Personal View site logo
Fotga makes serious progress with their FF
  • 94 Replies sorted by
  • Vitaliy - or anybody who has the experience with Fotga DP500 ii FF: My Fotga DP500 II S is very new to me, so far testing with different lenses. Unfortunately some lenses are stiff to focus, which causes the FF not to be able to turn the focus. I have e.g a Sigma 10-20mm f/3,5 that I otherwise so much like to work with - but not possible with the Fotga DD500 II. And some others, too. In these cases, while I am turning the wheel on the FF, it sort of turns internally without being able to transmit the movement to the lens' focus wheel. Is this "normal" for the FF-mechanism? Meaning that I just need to be sure that the lens is suitable for a FF? I have e.g a Sigma 10-20mm f/3,5 that I otherwise so much like to work with - but not possible with the Fotga DD500 II. Thanks, Gert

• And some others, too. In these cases, while I am turning the wheel on the FF, it sort of turns internally without being able to transmit the movement to the lens' focus wheel.

Something tells me that it is badly fixed FF knob.

• Just received a Fotga DP500II from eBay and immediately noticed that the resistance is not consistent throughout the 360' rotation. It would be smooth thru about 70% of a full circle and much tougher in other 30%, which is a big issue for an FF. Has anyone had such an experience? Shall I request a replacement, or will it resolve itself after a bit of use?

Thanks in advance!

• Got my dp3000 follow focus today. What an upgrade to my old DFocus v3, which was more than twice as expensive!

• I got my Fotga DP500S2 in the mail today from Vitaliy's great catchit sale a week or so ago. It seems exceptionally well made for this price range, and my only complaint would be that it doesn't have the quick-attach rail mount shown in the picture but rather a standard slip-on-the-front rail mount, so it's a little less handy than I expected for just tossing on the rig as needed - you'll have to remove the mattebox to put it on. But otherwise, it's got all the features you'd expect: excellent feel with negligible backlash (not "none", but you'll have to spend over a grand to get "none"), gear that can go on either side of the drive box (not reversible, but side-swappable), and solid aluminium construction. I'm very happy with the purchase.

• I love mine, but the one thing I wish I can do is get a 2nd screw knob and attach another gear on the other side of the gear box, but I can only find some long screw that's for another version of the Fotga FF.

• I should amend my previous comment: Fotga sent me the quick-attach rail mount in the mail afterwards. Thanks Fotga!

Response like this is valuable to me, and I thought I'd share it with the rest of you.

• I need some advice on a Fotga repair question. I have the older follow-focus rig, the one with only one marker point. It works fine, but there's a bit of play, or looseness, between the turning knob and the gear. I have to twist the gear a bit before the lens gear engages.

If there a way I can tighten this to reduce this play? Or is it worth buying the newer Fotga unit (or a different unit)?

• Try to carefully disassembly everything you can (filming process :-) ). It can be either loose screw that fixes knob to shaft. Or it can be gears.

• Hi all. What's the main difference between the DP500II series and the DP3000 M series? Looking for a follow focus for a single shooter mainly. So trying to keep the rig as compact/light as possible. Will be using with photo zooms mostly so the focus throws are usually short. TIA

• What's the main difference between the DP500II series and the DP3000 M series? Looking for a follow focus for a single shooter mainly.

DP3000 has some plastic parts.

Also gears and play is much better in DP500. And get as set of different gears.

• Thanks Vitaliy. Now to figure out the best way of getting this to India

• Now to figure out the best way of getting this to India

You can just wait weekend, I'll try to add most of DP500 stuff to deals, I think we could organize shipping to India.

• Tried latest DP500. Really good and very affordable thing.

• Looks like the Fotga DPIII is out. FYI, these things are 10% off on AliExpress for another 2 hours for their 11.11 sale:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FOTGA-DP500-MARK-III-Dampen-A-B-Hard-Stop-Follow-Focus-for-A7-A7II-BMCC-F55/32596479121.html

There is also an adjustable arm now available, the teeth pattern makes me think it's only for the DPIII it won't work on my DPII.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FOTGA-Rocker-Arm-Extension-for-DP500III-Follow-Focus-Rig-5D3-A7-A7IIS-A7R-A7RS-GH4-C300/32624881118.html

They seem to also be available on Ebay and Amazon without an 11.11 discount.

• @CFreak

Most of this 11.11 discounts are fake on Aliexpress.

• I placed an order for something on 11.11 on Aliexpress and it hasn't shipped yet. If it doesn't ship by end of day Thursday the 17th, they will automatically refund my money. I wonder if they ever had any intention of shipping it in the first place, for the amount I paid.

• So far 3 of 4 items I ordered on 11.11 have shipped. The unshipped items have 1 day left to ship. Not sure if there's anything strange about that, I think they had a lot of orders. However, I am still waiting on something I ordered on Oct. 1st, that shows it shipped and left China, just hasn't arrived in the USA yet…, the seller said to wait another 2 weeks. It's a really slow way to buy stuff, but, if the price is right, people will do it.

I bought an MP3 attachment for my car stereo last year, the item was crap (worked, but, not well) , so I exchanged it for an older one which works great. It's a PITA to return things to China bought on Aliexpress (at least that's what I am thinking today) but in that case something I couldn't have gotten in the USA at all.

• Does anyone know where I might find a replacement gear for a dp500ii (Not S)? There are tons on ebay that claim to come with the adapter for DP500ii since they sell the updated DP500iiS gears (different teeth inside gear).

I've purchased 4 times and it never comes with the adapter. Every description and photo on ebay clearly shows the adapter and lists it as both needed and included for DP500ii. They seem to all be wrong and no longer included.

Has anyone bought one that did come with the adapter? Anyone have one to sell? My gear teeth have worn and no longer works.

Thanks

Sorry for digging up an old thread. Seems the best place to find one for this old model.