Personal View site logo
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster
  • 511 Replies sorted by
  • Hey @Vitaliy_Kiselev, so you don't give much value to this 'atypical' statement? For me it's just a sign, but nothing to trust 100%. Hopefully they'll come with a serious explanation soon, if not I'm off for the G80/85 as I need a camera before Friday next week. I could buy it even without a firmware fix out but with an official statement to use when I return the camera if issue is not fixed, not with a Lumix USA Instagram post, of course...Suppose you approached Nick Driftwood about this matter, nothing to comment?? Thanks

• This is 2016, it doesn't matter how they put the message out, things spread regardless of the medium.

So, my small hope for pink pokemons lovers community is unfounded and we will be forced to sail in to BSDM waters? :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Instagram is not so unusual. This is 2016, it doesn't matter how they put the message out, things spread regardless of the medium. Benefit for them is that now people know they have an instagram account - followers will go up.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev not really sure what you mean

I mean that extrapolation from normal PR to Instagram "admission" brings us to logical conclusion that firmware release information will be published on forum about pink pokemons.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev not really sure what you mean, but yes, we wait for a firmware release announcement. it's not the end of the world.

• So, they have acknowledged it and said they're working on it. They've publicly stated they are working to solve with a firmwire update asap. Doomsayers can take a step back from the edge of the cliff (and return to moaning about the price of the EM1 mk2).

You mean that we must wait firmware release announcement, and this time it is best to search for it at pink pokemons forums?

• So, they have acknowledged it and said they're working on it. They've publicly stated they are working to solve with a firmwire update asap. Doomsayers can take a step back from the edge of the cliff (and return to moaning about the price of the EM1 mk2).

• At least a reaction (weird that it is through Instagram): https://www.instagram.com/p/BMjZ-2-BEEo/

• And again, no competent manufacturer is going to release an official PR statement outlining a product defect when it could potentially be addressed by firmware. It would be an act of self destruction.

I always like logic in capitalism. Money first, truth and conscience on 100th place.

• If it's a software issue they should be able to fix it. On the other hand, if it's hardware related the fix will be called Lumix G90 possibly next year.

• Ok so how long do you think a reasonable duration would be for them to identify the cause, implement a fix, and test sufficiently before releasing it out into the wild?

And again, no competent manufacturer is going to release an official PR statement outlining a product defect when it could potentially be addressed by firmware. It would be an act of self destruction. Ideal situation for them is for it to appear as though there never was an issue to begin with.

• They've acknowledged it and said they're working on it. Fair enough.

No, they did not. While they know about issue nothing about actual "work" is known.

They must had release information on Monday but postponed it, and it can mean that issue is more serious.

• I'm a little bemused by the crazed hysteria. The stablization issue seemed to come to light just over a week ago. They've acknowledged it and said they're working on it. Fair enough.

An official PR announcement at this stage would be highly irregular. I think it's a little uncharitable (and completely speculative) to suggest it's due to legal consultations.

• We are aware hahahahahahaha
    Losers. Take your crap camera back and make a new one that works as good as the old one.

• Pretty sure PR means press release.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev You mean that perhaps they are evaluating consequences of assuming they've put a product (and lots of commercial stuff) on sale with an unfixable issue?? What do you mean PR? (Product replacement)? Thanks

• A quick update on the issue surrounding 'jerkiness' or 'stickiness' when panning during video capture with IBIS engage: Panasonic engineers are aware of the issue. I've been in touch with Panasonic USA and they've conveyed your/our concerns to the factory.

Panasonic had been aware about issue much sooner than US guys think :-)

Fact that we still do not have official PR can also mean that issue is hardware and they consult with legal team.

• A quick but interesting update on the IBIS problem during video capture. Dan Bracaglia, G80/85 reviewer for DPReview, wrote this today on the comments section below his review:

'Dan Bracaglia

A quick update on the issue surrounding 'jerkiness' or 'stickiness' when panning during video capture with IBIS engage: Panasonic engineers are aware of the issue. I've been in touch with Panasonic USA and they've conveyed your/our concerns to the factory. I'll update when I hear anything more.

In the mean time, you can use E-stablization (with IBIS switched off) for panned shots, without having to worry about any 'stickiness.' Just note that there is a slight crop factor (you can see an example of it on the Video & Features page of the review).'

Would be better to have a firmware compromise but at least seems like Panasonic will try to fix it.

• Internal codec is 4:2:0 8bit. 4:2:2 8bit only via hdmi.

• For video, compare to GX85 is there a better image quality, better color, skin tone, any noticeable improvements (besides hardware)? I know G85 has 4:2:2 8bit. But if you are not using a green screen, is there a noticeable difference?

• @DrDave No doubt about that. That wasn't my point, but again, time will tell. I hope/bet it will be enhanced by firmware. This is an interesting cam for sure!

• Re stab sound--this is only an issue if you are using the in cam sound, but you can hear some faint noise from any IS system both in lens and in cam.
    Let me just say that this is an illusion--the compression doesn't find anything to compress, so it keeps jacking up the volume to normalize the sound. In other words, testing the the compression system in a quiet room is exactly the wrong way to test the noise. If it didn't boost the signal, it would not be doing its job. If you quietly farted, it would also boost the signal into the roar of a jet engine.

• @kritzresn I have not seen significant moiree of stair stepping on either the GX85 or the G7. After grading a ton of side by side LOG footy and regular footy of the same scene, the GX85 is maybe one percent sharper but the LOG+leeming LUT gives at least a stop of extra DR which makes the image really pop on the screen.

• @Gaspard the GX85 is way better as the vid shows with the two cams on the same mount.