Personal View site logo
WorkHorse
  • WorkHorse patch for GH2 hack, the result of developing after my three previous threads here in the Top Settings (check last posts to download the final versions):

This is the best thing I loaded to my GH2. Stable, reliable and excelent image quality in all modes, works for cards with 24/30/36/45MBps constant write speed or above depending on the version loaded. Best option is to use 45MBps cards and above, which I used for the tests.

setg is the recomended version, safe and great quality. seth and seti are for lower speed cards, but does not have same quality of setg. setj has more aggressive settings for even better quality.

four versions: (use setg if you have proper card, it is safe and avoids all mosquito noise and texture mud in the high bitrate modes)

setg: for cards with constant write speed 36MBps and above, I frames compression = 3

seth: for cards with constant write speed 24MBps and above, I frames compression = 4

seti: for cards with constant write speed 30MBps and above, I frames compression = 3.5

setj: for cards with constant write speed 45MBps and above, I frames compression = 2.5

The base is FlowMotion 2.02 from LPowell because he did a great careful job to tweak the quantization, matrices and tables and get perfect image quality in all modes with quiet camera or camera movements.

The modifications are in datarate and gop to make it completely stable and reliable without stop recording in all modes. For best image quality use the 24H, SH, FSH and HBR. The 24L, H, FH does not have the same quality and are for save memory space and for you to try in lower speed cards if needed.

The bitrate is very well distributed among the I, B and P frames giving a fluid random texture and noise in all modes and isos, The gops and datarate are well balanced to each other with the benefits from the quantization, matrices and tables from FM202.

In the setg 24H, SH, FSH and HBR, the texture is beautiful, noise is homogene, no macroblocking, no mosquito noise, no texture mud. Great use of the 8 bit codec in dark areas, excelent high iso performance which cleans ok with neatvideo and with a small amount of film grain you cannot tell it was shoot in high iso. Optimal results for blu-ray output and big screen projection.

720p 60p upscaled to 1080p works great for slow motion, just use your skill to denoise, sharp and upscale it. Apply film grain to your taste. If you like the feel of the original noise, just keep it, or just remove a little bit of chroma noise keeping the luma noise, and no need film grain.

No stop recording in all tests with setg. tested with green grass under sun and shadow and also tested in all modes with the four Stray's colour death charts. Tests done with 6400 iso which is very difficult to the hack to handle and it worked ok. Tests also done in the end of card space (3 minutes left) and no stop recording also. Sandisk 32GB SDHC 45MBps was used.

The audio has Pasadena settings, from FM202.

Spanning was not tested with this patch. Also it needs transcoding with 5DtoRGB free software before editing to avoid the diagonal pattern (rain). It is clean after converted to Apple ProRes. I Converted to the LT version with great results and smaller fle sizes.

If somebody wants to test spanning I recomend to use the lower bitrate modes and tweak the TOP and BOTTOM datarate limits in the advanced settings for testers in PTool.

Enjoy!

• 227 Replies sorted by
  • Now I remember that you asked me to post this patch and I was confused because I really never did it. It was a patch attached in one of your posts, maybe I made mistake of the name of the patch somehow... I see the Scalling Tables that need to be copy/pasted, but what about FallBack and Deblocking Tables (Flag / High)? And yet, tell me more about "apefos_444_02", please!

• you just need to copy the "scalling tables" from one patch and paste into another

you know how to do, you already did it, you used the matrices sharp05 in the pinwheel patch.

• @apefos: Please, give me explanation or just step-by-step! I also want to try the same procedure with your "apefos_444_02", but really don't know what and how to do. Would you write more info about "apefos_444_02" matrix and its effect on the image? Thanks!

• @apefos: Would you explain in details, please? What exactly to copy/paste exactly? Once done, what do you think the result will be?

• I ended my work with patches.

You can copy/paste the matrices from one patch to another

• @apefos: I decided to test for very 1st time one of the older GH2 patches 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 Soft'. What I notice is the very big noise at ISO640 or higher.

So, is it possible to combine the parameters of "Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 Soft" and The End Intra "April" (mentioned by @thpluto) in one new patch?

Also, since you created few "Sharp" patches, would you try your best to make a "Softest" patch?

• I found my old notes, where I tested a ridiculous amount of patches and wrote down the pros and cons. I have tried almost all of your stable patches. I tested sharp for sure but from the gibberish I see here I was seeing more even grain/noise across the image and in the shadows with Workhorse so that threw Sharp out of the running.

I have in my notes that the best patches I've EVER used have been The End Intra (April), and CanisMajoris (PM).

If those two had a baby that kept ETC, and Live Preview that would be probably one the best patches ever. I don't have any post production notes for the patches though, so it's hard to say which grade and correct better.

• If you are considering shadows, noise and macroblocking in your tests, there are other patches which can be interesting to try and compare, the "Sharp_05", they are in the zip in the link below, in intra and stable versions:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/205500#Comment_205500

• the latest versions of NR4 patches are inside the zip file in this post (the zip is 02april2015):

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/194204#Comment_194204

• @apefos can you PM me a link to the patch you are talking about. When I check out The End patch thread there are many iterations, and many updates, and tests. I am not certain which patch is the one you are referencing.

• I'll have to try that one again. If I remember correctly the all-I hacks tend to not work in live preview-on camera. For me thats a useful tool to re-check shots to make sure I have them.

• Thanks for comparison.

Did you try "The End NR4 Intra 120" ? It is all intraframe in 24p and 120Mbps datarate and avoids all macroblocking. The other version "The End NR4 Stable" has a stronger noise reduction for more smooth shadows and dark areas, a different approach.

It is important to use "The End NR4" versions, not just "The End", because "NR4" versions are much more improved.

• Workhorse sept 9th seems to be more friendly to lumetri color and lighting corrections in post, also the noise patterning for just about everything seems more fine and smoother with the cinema profile at 200 to 1600 iso. The end looks great but I tend to find macroblocking in the falloffs of shadows and as soon as I start pushing colors/LUTs the macroblocks become very prominent. From memory I remember the workhorse noise "dances" more slowly than the End or other hacks for that matter. Noise is fine to me but when it is dancing erratically and has completely different colors than the scene is when it is unusable.

• @thpluto how do you compare 'workhorse' vs 'the end nr4' patches?

• More Sept 9th Workhorse this time in much more low light.

GH2 Nikon Nikkor 28mm @ f2.8 I had to crank down the shutter a lot and was typically @ 1/40 and sometimes lower so i could milk out any dynamic range I could get. Cinema Profile From memory I think everything is cranked down to -2, except NR, That I set to 0

In grading the image: There was not a whole lot of ability to adjust the red's and orange color ranges. Part of that is not being able to 100% adjust color temperature when needed, and this was hardly a controlled set.

However there as a lot of latitude in the highlights.

The noise was an issue, but I knew that going in considering I was only going to open up to f2.8, would've loved 1.8 or heck .95 but the 28mm is what I had and it went to 2.8...better luck next time. There's a small clip that was done with a cellphone, I'll let you figure that one out.

Thanks again Apefos, still love this hack.

• Recently used the Sept 9th Workhorse and The End Patches to make this little video. Thanks to Apefos for his hard work on all of his patches. Vimeo

Youtube

• @apefos i-dynamic off, no image stabilization, no auto focus it was in low light high ISO, and lit room. Will report today with all those turned on.

• @TrackZillas good report. allow me a question: idynamic, image stabilizer and auto focus work in 720p50 in the gspot 112Mbps pal version? the frames size you got was in low light high iso with less detail in image? thanks.

@frullaccia I am doing some study about matrix, I am starting to understand. but as I am a newbie on this, there is still a long way to go.

• @apefos @frullaccia Was busy with video shoot that's why I couldn't test new Patches. Just Tested your new Patch G-Spot on the Highest setting 112mbs / Pal 720p-50fps it's flawless man gives long recording. Max i-frames 276 & P-frames 176 Quality is phenomenal as well. Great work team gonna keep testing it's night time around my way but in the morning I'll test it out outdoors in more extreme situations.

• @frullaccia to my eyes the last uploaded versions here in this topic looks ok. including the new ones in the gspot topic with careful tweaking in gop tables. but people have different preferences.

to be honest, matrices are a deep sea full of mysteries... so I do not know if I can improve matrices, I am taking it easy, slowly now... there is no other tweaking to do anymore, just matrices coud be changed, so it seems there will be no new versions for a while.

• @apefos In fact your older versions (5, 7, 9 september) need a deeper testing, because I like very much the last Workhorse Flowmotion, but I don't know if it is really the best of the bunch.

Canis Majoris has also an interesting PM version, supposedly made for afternoon light, which seems to be better working than CMajoris Night in HBR mode.

All these old patches have low chroma fidelity, compared with these two last months series!

• @NikolayM nice images. it is interesting you ike the versions 07/09, seems that the old versions have something special on them... I will compare with the new versions. @JayUKB liked the 05/09 versions, @frullaccia liked the nebula-workhorse from sometime ago and made me start to think about matrices.

@frullaccia I am looking into the the patches you said, I downloaded them. I did some research and found that people like the canis for fow light,

I am trying to understand the hexadecimal numbers in the tables, seems that the frist two digits are for the chroma table and last two digits are for luma table, but can be the opposite, I don't know. from 00 to FF these hexadecimal digitas vary from 0 to 255. it seems they determines how much each pixel will be compressed in the block. there are 48 numbers but I don't know the configuration of the matrix, if it is 3x16, 4x12 or 6x8... (see image) I did some reading in wiki about matrix and I understood the basic principle of DCT, first number is the average value for all, other numbers are how much they vary comparing to the first number.

I also found this old video with interesting comparisons about textures in dark areas:

vimeo.com/48488695

matrix_options_a_b_c.jpg
    433 x 443 - 55K
  • @NikolayM @apefos Right! This patch gives a natural and balanced picture.

• Work Horse (7 september version)+ Pixco Speed Booster + Helios 44-2

• @apefos At the moment, I doubt there is a patch like that.

For instance, I noticed a real good chroma quality in the last three @driftwood patches: classix, moon t8, and nebula.

Speaking about older patches I liked Flowotion and the Cluster X series. Occasionally I also used Canis Majoris Night, Valkyrie 444, and for different purposes Natural Beta 3. Some of these patches is interesting in dark areas. But none is really good as the last three by Driftwood and all your versions. Not to mention about the great improvement with noise (a main problem) and moiré disturbance.