Personal View site logo
Windmotion - upsampling to 4:4:4
  • 263 Replies sorted by
  • You might need someone to explain marketing and user friendly to you. Code manipulation, white boards with formulas, russian tutorials.. The science behind how this thing works is uninteresting to most filmmakers. They are not coders. They only want to know how to use it as simply and effectively as possible to increase image quality. Your job is to do the behind the scenes work and provide a clean user interface.

Plus, I mean, seriously, you haven't shown anything, nothing that supports your claims of the effectiveness of this product.

• @tonalt there is no needs in a special intro video, because the program understanding is simple. It is a complete solution for video quality improvement of semi-pro and consumer camcorders and DSLRs on a post-production film phase to use these cameras in a commercial quality films.

There is no known competitors, so this software is unique. There are many video denoisers those make only denoising. But I know no complete solution that can work with all video quality aspects. I know only DaVinci Revival, that costs $10,000. But I have no knowledge how it works. There is a very simple denoiser NeatVideo that can remove some small noise and it costs $100. A Windmotion denoiser is much better, even in the free edition.

The publishing videos are the parts of the 3-hours complete learning course. It is not "so complicated". Many software learning courses are many hours longer. It is required to get a knowledge.

• How about 1 minute long video that tells what this tool is all about, how it compares to other similar tools and show sample images in comparison to competitors? I'm not sold. Everything looks so complicated, and even instruction videos are in Russian and they are way too long.

• These three videos gives you the complete understanding of all required knowledge to work with Core, Postproduction and Premium editions. Video language is in Russian.

Also some news. The Windmotion beta 5 now supports Panasonic X900, GH2, GH3, GH4, G7, Samsung NX1, Sony NEX-5, NEX-7, HX20, RX100. More camera models support is coming soon.

• @chauncy I will post many examples later when the main program code will get more quality stable. I have many improvements every day. Also I need a license to use videos, because I have no any new camera you use. So I cannot create test videos right now. Probably our beta testers who are currently have an access to the Postproduction edition will publish the first tests soon.

• @chanucy Have some examples. These are some PNG captures of the original 4K25p 100Mbit file from my Panasonic G7, shot at 6400 ISO, and from the processed files using the templates in WindMotion 2.0.3. PP beta. The reduction of noise is very significant. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Z5pBaxWjTIZVFLSUxpZXowZ1k DISCLAIMER: This is a m43 camera, and this was shot with the kit lens, (equiv FF to 24mm F7 (12-42 3.5-5.6))

• I'd have to see some examples to buy a paid product. I haven't as yet see anything anywhere that really improves image quality with the magical 420 to 444. It seems to me to be math and not real.

I run my nx1 with sharpness at -10 and I wouldn't call the image plastic. I've just ran core and the resulting image is brighter and more saturated with higher contrast. But that's the only difference. The earlier versions didn't do that, but the image improvment in terms of some aliasing improvment and clearer detail in some spots isn't there in new version.

• @chauncy Post edited (I had wrong previous answer):

8-bit output is possible:

For UHD: ConvertToYV24().Spline64Resize(1920,1080)

For Cinema4K you should also use Crop() filter to get an UHD frame first.

This requires a 8-bit source. So, after noise reduction you can convert 16 bit to 8 and resize the result.

10-bit output is not possible by default code. You can search for a Dither plugin documentation (it is included in Core). Use Resize16 function that requires a stacked input. So, if you write some code, you can get it in 10-bit.

Postproduction and Premium editions are for 4K to 1080p by design.

PS. Your camera is already supported in the current internal build. I fixed also some 4K Samsung issues, for example, banding that gives a "plastic" look. I dont know if this a FFmpeg H.265 issue or Samsung writes that, but I have low level banding in all Samsung camera sources from many users.

• how do you output 1080p 444 from 4k 420? I can't find anything in the readme or bat files that explains where to do that.

Thanks.

• @producer, uncomment this line:

#RangeY(a=16, b=255, ao=16, bo=235, g=1.0, bitdepth=OutBitdepth)

It is a levels filter. Here are: a,b - input levels, ao,bo - output levels, g-gamma

For AVCHD use a=16, b=255 (Sony and Panasonic cameras) For Samsung and some Canon use a=0, b=255.

Some Canon require Bt.601 to Bt.709 color matrix conversion to get a Rec.709 output. Use this filter:

#Matrix(from=601, to=OutMatrix, bitdepth=OutBitdepth)

You can also correct a saturation using:

#Saturation(offset=-50, bitdepth=OutBitdepth)

here is offset=0 means no any changes. Try different values.

The Matrix filter allows also color correction, but this feature is not enabled in the default template.

The full Matrix parameters with default values: Matrix(from=601, to=709, rg=1.0, gg=1.0, bg=1.0, a=16, b=235, ao=16, bo=235, bitdepth=8)

Here you can use rg, gg, bg: values. They are RGB gain values. Change also the "from" value to 709 to get Bt.709 colors unchanged.

All filter communications are in 16 bit (processing using floating point 32-bit internally for each filter), so you will get no any quality loss if export 10-bit video.

PS. For complex color correction I recommend a 3D LUT filter. It is included in the Premium edition only, but you can buy it separately (USD $20). You can get any colors you want. The Windmotion editor supports png image save, so you can create this 3D LUT file using exported png file in any supported color corrector (for example, in BMD Fusion).

• @rean: Is it possible to change contrast and eventually levels (curves) within WindMotion Core? And how?

• Panasonic G7 (UHD video frame) 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 restoration example. The image contains one color channel look in a difference viewer (Diff/Before/After) (resized to 1080 by the forum software)

You can see in the Diff side some rectangles - it is a H.264 low bitrate artifacts restoration. As you can see, the original channel looks blurred. Some fine details are restored- they are not available in the original frame - it is a result of my temporal restoration algorithms. New details are calculated using 3 frames. Also you can see sharp edges. This is a result of 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 resolution restoration algorithms. As you see, it works correctly on a blurred image.

The whole restoration speed of this UHD video is 0.9 fps on Intel Core I7K 4Ghz. The quality may be better and you can get more details, but the processing time will be increased. This image is a result of the speed/quality balancing optimization. I create this optimization for every camera supported. It is a cause why I asked many camera examples in different lighting/setting conditions.

I intended to make a premium quality solution. So I'm very picky. We can make some garbage, and we can create a really awesome tool to be used by thousands of creative people those expect the highest level of program quality for the money spent and the CPU time.

Restoration420to444.png
    1920 x 1080 - 720K
  • You asked for my camera's file in the previous post in order to see what's needed for a camera profile:

"I can add your camera support if you will send me camera files. "

I was just using vimeo as a way to get it to you. There should have been a link, ORIGINAL, for the original 4k file, size 230 mb, under the download button. But vimeo seems to be doing wierd things.

Maybe you can try the direct vimeo link to the file https://player.vimeo.com/external/152054049.source.mp4?s=e822a10a9e4369b5e2d63e4d723419688938435e&profile_id=0&download=1

If there are problems tell me if you have a preferred way to get the file.

• @chauncy for what is this link? I see a x264 reencoded to low quality 16.5 Mbps file in different resolutions. I found no original source download link there. Do you ask me to reencode it to 1080? Or what? I do not understand your idea.

PS. Wm 2.0.1 is published.

• ok, here is the file I've been working with. This is UHD h265 with 80kbs bit rate, which is like 160kbs in h264. There are a few dust spots from a dirty sensor, so ignore them. This is straight out of the camera with no grading at all.

When this is exported as h264 pro res or through windmotion the file size is 10 times larger.

password: nx1 https://vimeo.com/kevinconder/nx1h265

if you click on the download button, you can download original file. I want to see this in 1080p 444.

• @chauncy, great! I will update an audio codec to PCM by default in a next program update.

4:2:0 output in ProRes gives a "truncated 4:2:2" output (many subpixels are the same) and it looks the same as 4:2:0. ProRes codec does not support 4:2:0.

4:2:2 and 4:4:4 denoise is supported in non-free Windmotion releases as a part of a specialized Camera-optimized templates. These editions process denoise and another improvements in Y, U, V separately and you can get true 4:2:0 or 4:4:4 output.

Also please note, true 4:4:4 4K output is possible for very high quality 4K cameras with a big sensor and good bright lenses. Many 4K cameras produce very noised image, so 4:4:4 is useless and processing waste time (it is 1.5 - 2 times slower). But we can get true 1080p 4:4:4 output. This looks awesome. Currently I have Panasonic GH4 and G7 supported (currently in development and testing phase). I can add your camera support if you will send me camera files.

PS. H.265 cameras have additional 4:4:4-compatible effect in resolution reconstruction, because H.265 codec should produce less motion artifacts than H.264. But this is a theoretical idea - I have not yet tested it. 100 mbps source is not enough to encode 4K. It should be 5-10 times bigger to get a quality output.

• the pcm_be allowed premeir to import the files. I am seeing a slight quality difference in areas of the image. I ran at 4:2:0 then also ran @set video_codec=prores 4:2:2 @set qscale=2.

Is there any difference with a native 4k 4:2:0 file when windmotion renders it to 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 or 4:4:4? I realize it is making 4:2:0 to 4:2:0 look a little better but will the others make more of difference in this case. Or are the files just being padded.

I understand this prog is not making 4:2:0 4k into 4:4:4 1080, right? (not that I believed that was possible for an instant). So what ways are there, other than blind changing of parameters, that can increase quality.

I'm inputting h265 files by the way not h264

• @blkngld for better tests you can crop any part of the video and resize it up to 8-16 times (to see anything on Youtube). Then crop the original image and place these resized examples to compare. You will see many difference in these small areas.

Especially you enjoy it as H.264 distorts the image parts and makes these parts moving ;) Windmotion can fix this moving and you will see it. You can see them also on the Windmotion editor, if you will press cursor keys: ← → ← → to see these geometric distortions.

(Click to the playing position and press cursor keys to move it or use mouse scroll. Also you can resize the video view if click to the video window and change mouse scroll). You will see anything Windmotion can do there.

@spacewig, I mean different ISO conditions to see a camera noise difference, details lost, sharping, etc. For example: one example on a sunny daylight, another example for overcast. Or, if you can change ISO and make different ISO versions: noised and clean.

• @rean

By different light source you mean daylight, fluorescent, tungsten both bright and low light? Or one shot that includes varying luminance values?

I'll be able to upload BMPCC files after Monday as I have to meet a deadline.

• Hello all hope you are well.

Rean, I have done some test with your software, to me it seems that my UHD 4K 4:4:4 exported picture quality from your software is sharper than in full 1080P straight from GH2. I am using the Core beta from your site. GH2 running Moon T8. Here are some preliminary tests.

4K with Rean's software:

1080P From GH2:

Are my eyes deceiving me?

• @chauncy Thanks for reporting.

Apple Quick Time should help Premiere to read. Probably it cannot read audio.

By default Windmotion exports ProRes + Alac lossless audio codec. If Adobe do not understand Alac, try to change it to PCM audio:

Open "Out.bat" in any text editor and change "@set audio_codec=alac" to "@set audio_codec=pcm_be".

If this does not help, try another settings - there are many setting alternatives for video, audio and container. You will see the full list there. And send me combinations those can get it to work.

• ok. I ran it with default settings, changing nothing in the bat file. I used a file recorded with Samsung Nx1, 4k with h.265 encoding.

I played it back with windows media player classic from the latest code pack(also played back on quicktme player). I run win 10.

After render, it did appear that some areas had more detail and less moire. But I can't be sure, it may have just been more contrast and a little darker.

I tried to get more side by side comparisons with the original file. But I could not import the new rendered file into the latest adobe premeire cc2015(supports h265). The error premeire gave back was "file has no video or audio stream".

If what I think I saw was real, this would be a good thing. But I need to get the file into a proper editing program before I can be sure.

• @endotoxic please read the readme file from a desktop folder "Windmotion Project".

You have 5 steps to get your video improved (within the Core edition limitations - please note: it is a 90% of Windmotion 1.x power):

1. Place your video on the folder "Windmotion Project". (try one file first to learn)
    2. Run Edit.bat from this folder and it will execute the video script editor with fullscreen video preview.
    3. Change script to apply filters-it is just one edit operation: type "#" or use Backspace to remove "#". To apply, press "Ctrl-S" or use "Update" GUI button.
    4. Close the video editor.
    5. Run Out.bat to get your video improved - the result will be located on the "out" folder there.

It is as simple as using WinWord. As soon as you have some experience in this, you will find it more faster and usable than using many video editors. The Postproduction edition will be more simple-you will not type anything - just bat file execute to get the complete and very quality result. So the software will be really one button-oriented.

After my coming video instructions you will get more knowledge. But it is a bit later.

• @endotoxic

One post instead of 4 is ok.

• Rean i really want to use your software please help me.

this is my company,

www.siriusfilms.pe

i have footage that need this software, but its not user friendly, cant even run the avsynth+