Personal View site logo
Brazil: Sometimes it sinks

According to the results of a poll released on Thursday by the Datafolha polling institute, just 8% of respondents surveyed across the country said Ms. Rousseff’s administration was “good or excellent,” while 71% considered it “bad or terrible.” The outcome was the lowest approval rating given for any sitting president since the São Paulo-based polling agency began its survey in 1990.

Huh

• 145 Replies sorted by
  • Things are kind of complicated here.

• Things are kind of complicated here.

It is not very complicated if you look at the Brazilian energy and other resources.

They had huge fail with underwater oil (reserves was false), and here is consequence.

• In the case of oil, the reserves are there - but the cost of extraction in deep water is very high. With the fallen prices of oil, the extraction became not profitable.

• @MarcioK

We do not know if they are possible to get at all with current tech. And if they are extractable at all even :-)

All we can see are some PRs from people who are interested in positive thinking :-)

• Is very possible, it is already being extracting - the production was rising (i have friends that works in the sector), but the costs are high - the plans were made for a price of US$ 60 per barrel.

• Cool thing will be if oil goes to 30s or even 20s.

• Oil is doomed...

...at least for electricity generation...

http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/aeo/electricity_generation.cfm

... in the USA.

Transposing this to Portugal (where fossil fuels are much more expensive and wind much more abundant) I can understand why we are already running 20% on wind.

Fossil hunger can still count on transport and that gordian knot called electric power distribution (adjusting production to demand on the fly) but in the short term there will be Tesla home packs.

The future is bright, you see?

• Oil is doomed...

...at least for electricity generation...

Oil is used to produce around 99% of equipment and parts used for electricity generation and delivery :-)

but in the short term there will be Tesla home packs.

I'll tell you terrible thing - Tesla home packs will be affordable for tiny fraction of people on Earth. Their economics is very uncertain, and company who make them is actual bankrupt running on tax payers money.

• Oil is used to produce around 99% of equipment and parts used for electricity generation and delivery :-)

Bootstrapping will come out eventually. ;) This last month has been f***ng windy.

I'll tell you terrible thing - Tesla home packs will be affordable for tiny fraction of people on Earth. Their economics is very uncertain, and company who make them is actual bankrupt running on tax payers money.

Battery price has only had one steady long term tendency: down!

Maybe that's one of the reasons for them to go bankrupt, but... on the other side, they must be selling too much GH4s. No bankruptcy yet: http://www.macroaxis.com/invest/ratio/PC--Probability-Of-Bankruptcy

But you are right. They are still unaffordable. Perhaps if they stick and they start manufacturing in huge quantities we might see some economies of scale.

It can't be all doom and gloom. For that we have ISIS. But I digress.

• Bootstrapping will come out eventually. ;) This last month has been f***ng windy.

No, it won't, oil is unique and used not only for electricity. And such position I call "religion of science advancement", as instead of logic it is mostly based on extrapolation and believes.

I did not say that batteries won't be cheaper, but let's not fall into "young economists" trap using ruler for predictions :-)

As for Tesla, it is favorite child of banks and media :-) Of not them - they'll be long gone and forgotten.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-08-09/tesla-loses-more-4000-every-car-sold

sales62.jpg
    723 x 436 - 36K
  • The $1.3 billion in benefits for Tesla's Nevada battery factory.

Tesla has already secured a commitment of $126 million in California subsidies to companies developing energy storage technology.

Tesla Motors Inc., SolarCity Corp. and Space Exploration Technologies Corp., known as SpaceX, together have benefited from an estimated $4.9 billion in government support, according to data compiled by The Times.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html

• They had huge fail with underwater oil (reserves was false), and here is consequence.

About five years ago I watched a Brazillian tycoon on TV say he'd secured the rights to Brazil's vast offshore oil supply. He claimed the reserves were in 6 feet of water and that he'd eclipse the personal fortune of Bill Gates. Sounds like it didn't work out.

• He claimed the reserves were in 6 feet of water and that he'd eclipse the personal fortune of Bill Gates. Sounds like it didn't work out.

If you search publications you will find that he became bankrupt :-)

• Question to all Elon Musk and similar popculture/science/innovation/entrepreneur cult of personality worshipers...

• Should all internal combustion vehicles change to battery power?
    • Where will the raw materials for those batteries come from?
    • What's the difference between geopolitics revolving around fossil fuels or minerals for batteries?
    • What will be the compensation for people in Africa that will see their land plowed and pillaged for battery minerals?
    • Where should all faulty/old vehicle batteries be disposed?
    • Will vehicle batteries be designed for longevity...or will they be a regular planned obsolescence product that forces consumers to keep buying in order to keep driving?

I'm sure Elon Musk has all of these question answered in yet another awe inspiring Ted Talk.

• I read this as "Brazil: Sometimes it stinks" now that the pre-Olympics report came out on the quality of their water supply and its high level of poop.

• That applies to all countries where the water supply is not run by the community under high quality standards, delivering drinkable tap water. Elsewhere they are selling you expensive water safe for human consumption in bottles that litter the land and the sea.

This applies to quite a few countries where Olympic games were held in recent years…

@Riker: Thanks for asking some intelligent questions!

• Where should all faulty/old vehicle batteries be disposed?

Wall-E

• Brazil’s July unemployment rate hit at 7.5%, 2.6 basis points higher than a year ago and 0.5 points higher than consensus. In seasonally adjusted terms, the unemployment rate jumped to 7.2%, from 6.5% in the previous month, the largest monthly increase in Brazilian employment data ever recorded by the Labor Ministry.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2015/08/20/brazils-unemployment-rate-worse-than-expected/

• Jobs

olympus10.jpg
    752 x 362 - 46K
  • Devices which reach unparalleled efficiency or even harness the zero point energy field were created decades ago. We could have all the energy we could ever need and more with no environmental impact if our wonderful government agencies would stop harassing and killing the inventors and stop confiscating the devices. Some sad stories out there.

• Devices which reach unparalleled efficiency or even harness the zero point energy field were created decades ago. We could have all the energy we could ever need and more with no environmental impact if our wonderful government agencies would stop harassing and killing the inventors and stop confiscating the devices. Some sad stories out there.

You mean perpetum mobile? :-) As statement sounds very strange.

• Steady improvements:

IP contracted by a much larger than expected -1.5% mom sa (-8.9% yoy) in July (vs. the -0.1% mom sa market consensus). Furthermore, the June print was revised down to -0.9% mom sa from the original -0.3% mom sa. During the last nine months industrial production declined at an average monthly rate of -0.9% mom sa. Of the 24 main industrial segments, 14 recorded a contraction of output in July.

IP declined 8.9% yoy in July, with the largest decline recorded in capital goods -27.8%. Overall, IP declined 6.6% yoy during January-July 2015.

IP has now contracted for eight consecutive quarters and is likely to decline again during 3Q2015.

In July, IP was 14.1% below the peak level registered in June 2013 and was at the same level as March-April 2006

• Our crisis here is more political than economic. The right wing parties are pressuring the lefities, using their mistakes against themselves, but sacrificing the people for their own interest.

• Our crisis here is more political than economic. The right wing parties are pressuring the lefities, using their mistakes against themselves, but sacrificing the people for their own interest.

I can assure you that it has no relation to politics (despite all media and elites wanting to present it such for busy people).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Well, unless you have an undercover agent in Brazil, I can´t be so sure ;o)