Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @kingkorg, did you think about denoising? That guy's pants have the characteristic problem I had with some of my T7 footage. A little denoising is a mandatory step on a lot of T7 work I think.

• I don't get it, embed code from Vimeo doesn't work. I can't get preview window.

• Panasonic GH2 Moon T7 Hack Takumar 55mm 1.8 Lumix 14mm 2.5 Yashinon DS Yashica 55mm 1.4 Pixco focal reducer

Masino - Ti Možeš from Matija Tatomirovic on Vimeo.

• The problem with @Driftwood's patches is that they're so good, one stops taking photos :P
    More from planet Nebula T8... it seems I can't manage to leave

MY HEART IS WITH ALL HIMALAYAN PEOPLE
    my hands gettin' dirty =)

Direct download link for x264 HQ copy (86MB)  

This is absolutely OT but if not here I don't know where else shall I share my excitement;
    two days ago I found buried under a town of books 3 copies (photocopies - producer's work copy) of original scripts with hand annotations and all by Orson Welles (The Dreamers), Greenaway and Fellini (La Vocce dela Luna)

Now, on toppic, I filmed them with hacked GH2 =)
    Proof

• The snake ate my leg, I couldn't skate, just derivate for christ's sake where is Mr. Driftcake??!!!
    One more nail on the coffin and a piece of content for the republic of china's army to torture semi-innocent souls. BTW in the remotely plausible case anyone interested on watching a decent H264 copy (207MB) it will be available for 1 week here =)

grab from today's batch also... ahh the irony nurturing from the irony itself!!!

... and Vitaliy; do not worry snake is poison-less :P image

...to all the good people, developing, testing, annoying, requesting, digesting, coffee drinking, complaining, sharing, understating, overestimating, underwhelmed, overpowered, scuba diving etc. etc. thank you

• The issue in this case is that Mb is a valid abbreviation for megabit, which is how video is measured. But the card speed is measured in megabyte, requiring a capital B in the abbreviation.

So I guess my point is that written messages are much easier understood when the proper conventions are ALWAYS followed - capitals, spelling, grammar, etc. Texting, chatting, posting on the Internet are NOT exceptions to the rules of writing we all had to follow when writing those class essays.

• Well I probably shouldn't have refered to the write speed as 95 meters per second either. Hexagonal I hope you understood the message I was trying to convey

• That's 30 MB/s. MegaBYTE, not Megabit. BIG difference.

Capitals matter on this one.

• U3 just means 30mb/s min transfer rate. U1 means 10mb/s transfer rate. I have been using 128gb 95m/s U3 cards without issue on firmwares that require the 64gb 95m/s cards. The main thing is UHS-1 not UHS-2 or UHS-3, as these have an extra row of contacts on the card to allow faster transfer rates and isn't supported by the gh2. I beleive the 128gb cards weren't for sale back when most of these firmwares were written. Currently the SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC U3 Memory Card (Class 10) that I have been using is on sale at b&h for $99. Good bargain in my opinion.

• Hi everyone,

I am getting new 64GB 95mb/s Extreme Pro cards and noticed that now they sell the U3 and U1 versions. Is there any difference between these for Moon T7 on GH2? As in, can the GH2 write well on the newer U3? or does it have to be exclusively U1 type?

Cheers,

• Some Drewnet t9 nature shots from the other day. Shot between 5-8pm very cloudy completely diffused light 24p ISO 160, 320, and 640 shutter 50 and 25 Used an angenieux lens with doubler and a B4 mount

• Whoops, I put this in the wrong Driftwood thread! Moving it to the correct Moon T8 one. . . Vitaliy, please delete this post if you like, I don't see an option to completely delete it.

• @maxr, Excellent tests man. I have to try this HQ3GOP patch. Can you tell me about this "hybridizing" process for PC? Thanks

• Impressive again: never considered the gh2 a low light ninja so far :-) I'm looking forward to "hybridizing" my videos.

• @rikyxxx something I forget to write down is that I'll always prefer a well exposed high ISO shot than a lower ISO underexposed one; mainly cause within the combination above (which is not by any means the holly grail) it is easier to get rid of most obnoxious noise and secondly cause grades better -) As one cannot change ISO while videoing as in GH3/GH4, sometimes one has to make compromises {monkey swearing eternal love to a tree}. In silly example below I didn't want to blow the flame's brightest part. In second dawn shot, I also used Karl's script, for which I had to upscale to UHD with lanczos and then downscale again (all within hybrid); the file was a joy to grade, I went bonkers with 12 nodes to try and break it up I but the guy was a stubborn good shit happy horny motherfucka crazy donkey :P

Already downloaded towi's HQ3GOP patch, I'll try as soon as the devil leaves my house (epic long battle) and of course let you know, thanks so much for the finger... ejem pointing direction =)

• +1 for HQ3GOP It's the only patch I was completely happy with until I upgraded to a GH4.

• Thanks a lot Maxr for the time spent writing such a complete and helpful reply. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, for me, I'm stuck with OsX 10.8 but I'll get into Hybrid as soon as I upgrade to OsX 10.9 or 10.10.

In the meantime let me tell you about a patch you might want to try: it's @towi 's HQ3GOP => http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/7703/hq3gop-3gop-setting-optimized-for-pal-users/p1 (be sure to download version 12 on page 2)

It's a sort of Spizz but better (IMHO). It looks stable even with sandisk 30mbs cards. Bye :-)

• @rikyxxx If you want to cut to the gorgonzola jump to =2

My videoing is more often than not in conditions of poor lighting, so I'm interested in tools and workflows that allow me to navigate through that context. Despite I have shot in the past with hacked GH2s I am kind of a newbie to the patch process =)

I took 4 of Driftwood's patches from this thread (Moon T8, Spizz T7, ClassiX and Nebula T8) and shot a still scene with stable light through 720p, HBR and 24H under different ISOs; I also shot Apefo's The End NR4 for comparison. More than achieving an (always subjective) grand opinion, I was honestly more interested in taking notes and studying how each patch rendered the underexposed BG. It's like watching ants, fascinating!!! How did the noise displayed in matters of size, texture, pattern, "rhythm"? Also how much well-lit and under-lit details area would the noise affect and how? Of course I also checked the FG elements to see the rendition of details and how their noise behaved when well exposed. Colour and colour noise spill too. This "study" is still ongoing {picture chimp with a leave of grass trying to get as many termites as possible}. I won't paste here my embarrassing early notes, but it's interesting that a patch that I would found to be the best at ISO 200 for 24H, would behave (also rate) differently at higher ISOs... WB and profile are part of the equation. At the moment I'm playing with Nebula T8 as it seems to me as very good all around patch (at ISO 1600 I don't even feel the need for denoising), HBR and 24H... 720p cannot really say yet, but also looking very very good

=2
    By simple I mean automated (batchable) and free. I don't know the trickery revision put inside of 5DtoRGB bu the results speak for themselves. If one is not going to grade I guess that Hybrid alone would do the trick, but I find that a first wash in 5DtoRGB machine followed by a manicure with Hybrid's inbuilt great dither and NR would leave me a good clay to play with. Inside of Hybrid there is also the possibility of using other TNR and Avisynth tools, pic belowimage
      ... but as I said I'm trying to keep it as "easy", fast and free as I can. I also compared results with 2 other possible workflows; a crazy one where I exported footage as image sequence and created a "fix-it" action inside PS, this one yielded the best results but is very time consuming, so not really worth it. And a second one where I compared 5DtoRGB+Hybrid output to both neatvideo (still the king :) and much improoved RG denoise II. Again, this one is also good (specially 'cause you just denoise your timeline... and yet the are several ways to also achieve this with 5DtoRGB+Hybrid workflow) but it is not free and one would still have to dither somehow.

Sorry for long post, wish there was just a simple answer :P

BTW I feel but overwhelmed by all the work @driftwood and all the guys developing and improving the patches have done; to them, a BIG THANK YOU. Also to uncle Vania... ejem I mean @Vitaliy cheers

• @maxr

Impressive examples! Just a question: what do you mean by "simple denoise"?

•  

ProRES file

So much to test still, late to all parties... but overall Nebula T8 seems a heck of a hack Mr. Burns!!!
    Thank you @driftwood =)

• @donniewagner nice work on that piece. Can't believe it's all natural lighting. Incredible job.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters