Personal View site logo
Best dedicated green screen editor?
  • Hi, I usually use FCPX for green screen, but in situations with fine hair, it's problematic.

Can anyone recommend a professional tool which can deal with this? Something like a dedicated green screen editor, for video, not stills.

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • @ahbleza

I noticed the same thing with FCPX so I use use Premiere for green screen instead of FCPX. Here is a plugin that you may want to consider luckily its on sale right now.

http://www.phyx.biz/phyxkeyer.html

• Fine hair + after effects

• Thanks guys!

• The keyer in Apple Motion is very good too!

• I've tried different ones, and Robuskey was the best. Click, click and BOOM - perfect key.

http://www.isp.co.jp/en/products/robuskey/video/

• Yes, Robuskey is the best. It produces keys with the same quality as Keylight. And yet it does it with hardly any work on the user's part. There's a lot going on under the hood in Robuskey. Highly, highly recommended!

• What Windows video editor has best keyer?

• FREE, good, and for both FCPX + AE Conduit plugin

http://pixelconduit.com/downloads.html

• I find that the chroma key tools in hitfilm are just awesome. I like them much better than premiere pro.

• Definitely check out red gaint keying Suite.

• Seems that this got out of topic pretty fast. Everyone is suggesting tool which THEY tried :)

• Best is still to use a dedicated software such as NukeX or After Effects. Then inside you get a lot of choices which will deal with every specific situation (including rotoscopy which is a must to retrieve fine details such as hair) The top two keyers are Keylight and Primatte but you can fairly easily get out safe by just using the inside keyer (might need much more work though).

• Upon finishing the final close up angle of Neil using the “Natural” picture profile, they agreed to do one last take for me recording in V-LOG at 4K so I would have some footage to practice with using this new picture profile. In addition, this would be my first chance to work with green screen footage! I do think the skin tones came out very nice...

For green screen I used the Keyer in FCPX. It actually worked quite well except there were problems with the out of focus over the shoulder actor and also with the white wall on the left of frame - I am wondering if these would be typical problem areas in green screen to avoid initially if possible? Or do I just need to learn how to better use the many control options in this software? Would using dedicated software such as mentioned above by GeoffreyKenner actually help solve the above mentioned problems? Regardless, I cropped in to lessen the artifacts then rather than choose just one background, I had fun playing with a few just to see the effect…yet of course the first several are best suited to the cafe/dinner scene.

• Make sure you have the highest quality green screen footage possible. I was quite supprised the other day with a shoot I did with greenscreen gh4 4k. Hair was perfect in fcpx. I was expecting total hair mush!

Blonde is always going to be issues for greenscreen.

• You could look at BlackMagic's Fusion. It has a tool called UltraKeyer. This seems to be better than FCPx when you have a good starting point. Or at least if the green around the subject is in good shape. There's a free version for both Mac and PC.

I feel that for poorer green screen footage FCPx is great.

BMPC/CC raw seems to be really good for green screen work.

• My favourite is Keylight. Remember the foundry sell it as a free frame plugin- so you can buy it without nuke or nukex. (Unless you want nuke)

For a free compositing software natron is developing nicely!