Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • @geoffcbassett Thanks for you calification over my interest in the sharpness factor, but, there is something to fix. There is no reason why one mode is sharp than another, but more: its something like a mini blur or bilinear scale. Considering the incredible job in the downsampling from the entire sensor to 4K, with serious algorithm that demostrates the limits of detail, something is wrong in the 4K DCI mode.

• The thought occurred to me, that if only Samsung added a second card slot to the NX1 it would be much better suited for semi pros as an alternative to cameras such as a D7100. As having a back up card, even if it is just JPEG or 720p is very very handy in a worst case disaster scenario. It doesn't even have to be SD, could just be micro SD. As micro SD wouldn't take up much extra space in the small body (and they've already used micro SD beforehand for their NX300M).

• Sorry for jumping the gun on the noise issue guys, thought it was fixed from a quick and dirty test but that appears to not be the case.

• Samsung did not say that they fixed any sound/noise issues with the 1.22 update.

See http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/EV-NX1ZZZBQBUS (hover the mouse over the blue "?" just above the download button to read the release notes).

I do not see any change in the hissing noise presence from previous firmware version. Samsung, please fix it!

• Yes, I posted just before yours. Thanks.

• Did you download my file? It says everything... The main problem is this filter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_gate

Maybe my NX1 has an hardware issue? can someone else put a short clip with audio online?

edit:

@markr041: I hear this issue in your museum video, too, but it´s not so easy to catch in this case, because the audio level in the museum is very high. You wrote "manual audio mode at setting 7". Has the NX1 a switch between manual and automatic audio mode? If so, I can´t find him.

• Could someone be polite and describe exactly what the audio problem is?

Thanks.

• Here´s a clip I recorded from a TV with low audio level. The NX1 audiosetting was level 4. You can hear the bad noise depending from the audio-input. It´s really unusable.

http://www.levin08.de/bilder/NX1-Audio_Issue_Audio-level-4.mp4

• @heradicattor There is nothing to "fix", it's sharper than a GH4. As for theater projection, it's plenty sharp.

I would know because I WORK at a movie theater and have tested the camera on the screen. I'm the one who runs the projectors, and in the two years that I have worked here I've gotten only 6 films in 4K. Everything, absolutely everything else is 2K.

You and all the other gear heads need to realize that all you need for theater projection is sharp 2K, 4K is still mainly useful as a capture format, not a distribution method for short/feature films.

If you want your "sharp" 4K buy a RED and shoot in RAW 6K and downsample it. Otherwise get over your resolution obsession.

• Can also confirm that the audio in 1.22 is NOT fixed.

• @Angry_C

You say the audio is not fixed. Could you please post a clip that demonstrates the problem, so others can judge for themselves. Thanks.

• @geoffcbassett Thanks... so not fixed. In cimema projection that differente is noticeable :(

• Tested 1.22 out:

Audio issue isn´t fixed. The same noisegate+autogain-shit like before:-(

• @Heradicattor

UHD is very slightly sharper, but unless your are shooting landscapes and zooming in to 100+ percent you won't tell the difference. Go to 3:44 in this video and you'll see it:

• So it is either fixed, or vastly improved.

• I detect none of the hiss that plagued the previous recordings I have made with the camera and seems like the auto gain is gone. Don't have the equipment to do a scientific test, but it is without a doubt much better than it was previously. Set it to minimum and it's very hard for me to get it to peak, and max very easy, so if it is compensating I can't detect it.

• Anyone confirm the difference in sharpness between 4K DCI and QHD modes?

• @geoffcbassett

Could you please elaborate on the audio gain issue. Does the new firmware totally eliminate any auto gain? Can you detect the prescence of a limiter at work?

• @geoffcbassett I think we are just so used to poor hardware support in the past. This is how it should be done by everyone!

• I have to say again how amazing it is that Samsung is updating the camera this quickly.

• I can confirm it fixes the audio gain issue!

• FIRMWARE UPDATE: 1.22 Downloading to camera now

Link: http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=UNI_UK&CttFileID=5889101&CDCttType=FM&ModelType=N&ModelName=NX1&VPath=FM/201503/20150302181001633/NX1_FW_v1.22_SEC.zip

Seems to supposedly increase low light performance in video. HOPEFULLY it fixes the Audio gain issue.

• This is a 4K video comparison of the Samsung NX1 and the Panasonic LX100.

The science: The advantages of the Samsung NX1 over the Panasonic LX100 (and GH4) are:

1. The NX1 sensor is larger: APS-C versus m43. More light (and shallower DOF, but that is a taste issue).

2. The NX1 sensor is back-side illuminated: More light.

3. The NX1 samples from the large sensor to get 4K. The LX100 (and GH4) crops the sensor - no sampling. Better color?

4. The NX1 uses a more efficient codec, so there is effectively more information per unit of time; ie, effectively less compression artifacts.

But does any of this matter?

I used the 16-50mm S lens on the NX1, which is equivalent to the lens on the LX100. Both are f2.8 at the long end. I shot so that both lenses were at f2.8, and around 65mm-equivalent. There are four clips from each camera, the first at ISO200, the second at ISO320, the third at ISO1600 and the fourth at ISO3200 (LX100) and ISO5000(NX1). The first shot in each same-ISO sequence is from the LX100. The two cameras were mounted side-by-side, which is why the shot angles are slightly different. Shutter-priority mode at 1/60th, Standard Picture Profiles for each.

The 4K clips were edited in PowerDirector 13 Ultra, which accommodates both H265 (NX1) and H264 (LX100) 4K clips natively on the same timeline. No alteration of the original clips was performed. The video was rendered in XAVC S 4K at 100Mbps.

• Nice! What is your setting on nebula 4000? Is it on CAF on just manual focus?