Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • I doubt any company would say "there is already much better and upgraded cameras" as basis for their decision to discontinue their flagship camera. If it were true, they'd still find a very non destructive way to announce their decision to discontinue, and it probably wouldnt be an admission of defeat like saying competitors are better, or we have a better offering coming now, so lets scrap all of europes stock. It would definitely sound much more professional than "there is already much better and upgraded cameras".

• They could have really had significant market share with a smart release of the NX2

Ideally they could, in reality it is capitalist corporation and all they want is profits.

• They could have really had significant market share with a smart release of the NX2. Its a waste really; the new kid who gave up one step too early.

• But the most of the bulk income from sensors that Sony have is from smartphone sensors (specially iPhone ones), isn't it? Samsung could use the same way

Sony has huge issues with LSI and it shows in their cameras (as they can not cross finance it).

For big sensors they are now supplier from almost all brands - so they can live with it. And yes, their small sensor developments are also used.

• But the most of the bulk income from sensors that Sony have is from smartphone sensors (specially iPhone ones), isn't it? Samsung could use the same way.

• And maybe the only company that could fight with Sony in sensor technology - the NX1 sensor is amazing, BSI and with a very high readout speed.

I think it was main issue.

As I told - before companies just paid for top sensors development from compacts profits, and all cameras shared same LSI (some just used previous years one). Now they can not do it. As compacts market degraded.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

And maybe the only company that could fight with Sony in sensor technology - the NX1 sensor is amazing, BSI and with a very high readout speed. And since Sony is holding exclusivity in some of their sensors for months (especially the RX100 IV stacked sensor), it would be very good that another high-tech sensor supplier could be in the market (would love to see a 20mp BSI m4/3 sensor).

• @MarcioK

Official can be only press release. But Samsung is pulling from all countries where I know dealers.

I think this case must be studied and put into history. How management of firm having amazing engineers, extremely strong retail presence and big power to push retail and advertisement, who had two amazing cameras, just fucked things up.

• User in the EOSHD forum apparentely received an official confirmation from Samsung that NX1 is discontinued in Europe.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/more-bad-news-samsung-announces-it-discontinued-the-nx1-in-europe/

• It seems that Samsung will cease NX line soon according to info from dealers.

Samsung will kill camera department.

Probability now is around 99%.

• Ha ha! That's my final for my Cinematography and Lighting class. Thanks for posting! I'm new to video so it's not perfect, but that NX1 makes it easy to get good results.

• In France people are still trying to get their 1400€ back second hand

• In Russia you can get it for around $1000 also.

• http://www.japanphoto.no/samsung-nx?errorViewName=AjaxOrderItemDisplayView Very good price for the body only NX1, 7999 Norwegian crown is about 860€

• The biggest Norwegian photo camera store Japanphoto just launched a sell out of Samsung products. They say: “now its the end with Samsung, we dump pricing”.

• You might ask where all market genius is used in Samsung? Well, it is clear now. For last Bond film Samsung offered $55 million to have their phones present in frame.

• Industry watchers said Samsung Electronics is expected to fire up to 30 percent of its workers as it cuts back on the role of those who work in finance, human resources and marketing.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2015/10/133_189832.html

• Nothing new there. Plenty of manufactures pull from unprofitable markets. That is part of business. You concentrate in the productive markets for your products, especially if they are new ones.

From my talks it has nothing to do with "profitable markets". It is more to do with quality of management, marketing and such. Samsung is known for exceptionally horrible management in local branches.

• "Yet, it is fact that Samsung is pulling their cameras from retail, sometimes they do not sell two of their newest models (NX500 and NX1) is some countries at all."

Nothing new there. Plenty of manufactures pull from unprofitable markets. That is part of business. You concentrate in the productive markets for your products, especially if they are new ones.

• @johncaballero did they mention anything about future firmware plans and/or a log profile?

@majoraxis

They did not mention anything more about firmware updates. They were very upbeat about the cameras and the lenses though. One of the reps said there were more products down the pipeline. Maybe they smart up and save the updates for the NX2/NX600! But even if they stopped producing cameras some other manufacturer would buy the rights to the technology and use it. It is too good.

• At the NY Photo Plus Show last week Samsung was alive and well promoting the heck out of their photo products. Reps at the booth just laughed when I asked about the demise of the NX1.

Yet, it is fact that Samsung is pulling their cameras from retail, sometimes they do not sell two of their newest models (NX500 and NX1) is some countries at all.

• @johncaballero did they mention anything about future firmware plans and/or a log profile?

Thanks!

Mark