Canon EOS M5 topic

• 24.2mp APS-C CMOS sensor with Dual Pixel CMOS AF
    • DIGIC 7 main LSI
    • 1/4000 to 30 sec shutter speed, 1/200 flash synchro speed
    • 9fps shooting without AF, 7fps with AF
    • Tilting 3.2" 1.62Mdot LCD
    • Electronic viewfinder with 2.36mdot resolution
    • 7fps shooting
    • 5 axis electronic stabilizer (no real sensor movement!)
    • Only 1080p60 video 35Mbit, all other modes restricted by 24Mbit
    • No peaking or zebras
    • Wi-Fi, NFC, Bluetooth
    • SDHC memory slot, UHS-I compatible
    • Will come with new lens - EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM
    • 115.6 x 89.2 x 60.6 mm
    • 427g
    • Body Price - $979 preorder at https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-M5-Camera-Body/dp/B01LWUQDHJ/
    • 18-150mm Kit - $1,479 preorder at https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-M5-Camera-Body/dp/B01LWUQDHJ/

More info at http://mseriescameras.usa.canon.com/10094_live/index.html

• 58 Replies sorted by
  • PR

MELVILLE, N.Y., September 15, 2016 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the latest additions to its EOS M series system – the new Canon EOS M5 Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera and compact EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens. The EOS M5 camera features a 24.2 Megapixel APS-C sized CMOS sensor, DIGIC 7 Image Processor and the fastest AF speed in the EOS M-series, enabling photographers to capture clear, sharp, high-resolution images and Full HD videos. It is also the first in the EOS camera line to include the low energy Bluetooth® Smart feature that can maintain a constant connection with your compatible smartphone or tablet when you use the Canon camera connect application and both applications are active. The versatile EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens is compatible with all Canon EOS M series digital cameras, and is a great option for photographers looking to capture scenic landscapes while traveling to close-up shots from afar.

“The new capabilities found in the Canon EOS M5 Camera and EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens set a new standard for our EOS M series of cameras and lenses, showing that Canon is constantly incorporating performance enhancements desired by our customers,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “When paired together, the new EOS M5 camera and EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens provide image-makers of all levels with powerful tools that enable them to capture a variety of remarkable images and videos.”

In addition, advanced photographers will appreciate the improved operability of the EOS M5 camera. It has a built-in electronic viewfinder (EVF) and Canon’s Dual Pixel CMOS AF for capturing stills and shooting video with smooth and precise autofocus. This allows for Touch and Drag AF so users can easily switch the subject of their focus by dragging the AF frame directly on the LCD panel, even while looking through the camera’s EVF. Focus peaking allows users to highlight the area of the image that is in focus from within the EVF or LCD monitor. In addition to its touchscreen operability, the EOS M5 camera also has easily accessible dials that allow you to quickly adjust your settings on-the-go.

Key Features of the Canon EOS M5 Camera Include:

• 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor, ISO 100–25600.
    • Fast and smooth Dual Pixel CMOS AF helps you capture stills and shoot video with quick and precise autofocus.
    • High-speed continuous shooting at up to 7.0 fps (up to 9.0 fps with AF Lock) and new DIGIC 7 Image Processor with improved AF tracking performance.
    • Full HD 60p helps capture fast-moving subjects and brilliant results in MP4 format.
    • Digital IS with 5-axis image stabilization when shooting movies plus increased image stabilization with both lens optical IS and in-camera digital IS when shooting with an IS lens.
    • Built-in high-resolution EVF (approx. 2,360,000 dots) with new Touch and Drag AF lets you manually move the AF frame displayed for more precise focusing in different shooting situations.
    • Intuitive touch screen 3.2 tilt-type (85° up/180° down) LCD monitor (approx. 1,620,000 dots) enables flexible positioning and clear viewing.
    • Easily customize functions while shooting using the Main Dial, Quick Control Dial, Dial Function Button and Exposure Compensation Dial.
    • Built-in Wi-Fi® and NFC allows for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos.
    • Equipped with Bluetooth® Smart for smooth pairing with a compatible smartphone by powering on both devices for easy photo sharing and remote control possibilities.
    • Shorter camera startup time and interval time between each image capture for a more efficient shooting experience.
    • Compatible with EF-M lenses as well as the full line of EF and EF-S lenses and Speedlites for expanded creativity.

The Canon EOS M5 also features Combination IS with in-camera 5-axis image stabilization, while capturing video, a first in the Canon EOS series. With a compatible lens attached, Combination IS leverages optical IS and in-camera digital IS to help create tremendously smooth videos. The DIGIC 7 Image Processor makes the 5-axis IS possible even with lenses that do not contain IS, because the in-camera image stabilization functions independently to help reduce camera shake when shooting videos.

Additionally, the EOS M5 camera shoots impressive time-lapse videos. The EOS M5 camera also allows for easy panning by setting the optimal shutter speed after analyzing the camera’s panning speed and how fast the subject is moving.

Pricing and Availability

The new Canon EOS M5 camera is scheduled to be available through authorized Canon dealers or through the Canon Online store at http://shop.usa.canon.com/ in November 2016, for an estimated retail price of $979.99 for the body only. It will also be sold as part of body-and-lens kits with EF-M 15-45mm/F3.5-6.3 IS STM zoom kit lens (estimated retail price of $1,099.00, scheduled to be available early November 2016x), and with the new EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens for an (estimated retail price of $1,479.00x, scheduled to be available early December 2016x)

• 5 axis electronic stabilizer (no real sensor movement!)

Does anyone know what that means? Compared to Panasonic IBIS?

• It means that video would have to always be cropped when the stabilizer is on.

• Look like a Fuji by Canon.

• It is 80d, just mirrorless and with different screen.

• Ok VK, but the design remember me a Fuji.

• Looks more like a merge of the M3 body with the G5X EVF ...
    Plus the Panasonic G7 FN + wheel combo on top. ^^

Overall it has potential to be a good seller - If the price isn´t that high.
    (At least it seems to be a good upgrade / refresh of the EOS-M lineup.)

• Specs updated, images replaced to better one.

• I always liked these cams, they just had crap video.

• @DrDave

What do you like in them?

• I always liked the Canon color, and I think they take good photos. I mean the 5D Mark II was just an amazing camera for the time. If the M5 really is a 24.2 million pixel APS-C CMOS sensor, that's some interesting technology. One of the issues I have with the Panasonics is the color is just a little weird, although in this regard they are now much, much better. Lets say I bring 6 to 12 cams to a shoot, I would like some APS-C or even larger mixed in with the 4/3 sensors so I can have some shots with more or less DOF.

Basically, I wish someone, Canon, whatever, would make a Sony a6300 that did not overheat. APSC, 4K. Samsung almost pulled it off, that's some great technology, but the color science is a bit off. And the Fuji's are just getting into video. Should all be good in a year or two and then we will be into 6K I guess and I'll have to sell everything and start all over.

At this point, I have a whole cartload of m4/3 lenses, and 10 bodies, so maybe I'm stuck, but I could use one or two APSC cams and just buy the glass to go with them. Maybe Sony will fix the 6300. Next set I will use some of the new Log luts, but I still won't get the ultra-fine detail of the 6300. The 6300 just pulls a bit more detail out of the frame.

Anyone want a GH2? Makes your 12mm a 10.8mm!

• One of the issues I have with the Panasonics is the color is just a little weird.

What exactly you mean under weird? Was color of all models you had the same?

Samsung almost pulled it off, that's some great technology, but the color science is a bit off.

What exact color science? As each of modern cameras has lots of settings.

I would like some APS-C or even larger mixed in with the 4/3 sensors so I can have some shots with more or less DOF.

Get F0.95 m43 lenses. They are affordable.

• Yeah, the color on all the Panasonics is a little weird but it gets better and better--you can grade it, of course. There were green shifts, magenta shifts, yellow highlights, all kinds of stuff. They all have similar problems, and they are all slightly different. In general, there is a color cast of some kind, and if you zero it out the skin tones are off. The main thing is a lot of the skin tones just look pasty and chalky, like cheap pizza. The Sony color is also getting better and now it is better than Panasonic and there is hardly any difference to Canon, it's really close. The Fuji color is really very good, the Samsung camera is not as good. The Sony a6300 has the best sharpness/color/still photo balance if you want it all in one cam, unless you go full frame, although, I have not tried the LS300 (it looks softer than the a6300 in samples, but you never know). BUT the Sony overheats so that is unacceptable, without a big fan.
    I have tried The Voigtlander super fast lenses--they aren't sharp wide open like the Olly 75 or even the Sigma 60 (surprisingly sharp lens). Even stopped down, nothing in the 4/3 camp is a sharp as the Sony a6300.

Look, I have mostly Panasonics, they don't overheat and they have gotten better and better. And the quality compared to five years ago is amazing.

So I would love to see Canon make something, but they lost their way. I would love to see Sony put out an a6300 Mark II with passive cooling that works and a few more options.

• Official now, first post updated

• I love it that the DPReview guy says it's the best EOS M in the series, like describing the best looking turd in the sandbox.

• Seems like video quality from EOS M5 is worse than 80D

• Seems like video quality from EOS M5 is worse than 80D

Why do you think so?

Sensor and LSI are same. Just restricted things by firmware a little.

• Our team Photokina hands-on

img2318.jpg
    800 x 479 - 42K
    img2319.jpg
    800 x 567 - 58K
    img2320.jpg
    800 x 577 - 46K
    img2321.jpg
    800 x 547 - 48K
  • Our Canon interview, mostly about M5

• TOKYO, November 2, 2016—Canon Inc. announced today that the Company’s Powershot G5 X premium digital compact camera was recognized for design excellence by the Hong Kong Design Centre,* winning a DFA Design for Asia Awards Bronze Award.

The Powershot G5 X is equipped with a 1.0 inch large-format CMOS sensor and a built-in electronic viewfinder (EVF). The award-winning compact camera offers intuitive controls afforded by such design features as multiple dials enabling the selection of a range of shooting settings and an electronic dial on the front of the camera.

Canon has submitted entries to the DFA Design for Asia Awards since 2013 and, since that time, has been awarded one Silver Award, three Bronze Awards, and one Merit Award for such products as Cinema EOS System professional cinematography equipment, video camcorders, cameras and interchangeable lenses. Encouraged by this latest industry recognition, Canon will continue striving to create products that combine the highest levels of performance and design excellence.