Personal View site logo
Sony A6500 topic, 4K, 5-axist stabilizer, touch screen
  • 219 Replies sorted by
  • I mean that with ibis I can get Image stabilisation on my nikon ais lenses. But since I use the sony 50mm I use the autofocus and eyefocus and it works better than manual focus and focus peeking. So I am fine for now with the a6300 and 50 and 35mm oss lenses. I am not in a hurry to replace the a6300 with an a6500

• @RKM What do you mean? Does the a6500 not have eye focus or something?

• IBIS is nice but I don't want to go back to manual focus for portraits. The a6300 + 50 1.8 OSS and eye focus is pretty awesome for portraits photography. I can't keep up with MF at all.

• @Mckinise

I mean 24 fps instead of 23.976. Most of what we do ends up as a DCP. 24 fps means we don't have to speed up everything from 23.976.

Well, all you need to change is audio only. Frame rate can be just left unchanged.

It can be made as very fast batch process.

• GBP price is expected to match EUR due to latest events

img2566.jpg
    500 x 354 - 25K
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I mean 24 fps instead of 23.976. Most of what we do ends up as a DCP. 24 fps means we don't have to speed up everything from 23.976.

If there is a 24fps native option, we can just edit, color, and encode in on a 24 fps timeline with no problems.

Yes, you can have DCPs in different frame rates these days, but if we have a solid 24fps we rarely have to worry about an old projector not playing it correctly.

• it might become OT but do you know a remote solution for shooting and camera setting which allows the use of the NX500 on a drone?

Well, Samsung has their Wi-Fi remote app, but they won't update it anymore as I understand. They fixed Android 6-6.1 issues, but most probably it is it.

• it might become OT but do you know a remote solution for shooting and camera setting which allows the use of the NX500 on a drone?

• In an interesting update, there's a new menu option which changes when the over-heating warning icon appears: there's Standard or High options, the latter simply allowing the camera to keep operating even when it's getting hot, although protection will still kick-in to prevent any damage. When shooting with the earlier A6300, I found the body could get quite hot to touch, and revealingly Sony's engineers recommended using the A6500 on a tripod when the temperature warning had been adjusted - not to do with stabilisation, but because the body may become uncomfortably hot.

Well, just get NX500+pair of good lenses+Z1 Crane and it will be all cool :-)

• Wow, he wasn't even wearing oven mitts in the video.

• What you mean?

• 3840 x 2160 (24p, 100 M)
    • 3840 x 2160 (24p, 60 M)

All this "true 4K" can be slightly better for cropping, but useless for all else.

• No Cinema 4k or real 24 fps. Sad, but expected.

• Esp since a new 6300 can be had for less than 1k. F#ck you Sony.

Samsung NX500, can be got much cheaper :-) And make much smaller videos if you want it with same quality, or you can use almost twice the bitrate comparing to A6500.

It also has set of good small lenses, as well as too amazing F2-2,8 zooms.

• DPReview and cameralabs reported that it still using the crop in 30p mode. So it looks like sensor/readout stays the same meaning there should be no improvement in rolling shutter speed.

• has it S35 in 30p or is it still crop?

• European price is ridiculous... Esp since a new 6300 can be had for less than 1k. F#ck you Sony.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Enhanced Zebra function is ideally suited to working with S-Log gamma profiles and aids in monitoring exposure values in high-contrast scenes. Video signal level targets can be set from 0 to 109, and specific ranges can be set to make exposure level adjustments easier.

In contrast, a Gamma Display Assist function is also available that displays scenes with natural contrast when recording with S-Log settings. This function converts imagery to the ITU709 profile for easier on-camera monitoring.

So you can look at normal picture while recording S-Log. And look at proper zebra.

A6300 has this, as well. Interesting to note, the S-Log3 internal LUT didn't work properly until the first FW update. It was very overexposed for what it should have been showing. Now it's in line with the S-Log2 LUT, and the clipping level has changed, too.

• I think $400 is worth the IBIS and touchscreen. With a proper cage and dummy battery, overheating seems to be less common with a6300. It is a shame about the lack of lenses though. So weird. I'll probably get one though in the next 6 months if nothing better shows up for the same price!

• It is kind of weird camera:

• 4K, but still 30fps, for almost 3 last years no progress here
    • It is for video guys, but overheats, no headphone jack and pricey
    • It is for casual family video shooters, but offers only high bitrates and pricey, again
    • It is kind of for photo guys, but lack of APS-C lenses, bad controls layout and interface
    • It is priced for top 5%, but they better buy more classic Leica or Fujifilm.
  • And UHS-I support only :-(