Personal View site logo
GH4 — Use iPhone as wireless monitor
  • 153 Replies sorted by
  • Wonderful work ! Could this be extended to the G80 G85 midels in the future?

• @suzres I think it might work already. I don't have a G80 or G85, so I can't test. You are welcome to test the app if you want to. DM your email and I will add you.

• Update: Scopes 1.0 build 3

• Added support for iOS 9
    • Tested more devices; iPhone 5, iPhone 6S+, iPad Air, iPad Mini 4

Available now via Testflight beta.

If you want to beta test, click this link and fill out the form. You will then receive an email from Apple with instructions on how to install the app.

I've received questions about what it looks like on iPad. CLICK HERE for an uncompressed screenshot taken on an iPad Air. If you download and open the image on your iPad you will see what it looks like.

IMG_1224.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    IMG_1225.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 959K
  • I am testing it out right now :)

• For anyone interested in testing out on ANY device, here's a raw JPEG frame from the GH4 feed. Open it up on your device, make sure it's full screen, and you'll see the quality. This frame is in motion.

packet_data_297.jpg
    640 x 360 - 26K
  • Like it! Latency not much of a problem either. Not the highest resolution, but definitely useful. Any possibility of getting the other overlays as well? Focus peaking works, but what about the rest? Out of the question or future possibility?

• @Gamer_s Anything that isn't sent in the picture from the camera I will have to rewrite in iOS. I'm thinking that shutter angle, ISO, aperture are the most important.

• would love to have this for android too! great work man

• @fomalhaut3 For the time being I'm not looking into doing this. But maybe in the future.

(My friend who is a professional Android developer is looking into it, so maybe he will think it's interesting enough to start working on.)

• In order to make it easier for me to track the beta invite requests, I'm going to accept new requests via the below link.

--> CLICK HERE TO REQUEST A BETA INVITE

• Personal Review : I tried Scopes app with GH4 and it works GREAT ! Well done ! It's cool because it's SIMPLE. Peaking and zebra are here and latency is ok for framing :-) Speed connection between camera and app is really easy and it's seems to be more speed than with Pana app :-) Definitevely i will use this more than Pana app, for exemple with a client who has an iphone :-) thanks !

• Tested (Gh4 and Ipad Air 1). Works great. Really fast connection. Almost no lag (like original img app). Full screen during recording. Compatible with all modes (including Vlog and Anamorphic 4:3) Good work Marcus!!

IMG-20161019-WA0017.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 159K
    IMG-20161019-WA0022.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 174K
  • @gabilourson Thanks! I'm not sure the camera supports more than one connection, just so you know. :)

@Grimor Thanks a lot! And I'm super excited to see pictures of Scopes with your iPad and GH4. It's so cool to see my app running on other places in the world. :)

• Sadly I sold my G6 to pay part of my new G80. Hopefully in about 2 weeks I can try the new Lumix model. So many posibilities for thi app: Luts preview , anamorphic de-squeze , remote trigger, etc...

• @Grimor

Yeah, definitely. I will at some point start looking into image processing, and that will open up the possibility to use some type of LUT preview.

........... oh and here's a picture of an Android prototype up and running.

IMG_1226.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • Tested on iPad mini 4 . No delay. Color is almost the same, I only had to manually fix the brightness on the iPad to match the camera LCD. I get focus peaking and zebra on the iPad screen, great.

• Just tested on iPhone 6s.

First of all, it just works. That's the best part. No weirdness, no settings, menus, lag, etc. Launches quickly, connects quickly and bam.

Also, considering how much lag there is on the hdmi out of the GH4, I'm very impressed that this actually seems faster. You really can snap pan and it's right there with you. Very impressive.

Ok, some cons:

The main one is not at all a con of the app. It's just the resolution is low, which is not the app's fault at all. However, this does make critical focus difficult. There's peaking, and that works well. However, peaking is based on contrast. If you are using a profile that is low con, such as cine D, and you crank down the contrast even further, which many of us do, then you get less and less peaking and here comes the tricky part: If there is plenty of peaking on a focus point in the GH4 monitor, then you will see enough peaking on the phone app for focus, but if you are on that edge where the peaking is only barely showing up on the GH4 monitor, it won't show at all on the phone.

Again, that's not really the app's fault, but something to be aware of and/or test for yourself.

Overall, this is very nice though.

• This begs the question: Can the camera be hacked to support a higher resolution feed, or is that the limit of the hardware?

• @_OZ If anyone wants to hack the camera to try and get that working I'm happy to support the higher resolution. Hacking would be difficult, because the GH4's current streaming protocol (UDP) supports sending a maximum of 65kb per packet ... and the packets are currently already 25-30kb. In other words ... there IS some headroom, but not a lot. And ... I'm not the right guy for hacking camera firmware. I'm focusing on making the app as good as possible, and there's a lot of great stuff that can be done with the feed that's already there.

Maybe the GH5 will provide higher resolution? :)

• @_OZ Regarding focus peaking—yes that's a bummer. When I get to image processing I might be able to make it better .... but I can't promise anything for that! ;P

• Works very well on an iPad mini. Focus peaking is quite clear & useable. I think its best use is as a client monitor or framing monitor for location work. It would have been handy on a hand-held video clip shoot I did last weekend, as nobody could see what I was shooting. I'm very impressed.

• FYI: I'm having some beta program hiccups. If the app disappeared from your device, don't worry, it'll be back right after Apple has gotten back to me. Sorry for the inconvenience ... but remember, it is beta software. ;)

In the meantime, if you haven't already I'd appreciate if you fill out your gear/usage info here; https://marcus134.typeform.com

• @_Oz @mjas A possible solution (roundabout) for critical focus point with UDP data rates is putting a button for magnifying glass with only a small portion of the screen (center square) with all data in HiRes, rest of the frame in black. So you can critical focus first and then push back to the full screen LoRes for framing.

• @Grimor

I have no idea about the implementation requirements, but that sounds like a fantastic idea if it's possible.

• @mjas

Get good advice - move all development of first version to Android.

So you won't have all this shit with beta testing and such, all will be easy.

And after you will make polished Android version move to iPhone specifics.