Personal View site logo
Panasonic 4K 2015 camcorders - HC-WX970 and HC-VX870
  • Panasonic HC-WX970

Panasonic HC-VX870

• Upgrade to last year V770
    • 4k 30fps
    • 1080p120 (p240 via frame interpolation)
    • Same 4 drive AF lens
    • 5 axis optical stab
    • HDR mode (can have issues with motion and do not work in 4K)
    • Remote Shooting / Remote View
    • Real-Time Broadcasting
    • $900 price

More coming

• 33 Replies sorted by
  • PR

LAS VEGAS, NV (January 5, 2015) - Panasonic has today enhanced its range of high-end consumer camcorders with three new models – the HC-WX970, HC-VX870, and HC-V770, the world’s first Full HD consumer camcorders to include High Dynamic Range (HDR) Movie function. The new line-up offers magnificent video recording capabilities, advanced shooting features and functionalities, and smart connected technology to give the amateur videographer all the tools they need to realize their own creative visions.

Professional results, high-class clarity - wherever you are

The HC-WX970 and HC-VX870 models are both equipped with 4K Video Recording and 4K Photo mode which delivers four times the resolution of Full HD, contained within a beautifully designed and compact body. Combining the premium Leica Dicomar Lens, an 8.29M back-illuminated sensor (BSI), and a Crystal Engine 4K processor, you are now able to capture your world with stunning cinematic image quality.

Panasonic’s HC-WX970, HC-VX870 and HC-V770 models include High Dynamic Range (HDR) Movie functionality which is a world’s first for Full HD consumer camcorders. HDR recording combines the best elements of two images taken with different exposures to create crisper, clearer videos. The result is a reduction in overexposure and underexposure enabling you to record beautiful videos with a more dynamic range of contrast between dark and light areas when played back.

Featuring a 4-Drive Lens System, the HC-WX970 and HC-VX870 models enable 20x optical zoom in 4K resolution; while the models’ high-speed, high precision Auto Focus (AF) technology means you can capture the action perfectly, even when a scene suddenly changes.

One movie, two perspectives

With a new Advanced Twin Camera function, the HC-WX970 allows you to shoot in different angles at the same time – meaning you could also film your own reaction to your momentous occasions as you film them. A sub camera placed on the edge of the LCD monitor captures the second feed in a picture-in-picture format, while also featuring ±20° tilt function and a 2x zoom.

To further boost the Advanced Twin Camera functionality, the HC-WX970 includes Narration Mode and a backup function. The Narration Mode emphasises the camera user’s voice so that a commentary can be added to the movie. The backup function enables the main camera image and the picture-in-picture video to be recorded as separate scenes so that each can be played back on their own, if required.

All models also feature the Wireless Twin Camera function, allowing you to use a Wi-Fi connected smartphone or tablet as a sub camera. This gives you the ability to remotely record from two angles at exactly the same time, providing a wide variety of ‘Picture-in-Picture’ videos.

Perfectly balanced, all the time

Panasonic’s original Level Shot function, which automatically detects tilting and levels the image, is available in all these models. The setting can be adjusted to one of three levels (OFF, Normal, Strong) depending on the shooting conditions. The HYBRID O.I.S.+ (Optical Image Stabilizer) uses five-axis correction to thoroughly suppress blurring, whether you’re shooting wide-angle or powerful zoom shots, making it possible to capture crisp, clear images in almost every shooting situation.

The widest connectivity options

The HC-WX970, HC-VX870 and HC-V770 camcorders also include a Baby Monitor feature, which enables you to check on a sleeping baby in another room with the camcorder connected to your home network with a smartphone. You can speak to the baby using your smartphone, or have notifications sent to your device when your baby's crying voice, or other sound, is detected. You can also provide live streaming of video over the internet using USTREAM.

var12.jpg
    529 x 407 - 51K
  • Interesting upgrades: HDR-video option at 1080p, Twin Camera function... I'm wondering, would the Wireless Twin Camera function work with 2nd WiFi-interconnected Panasonic camcorder/camera?

• Incredible the HRD mode, we need that in the M4/3 cameras.

• Incredible the HRD mode, we need that in the M4/3 cameras.

Something tells me that we'll get one quite soon.

• The floodgates open!

• Suspense...

GH3/4 hack almost ready, maybe?

:-)

• I wonder what the HDR mode is actually doing? Whether its like 'iDynamic' in that its 'smartly' raising or lowering ISO, or whether it is in some way actually taking different images simultaneously at different exposures and merging them. Interesting...

• or whether it is in some way actually taking different images simultaneously at different exposures and merging them. Interesting...

Later thing. Actually it seems that it dedicates 1/2 sensor pixels to use another exposure (this is why it does not work at 4K). Works ala RED approach or similar to ML Canon hacks (but it was worse due to implementation).

• Hmm. I'm not really impressed with that HDR mode. Especially given this camera is more expensive than the LX100. I've taken 4k video shots with the LX100 under more extreme lighting conditions (dark indoor corner + directly sunlit area - but the sunlight being full mid day tropical sun, not some northern overcast sky) - and I liked the results better than what's shown in the sample video above. (Screenshot below downscaled from 4k to better fit attachment size limit.)

shot0001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • @karl

Well, compare zoom range and sensor size. You can't defy physics.

• No evf ...again ! I was kinda hoping to see this in a fz250 !

• oh yeah, my next camera i was waiting

• No evf ...again ! I was kinda hoping to see this in a fz250 !

EVF cost money. This is business. So, higher prices (yet only firmware and LSI changed) and no EVF.

• So we know that the GH5 will have; at least 120fps in 1080p and some form of HRD, 5-axis ois. Panny I want more lol.

• what I am interested in is stabilization performance in 4K, HC-x1000 stabilization in 4K is just like 2axis

• @FeriGGGG- you should look at the ax33 !

• ...just noticed at 2 sites at least, nofilmschool and cinema5d, that they're announcing the new panys with 240 fps mode as something new !

I guess they missed last years announcement !

• It doesn't make me confident that the video showing how great 4K is, is in 1080p. Hey, Panasonic, send me a camera and I will make you a video! Seriously!!! 4K! The real deal!!!

• stuff this into a fz200 body

• Hey fellas - I have the Panasonic HC-VX870 on order and will be using it with iMovie on a MacBook. Will I have any issues? From what I understand, the latest iMovie will import the 4K MP4 files without needing to transcode. Will it automatically downscaling to 1080P, like Adobe Premiere can do?

• In stock at BHPhoto. Hmm should I buy one? Will I hate myself?