Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • @cls105 it has nothing to do with software- only license key. If panasonic run out of the printed cards then yes there will be a shortage. This doesn't make sense but there you go. It would be very cool to send you code in email- but they wanted to use carrier pigions.

Maybe there is a hand written apology letter in each kit: "Sorry v-log took so long! Please buy the GH5 when it comes out"

• I haven't updated yet- can anyone verify 200mbps 4k capture? Or was that stupid typo?

• Stupid typo.. unfortunately, although apart from the activate stuff there is no sign of v-log at all, so could be linked with the $ spend?

I do like the new Fn1 exit from timelapse function - useful :)

• @Matthere Was there a list of changes posted?

• That's it..

gh4 2.3.jpg
    624 x 291 - 149K
  • That's great. Could have used it last night. Makes it easier for the next time.

• @Umil,

After seeing the LUT applied to two of Nick Driftwoods sample clips, I Feel like I was on the right track with my grade:

Here are two screen grabs of clips of my grades of Nick Driftwood footage and the curves I used in Avid Media Composer 5.5.5,and a screen grab of the same video clip with just the Vlog L to gh4 LUT applied in Adobe premiere pro CC.

t008b shp.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 686K
    Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 2.49.03 PM.png
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
    VLogL-SHOGUN_S001_S001_T008b.mov_100.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 492K
  • it's the same as the Varicam35 LUT, and it kinda sucks

• @shian what sucks about it?

• Many years ago.

Dark and rainy day in school. Teacher tired as hell.
    Suddenly small @shian raised his hand.
    - What it is, @shian? - teacher asked
    - Well, sine that you draw on desk sucks! - @shian said
    - Did I draw something wrong?
    - No, just sine sucks. And cosine also!

• ask BMD users what they hate about BMD's stock interpretation LUT... It doesn't do a very good job interpreting the log ProRes data into something that is truly ready for grading... same here.

• V-log is pink
    • S-log does a slightly better job but is a little green
    • Cineon is great, but comes in dark and dense, but with a very quick luminance remap and it's perfect.
    ungraded.jpg
    1838 x 1415 - 2M
    Vlog.jpg
    1822 x 1403 - 739K
    s-log.jpg
    1835 x 1420 - 770K
    cineon.jpg
    1835 x 1411 - 717K
    cineon quick level placement.png
    1837 x 1422 - 2M
  • The Varicam LUT is a tad bit too magenta, but it's alot better than the Alexa LOG to REC709 LUT. Still haven't seen a better option.

• Cineon is better, s-log is better, I'll likely create a few different options for those who are dissatisfied with the V-log to 709

• I agree with shian on this one. It does "suck", from what I have been able to test (which is driftwoods samples, and a couple of other samples people have posted, not any charts), I have had much better luck with arri's lut than varicam's lut. obviously LUTs are mostly for shooting, dailies, and for offline footage for editing. Some colorists will use it as a starting point. Varicams lut gives off funky skin tones, and still looks faded, like it hasn't properly mapped the gamma curve

• How does resolve kodak lut work with vlog footage.

• Cineon looks pretty good. S Log isn't great. I'd rather skin shift toward pink than green.

• I cant read all here, but I have a simple question; with V-LOG the GH4 can get a look near to Black Magic?

• BMPCC has 13 stops of DR and this gives you 12, so depending on what you are shooting and how you record, it should be comparable.

• @estarkey7, thanks for the info. The GH4 have 10 stops?

• Has anyone got an idea why the 2.3 firmware is out- but the v-log code cards haven't shipped!? Maybe they are still being printed? Most probably last minute decision to charge for vlog.

• But in all reality, what does it take to print a generated number, and mail it?

• @shian I bought the ColorGear Pro (Plus?) package from you. Nice stuff! Really hope for a guide/new LUTs for this new firmware and V Log thingy

• @discomandavis it would be even quicker to email! I wonder how many carbon emissions would have been generated by sending a serial number? Or at least saved our time waiting, we could all already have it now. Time is most probably worth more in long run- it is the only thing we really have.

• @shian

Keep this topic ads free, please.