Personal View site logo
Card reader. Best reliability/bang for buck? 2016
  • The last thread i saw about this was from 2012 here. And my lexar 24-in-1 is waaaay overdue for replacement (it manages to read most SDHC but speed tops at 15mbps)

So, what is everyone using these days?

And are the USB3 models backwards compatible to usb2 in case i need to plug them to my phone?

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • They must be compatible.

Look only for more expensive and good brand ones, as cheap frequently have design, protection and connectors issues.

• Transcend model ts-rdf8k, USB 3, very fast transfers, has worked really well for me for the last 3 years: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/815153-REG/Transcend_TS_RDF8K_USB_3_0_Multi_Card.html

• I have same thing, works ok. One minus - it is too small and too light and USB 3.0 cable is not so flexible.

• I recently ordered a Transcend TS-RDF5K from Amazon for $6.75. I'll test against my $5 eBay clone.

• One thing that Chinese readers have done wrong is protection, connectors and cable. Such thing can just kill your card if something is not ok with port voltage or any other issue.

• Does anyone use a multi sd card reader? We offload around 5 cameras after an event and it would be nice to be able to do multiple cards at once using something specifically designed to deal with this task.

• You can make one yourself from good motherboard with many USB 3.0 ports and such readers. They are small and all you need is sticky tape.

• Yep, the Transcend ts-rdf8k works great.

• i was on the fence about the transcend reader. though the one transcend card i have is OK, just not very familiar with the brand.

amazon has the new model, ts-rdf9k, for $20.

it claims to be compatible with SDXC UHS-II and SDHC UHS-II, which is still a changing standard. So not sure if they just hope to get it right or if they as insiders and now for sure it will not change from what they implemented...

good point Vitaliy_Kiselev. i really liked the heavy weight and the snap on cover on the lexar one. Great product design for something that will always sit at my desk.

well, ordered one. let's see if it is any good. sad thing is that even if they screw up on the UHS-2 support, i will only know when it is too late to return :( Will also find out if i can use it (at which speeds) with a usb 2 phone.

• got the transcend reader.

either it is bad or two of my cards are.

** SDHC 32gb HSM I, sandisk extreme:

• claimed: 90read 95write.

• with the reader: 90read 22write.

** SDXC 64gb HSM I, trasncend:

• claimed: 90read, 60write.

• with the reader: 90read, 22write.

was using a usb3 port with the supplied usb3 cable. values in GB/s

edit: oh and yeah, compared to my old bulky lexar, this looks like a cheap toy. the hard usb3 cable decides where the device will be on my desk, not the other way around :D

• I got the Transcend TS-RDF5K reader and it is the same speed as my cheap eBay reader but it is better built. I don't have any cards faster than "95" so I can't say whether it goes faster. There was a Kingston on Amazon that looked good as well.

• @gcb I have it Velcro'd to the side of my computer case. Short cable, seems flexible enough to me.