Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X Series 4:│Moon T8│Spizz T7
  • 691 Replies sorted by
  • @callan I understand, this cleared things a lot up. Yes, I found out that moon t8 on h24 pushed the camera very hard ehe...

If the playback lags very mutch and reatch a point where it is unplayable is it the card that is the bottleneck and not the camera? I have only a 16gb 45mb/s sandisk card so would the recommended 64gb 95mb/s sandisk card solve these issues? Anyways it is pretty insane video quality when it all is working well, and it would been totally awesome to get it working most of the time, not the other way..

• @ Norux First of all welcome. The file system on the SD card is limited to maximum file size of around 4GB. The actual file size is dictated by your clip length (recording time). A long clip might be say 14GB. As the file is written to the card it is broken up into 3 x 4GB files plus a 2 GB file. Your NLE software should join these 4 files to reconstruct the original 14GB file you intended to record.

Spanning is the point in time when a 4GB limit is reached and the next part of the file is created. ie the split point. Some users are experiencing a break/stoppage in recording at the split points.

Please note that all GH2 cameras and SD card combinations are not equal. The newer patches push the camera pretty hard.

• This is the last work my team did in MOon T7. i am happy with all the moon patches 5, 7, and 8. the only problem i faced was long duration recording and in camera playback with longer clips.

• @Shaveblog u r suggesting me to buy a new camera.. thats great.. thank you! i agree with u @JIM_Simon with 95mb/s card it spans. i checked it today. but still it wont playback in camera if its over 2.4 minutes. thats what i faced. a weird issue is when we record over 4 minutes the recording stops. what so ever i am gonna check out more patches which suits my needs. @driftwood sir if you could release a patch with all intra frames with maximum quality possible within 100mbps thats gonna really rock the floor of most bloggers, indie and doc shooters.please consider to release a fine tuned MOON T9 with lower bit rate around 100 or 110mbps, and please do improve the quality to the max.. thank you!

• Noob question from an non englishman, what is spanning? I google searched it but I couldn't find anything and it stands everywhere on this site. Thanks!

• @Maya I don't get in-camera playback with any clips simply because I up the audio bitrate from the default 192 to 384. Changing the audio bitrate prevents in-camera playback, no matter what the video bitrate is, so I can't test that for you. But I don't really need in-camera playback, so this is not an issue for me.

My claim was simply that I can RECORD clips longer than 2 minutes with T8, something you claimed you couldn't do. Spanning for me has worked just fine with T8 (using a proper card).

• I have a serious question, guys: at what point do you stop responding to someone who fights your every attempt to help him?

Maya, I'm officially done. You're on your own. You will never get T8 to work right with your camera and it's entirely your own fault -you argue with people trying to help you, and frankly you come off as someone who's in way over his head.

I recommend you give up on the whole hacked GH2 high bitrate patch trip, and find a camera more suited to your ability and use case.

• @kkor I've not changed Nick's bitrate settings for either 24H or 24L. I've not tested 24L for T8, but had no trouble with 24H spanning using either the standardly recommended SanDisk 64 GB card, or it's 'bigger brother' the 128 GB card.

• @Jim_Simon Have you set the low value in 24p format (aka 24L) when you used Moon T8? I have split files only when it is 24L and It has never spanned in 24H mode.

• @maya I tested 24h yesterday and I had no problems filming over 4 mins long clips with a sandisk 45mb/s 16gb card. This was with moon t8, and everything played back well in camera

• @Maya I would suggest testing the different settings yourself before calling someone "bullshit". I have used the Intravenous v2 setting a lot and have recorded many clips 4-8 minutes in length, and they all played back in camera. I also had a few I did for ~20 minutes that also worked fine with in camera playback. (I always used Sandisk 64GB 95Mbps card)

• @shaveblog i know how to reduce the bitrate but that wont help. see in 130mbps with maximum output. @Jim_Simon please upload a single clip longer than 2 minutes from moon T8. u have a longer one 30 min great if u could dropbox it please do. i want proof. your words sounds so fake. see moon T8 is a very complex patch most of them didnt even get a in cam playback for clips over 2 min. u did 30 min cc rec. thats a bull shit man.

• I might be blind, but where can I download T8 Moon? I only find the "Driftwood Moon T8 INTRA.zip" right under the first post and when I extract that I only get a "install notes for beginners" and some changelog stuff and I am almost tearing off my hair in frustration of not finding the "real" hack patch zip to download...anyone who wants to help me to say where to download it?

Edit: My fault, understood what to do!

• If I'm not mistaken, Cake has it's own thread. But I don't care for cake. I prefer shooting for the Moon!

• I just baked my first cake. It doesn't look so hot and it tastes, well, like someone's first try at baking a cake. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just is what it is. A not very successful first stab at doing something. We all have to start somewhere, right? Everyone sucks the first time doing something, right? No shame in that.

But fuggit, I'm going to make a tutorial anyway.

• can u record 2 min continues video file in MOON T8?

I didn't have any problems with it. Shot a whole wedding on T8, with a couple clips longer than 30 minutes, and several dozen clips longer than 2 minutes.

• @maya Your post is nonsensical but let me ask you something - if you really think simply lowering peak bitrate to 130 will solve all your problems, why are you wasting everyone's time complaining about it when you can easily do it yourself?

Kind of feel like I'm handing a toddler a power drill but if you look at the changes in Ptool after loading the T8 patch, you can see where Nick has designated T8's peak bitrate for 24H:

See that big number, the one with 150 and then six more zeros? Since you're so fixated on 130, go ahead and change 150000000 to 130000000. Then save your customized firmware (e.g. T8.1 "Culo"), install it on your GH2, and see what happens. Maybe it fixes all your problems and you can be the next Apefos. Maybe it bricks your camera. Either way, everybody wins.

Or you could just take the advice that's been echoed here by others and shoot T8 at 24L instead, which would give you the same IQ with double the recording time per card. But why be so reasonable? Better to wade into waters you haven't a clue about and bang stuff with a hammer. Good luck bro.

culo.jpg
    587 x 641 - 334K
  • @shaveblog actually lowering the bitrate helps. see bitrate is everything here. what will happen if 146 mbps average bitrate setting is lowered and optimized for 130mbps. actually the quality will be the same. but, it will sure help in most case. can u record 2 min continues video file in MOON T8?? try that first. dont give comments before you actually try something. in cam playback won't work for files above 1.5 minute. try all of em. see bro nothing is personal here. its all about what we reap out of GH2 which should always be good for most users.

• Can anyone explain the dependency between 24p, 30p and 720p60, when creating a hack?

I think both Moon T7 and T8 looks awesome on 24p but I changed back to T7 because I like to use 30p for some semi-slowdown in a tight spot, when hand held, and the bitrate on T8 is much lower than on T7 on 30p.

This is purely out of academic interest as I sold my GH2 and got a GH4 ( because it is way more filmic ;-) ). I am however very thankful for the work with hacks as it made my mediocre home videos look a little less mediocre :-)

• @producer, I hear you, but how much more could really be gained? Pixel peeping the footage from Moon T8 against my GH4 footage, I'm not even sure which one is really better... There is so much subjectivity involved. Maybe the short, one-way road really did lead/is leading to the ultimate destination that the GH2 sensor and hardware could really support? It's not high end hardware, and it is OLD in terms of imaging technology.

I do THINK I prefer Moon T8 over T7, so maybe I don't really think the final destination has quite been reached yet, but it's so hard to tell the difference -- In Driftwood I trust! :)

• @Tjabo: You're right, but everyone has his own opinion, what to do.

And I also think that this forum (not only this thread!) becomes more and more everything but GH-series forum. Just look at the topics - almost nothing about Panasonic cameras at all since long time ago. The reason is the lack of new patches and, of course, this moment should've come sooner or later since all the patches concern only the bitrate at all, nothing else. Ok, go to the future, get a 1024Mpbs memory card, then test Moon T20 with up to 800Mbps bitrate, then what: the noise is still here (no matter what's said), the profile parameter are still the same, etc. And that's why all we was waiting for Moon T8 three months since Driftwood announced it. Now is exactly the same - another 3 months since T9 was mentioned for first time before the New year. Not criticizing Driftwood about that, I doubt he spends all his time for GH2 patches, but I still stand on my words written 2 years ago here that the direction of GH2 modifying was wrong or at least was a short one way road with no way out. So here it is... Meanwhile, where can a detailed tutorial or instructions be found about hacking and modifying GH2 firmware?

• Wow, I enjoyed shaveblog's first rant since it contained a lot of useful information mixed in among the hateful ire, but it seems that this thread has turned into a bitter jam pile.... What happened here? Too many frustrated "professionals" on this forum?

Lighten up guys, nobody says you have to spend your time looking at the stuff we amateurs post if it's just too irritating to you.

As for the people with the boldness/nerve to make specific demands of Driftwood for his next versions of his masterpiece, I really don't understand that at all. If you know so much about what is needed, why aren't you making your own? Maybe we should all just be more appreciative and less demanding... I'm kind of surprised that he continues to work on this project at all with the distasteful tone of much of the discussion here.

• @doodsaq With reference to the context of your comments; try asking producer about his "Filmvision Pro v8.1" grading plugin. I won't give you a spoiler!

• doodsaq: I couldn`t agree more with you! Well said!