Personal View site logo
Neway CK550S FullHD 5.5" IPS monitor with SDI

Specifications

• Sturdy metal constriction, silicon rubber case (you can remove it, of course)
    • SIlicon rubber case can be wither neutral black or orange as shown, you can choose
    • HDMI input, output; SDI input and output; SDI-HDMI cross conversion
    • 5.5" 450nits 1500:1 1920x1080 IPS panel
    • Waveform, vectorscope, peaking, false color, histogram, etc
    • Very affordable $410 price including express shipping

Available now.

Price: $480 $410 introduction price
    Shipping: Price already includes express shipping for US/Canada/UK/Australia&NZ/Western Europe. Contact for any other regions.
    I want to buy this monitor.

• 24 Replies sorted by
  • Nice, but that yellow is too much.

• @aldolega

It is not monitor color, monitor is black.

it is rubber case :-) you do not need it for normal work.

• Is there a cheaper version without SDI available?

• Is there a cheaper version without SDI available?

Well, this is current monitor model, maybe it'll be some slightly cheaper one with HDMI, may be not.

• You could easily Plastidip that rubber case with Black Liquid Rubber. The stuff works great and is flexible but tough.

• I want the rubber case, though. Just not in yellow. I guess I'm just a grumpy traditionalist who thinks camera gear should be black. Or silver/metal, but in tasteful amounts. Some leather or wood accents are ok too, I guess. Definitely not bright fucking yellow.

I can understand that these Chinese companies are just copying whatever the big brands are doing, in this case Atomos' yellow and red bumper Shogun cases, but those are ugly too. How hard would it be for them to offer a non-obnoxious color option?

As for PlastiDip, I've PlastiDipped a few things and it peels off of areas that get bumped/abraded frequently (i.e. a protective case that is meant to bumps and abrasions), and it definitely peels off of soft/flexible surfaces (i.e. the rubber/silicone this case is made out of). I actually have a camera cage that I PlastiDipped after modifying it. It was nice for about two months but by six months about half of it had peeled off. I just peeled the 'Dip off the rest of it and am just going to spray-paint it.

This monitor does look nice, though. Nice to see waveform, vectorscope and false color make it to affordable small monitors. I would really like to see one of these Chinese companies make a simple 5" EVF loupe, with how popular the Video Assist and PIX-E5 are, as well as these cheaper monitors, it would be awesome to be able to turn them into an EVF if you wanted.

There's the GRID-5, but I find $200 a bit steep for a plastic cone with a simple optic and an eyecup. Just like I found Zacuto and Kinotehnik's loupe pricing a bit steep when a $30-40 Carryspeed version worked just fine for me for years.

• I would really like to see one of these Chinese companies make a simple 5" EVF loupe, with how popular the Video Assist and PIX-E5 are, as well as these cheaper monitors, it would be awesome to be able to turn them into an EVF if you wanted.

They already work on this and have almost final prototypes :-)

I want the rubber case, though. Just not in yellow. I guess I'm just a grumpy traditionalist who thinks camera gear should be black. Or silver/metal, but in tasteful amounts. Some leather or wood accents are ok too, I guess. Definitely not bright fucking yellow.

Black case will be available in around two weeks.

• Any idea when those 5" EVF Loupe will be showing up? Can't afford SmallHD price and BMVA is too feature limited.

• Any idea when those 5" EVF Loupe will be showing up? Can't afford SmallHD price and BMVA is too feature limited.

I'll check and let you know tomorrow.

• The loupes will be for this specific Norway monitor?

That would be the clincher for me. Looking at the ninja blade atm. This offers more res, same scopes (I don't need the record function) and would be stoked to have the loupe.

Oh and this is so and HDMI, bonus.

Could probably be fine with just HDMI. Then I could go cheaper with the CT500HO model.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev do you know if they were have loupes for that lower end monitor as well?

• Interesting if they made a loop for a 5.5" monitor. Doesn't seem possible without making it obscenely long, but maybe it will use a very cropped portion of the of the screen for the loupe function, kinda like the smallhd sidefinder.

The important thing is that we now have a sub $500 monitor with waveform. That trend should keep going. No reason not to have it in a $300 monitor, especially if it drops SDI.

• ...and regarding the yellow, it's not just about personal preferences. There are event gigs and such where the job of the videographer is to disappear as much as possible while capturing as much as possible.

I mean, this color is good if you're filming on the side of the freeway while jogging and want to avoid getting hit by a car. Otherwise, what....

• No more yellow stuff, you can safely order with black rubber case

img2724.jpg
    800 x 537 - 39K
  • Hey Vitaliy, I am in the game for a new monitor but LUT support is my requirement nobody seems to meet in my price range except the Smallhd 702/701 lite. Is LUT support something that is considered by the manufacturers?

• It is considered.

What exact LUT format you want to use?

• Any 3D LUT format that I can export from Davinci Resolve. I guess that is also a plus for the manufacturers as Resolve is free so anyone can get it. I have used LUTs mostly in Resolve not outside yet, so I do not have a favorite type.

• Hi Vitaliy, looks like an amazing little monitor. Any news on a loupe for it? And does it accept 4k input?

• Any news on a loupe for it?

For now they do not have loupe for it.

And does it accept 4k input?

It does not, look at specs at first post. But each and every camera shooting 4K can be set to output 1080p at HDMI. So it only affects 1:1 zoom for focus.

• Yes I read the specs but just wanted to confirm. Do you know of any small 5/5.5" monitors such as this that have loupes (other than the smallhd)?

• Do you know of any small 5/5.5" monitors such as this that have loupes (other than the smallhd)?

I don't.

• PV Lab Report by @nomad

This time it's my report for the smaller SDI model from Neway, and I can compare it to the larger 7" HDMI model CT730 by Neway – see my report here.

It's nearly twice as expensive as the larger model with HDMI only, but you don't pay that for SDI alone. The whole construction is sturdier, not only the metal frame, which is further protected by a rubber frame. Even if the box showed a photo with the orange one, there was the black one inside as ordered. The menu wheel feels less flimsy too and worked fine all the time. Even the menus look nicer, less pixellated and with clear icons. There are more simulated instruments with more flexible positioning.

Here you don't need to decide beforehand which batteries you'll use, there are both adapters for Sony and Canon included. They are snap on, you don't need to plug a cable and insert four screws like on the CT730. The locking slider works fine for the Canon plate, but the Sony one is not secured perfectly – not a big problem though, it never came off. The only other minor quibble is the position of the rubber frame next to the HDMI input, you'll need to pull it a bit to the side to fully insert the plug. There is supposed to be a fan, but I could never hear it – it's winter over here ;-)

Power consumption is very low when in standby, like 50 mW – other than with the 730 you won't need to remove the battery when it's off for extended periods. Without picture it needs 7 W, with HDMI input 8,8 W, with SDI 7.7 W and with cross-conversion SDI to HDMI active it's 7.9 W. It needs 12 Volt if not running from battery, while the bigger model takes anything between 7 and 24. From a battery at 7.4 V it takes 8.1 W with HDMI, not too much of a difference and it's using only 20mW when turned off – that's just the standby LED.

This monitor is stricly HD, no down conversion of UHD. But it cross-converts between HDMI and SDI, so you can connect other equipment of either standard by daisy-chaining it. We bought it for our Blackmagic Cinema Camera and it has no problems using either 1080p or PsF signals (some other monitors expect PsF). Colors are quite good out of the box, but with some minor tweaking the grey ramp is close to perfection. Color range is quite fine too and the input lag is 53ms on average, so it's even faster than it's larger brother. Camera in the lower left, monitor above (this shot was a fast sample): image image

Mon_BMCC.jpg
    800 x 1051 - 452K
    Color_SDI.jpg
    800 x 564 - 139K
    Greyscale_SDI.jpg
    800 x 564 - 105K
    Mon_5,5_SDI.jpg
    800 x 488 - 126K
    Lag_SDI.jpg
    800 x 412 - 95K
  • PV Lab report by @Nomad

Measurement redone with better colorimeter - Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display 2

Things look quite bit better here for this monitor/ Measurements made after fiddling with the color gain and offset values in "User" mode.

Delta E isn't to shabby for such a monitor, only shadows are weak:

Color space is pretty good too:

Finally the color curves:

Delta_E_5,5_Zoll_HP.jpg
    800 x 235 - 111K
    Grayscale_new.jpg
    800 x 564 - 88K
    Colors_new.jpg
    800 x 564 - 107K
  • @nomad

This one do not have such error, but also not ideal.

Almost all colorimeters except latest X-Rite usually lie a little.