it into a color space optimized for color correction.

What I'm trying to do is bring some basic color science to video color correction. It will give you the same kind of easy and accurate color correction that you get when you shoot raw, but without the need to shoot raw. Of course shooting raw has other benefits besides just better color correction.

• The problem is that they simply lack any real application of color science.

What you mean under "lack any real application of color science"?

ACES requires some real color expertise

Can you tell me ACES advantages? It has imaginary primary colors (exist only as math abstraction, but can't be seen by observer), I see some math advantages (as you can fit any color space in it even Rec 2020).

Camera manufacturers are providing LUTs for their log color spaces, but that only partly solves the color science problem, transforming straight from the camera log space to a display-rendered space with a look already baked in.

Mathematically you have both in same gamut with same primary coordinates and all LUT is doing is transform each point to some other point.

What I'm trying to do is bring some basic color science to video color correction. It will give you the same kind of easy and accurate color correction that you get when you shoot raw, but without the need to shoot raw. Of course shooting raw has other benefits besides just better color correction.

I have small issue with it. Can you just explain it formally?

• Sounds cool to me

• Lightroom's color correction tools are built on top of Adobe Camera RAW. While I use ACR extensively for photographic post-production, it lacks two major features that severely limit its usability for video color correction:

1. Lack of Gamma Controls: ACR has graphic tone curves, but provides no calibrated gamma adjustments. This makes it practically impossible to make manual technical corrections to known gamma discrepancies.

2. Lack of separate Shadow, Midtone, and Highlight ranges: While ACR provides a variety of color correction tools, they operate on the full range of the histogram. Aside from the global Parametric Tone Curve, ACR provides no systematic way to isolate shadow and highlight corrections from the midtone range. Even basic color correction video editor plugins provide a complete set of controls for each of the three ranges, plus a Master set of controls comparable to those provided by ACR.

I do agree that Adobe's color science is well-engineered, but it's buried under years of deliberate obfuscation.