Personal View site logo
GH4 for theatrical feature films?
  • It looks like the GH4 is a big step forward, but is it ready for theatrical feature films--even low budget, limited releases?

I know it's a big advance on the GH2--which I think is pretty amazing for $600 but which I still wouldn't use on a feature even after Upstream Color. But if it has advanced enough, there's a lot to like about the GH4--low cost for high quality crash cams, low weight for aerials and Movi-type work. 4K, etc.

It you were helming a 500K-1M feature that had a tight BTL production budget but also high expectations in footage quality, would the GH4 be your choice?

• 37 Replies sorted by
  • @DouglasHorn If you're not completely writing off the RED line, then keep in mind that the Dragon has the widest dynamic range of any camera tested so far. Personally, I don't often find the colors of a given camera to be a major issue (exempting some major over-saturation in a handful of super inexpensive ones), but then I make my evaluations after the graders are finished, not off the raw footage (which can vary much more widely). In terms of the post-workflow for RED, I like the compression characteristics of the codec a lot and really the only that's in the same league for me is Cineform RAW (which unfortunately is only used in a handful of cameras). Both of them use so much less space than Cinema DNG but I honestly do not have the experience with ARRIRAW to talk intelligently about it one way or the other.

Anyway, that's enough of my rambling - good luck with the project either way. :)

• @IronFilm It would be very nice if they added 4K internal to that model and even in the current form the A7S would be one of the top choices for me if I had a gear budget lying around. But we shouldn't presume anything. I mean, many of the things that happened with the GH4 were things a lot of us had expected for the GH3 and some of the Sony models really took a long time to get decent video, so you can't really count on anything until it's actually there. But still, it will be nice if they add it.

But honestly, the very thing for all the consumers is for the market to remain highly competitive. We want a fair amount of pressure on the manufacturers to keep making their higher end technology available at lower price points. I mean, look at Sony's last CineAlta camera before the F65 and then the F65 in terms of pricing - that was definitely a reflection of the increased competition. :)

Anyway, getting back to what the OP was saying - the A7S might be nice in terms of dynamic range but it does not have the codec robustness at present of the more expensive options discussed. There's a fairly significant gap between the 12-bit wavelet REDRAW acquisition or some of the other RAW or pseudo RAW formats vs. what even the external recorders can provide if we are talking about especially serious post-work, let alone vs. the 8-bit or 10-bit lossy compression that's often on offer with the DSLRs.

• Perhaps give a second look at the Sony A7s? (remember, you don't have to shoot it in FF mode. You've got the option of APS-C)

Not for its low light ability, but for its combination of dynamic range and low weight. Which I'm getting the impression is two of the most key factors for you.

A few things to keep an eye on in the coming few weeks during the early part of next year:

1) Panasonic bringing out new firmware for the GH4, a log profile is rumoured to be in the works.

2) Sony's frantic pace of new cameras! Seems like every time I blink I then discover they've got a new one in the works. Most recently they released the A7mk2 which has IBIS! The A7S is still the better camera for filming with, but I suppose whenever they get around to a new A7Smk2 (probably only a few seconds away.... :-P ) that will get IBIS too (and internal 4K I'd presume?) which will make it an even more drool-worthy camera! They also have been shipping out their new FS7. And early next year there should be the new pro level A9 (and A7000), but also new camcorders coming too (which could make for a lighter/cheaper option to the FS7): http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-ulterior-confirmations-new-camcorders-at-ces-and-new-cameraslenses-at-cp/ http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-new-sony-camera-to-be-announced-the-first-week-of-january/

3) Nikon D7200 which is coming out, I doubt it will be revolutionary. But who knows! Nikon has lately really been lifting their game when it comes to video in their cameras. (such as with their D800, D5200, D750, etc) http://nikonrumors.com/2014/12/15/nikon-d7200-rumored-specifications.aspx/

4) The Atomos Shogun is now as of today finally shipping: http://www.newsshooter.com/2014/12/17/atomos-shogun-4k-recorder-finally-ships-playback-function-to-be-enabled-later-with-firmware-update/

• @thepalalias - Thanks for putting so much thought into this response. Yes, that's pretty much what I've been thinking as well. I've shot with a number of these cameras. I love pretty much everything about the Alexa system and the C500 I don't really love, but it often turns out to be the right combination of cheap, light, and good for many projects. I'm not going to completely write off the RED--I will probably check out the Epic/Dragon and see if the colors are better or if I can live with them (and the post workflow).

My main point in asking about the GH4 is that it is such an amazing camera system for the cost and weight that I would love to use it if possible. It makes it a lot easier for me to fly them around on copters or gymbal systems with stunts happening at close range. My assessment at the moment is that it's not quite there for me, but I'll reassess when I'm picking camera systems for this project. Hopefully in a few weeks-months. Perhaps something new will be available like the rumored RAW encoding. Or maybe Shogun recorders will have all the kinks worked out by then. I don't think it would be smart for me to be the test case for that with a lot riding on the project.

Thanks again!

• @DouglasHorn That's definitely very helpful in terms of getting a bit more concrete in terms of recommendations. Keep in mind that this is my own perspective as someone that spent a lot of time helping test custom settings in-depth for DSLRs but has only shot a minority of my work on more expensive cinema cameras.

While your points one and two might vary a bit depending on expectations and demands, your third, fourth and fifth criteria really help to zero in a bit.

4) DR - If video dynamic range is a priority, then that greatly narrows the playing field. My first thoughts are Sony's higher end models, the RED range (which doesn't work well for you in terms of colors, so we'll rule that out), the ARRI range, the Canon C500 (less for the dynamic range in general and more for the highlight roll-off, which I listened to graders wax rhapsodic about) and certain members of the Blackmagic range. Depending on how soon you need it, the KineRAW and Panasonic Varicam 35 options might be worth considering - but I'll treat this as an "already in the field" comparison for now.

5) Codec Robustness - Honestly, this is where I would express a strong preference for some flavor of RAW or wavelet raw (like REDRAW or Cineform RAW). I'm not sure if onboard recording is important to you, but I'll mention the models that support this first. Since we've ruled out RED in your case, that leaves some ARRI models with native ARRIRaw support (the ALEXA XT range), most of the Blackmagic products (the BMCC and BMPC4K seeming the most appropriate in your case). Once a recorder gets thrown into the mix, Sony has some powerful RAW options available in their higher-end offerings and while the Canon C500's are less impressive (white-balance is baked in, etc.) I've seen some very good grading done with it.

Since you said neither 4K nor lowlight performance was much of a concern, we can't rule out much based on that. But so far we've been able to rule out the DSLRs and most of the least expensive cinema cameras (exempting the Blackmagic range). This brings us to point number three.

3) Operational - I'm not sure what your ACs have been accustomed to in the past, but if it was a cinema camera wasn't a Blackmagic camera, then they might be happier with one of the non-Blackmagic offerings (more familiar workflow, etc.) if the difference in price wasn't an issue for you. If you can kit the it out a bit (external screen, etc.) it might help smooth the transition a bit but it's worth keeping mind. If your crew is used to working with something other than DSLRs, then 3 might be as much a reason to avoid them as 4 and 5.

So far that leaves the ARRI ALEXA XT range (if you don't want an external recorder) and the Sony high-end range (if an external recorder isn't an issue) as the two most straightforward options in your case if money's not a concern. If money's more of an issue and/or your team is happy working with the Blackmagic range, you could save a lot of money that way and work with lighter cameras. And the C500 is worth a look to see if you like highlight roll-off, etc.

I would say that the ARRI ALEXA XT and Sony high end range offer very clear advantages to the project you specified over the GH4 if neither the larger camera budget nor the larger camera size are an impediment. The same might be true of the other cameras I mentioned if the caveats aren't an issue.

The GH4 is a very powerful camera for the money with a lot of great strengths but they really don't seem to be consistent with the priorities of your project.

I hope that helps at least a little. I make no claims of hand-on expertise with the cameras I'm recommending - this is based on my interpretation of a combination of the readily available specifications and comments passed on to me by my peers. My own needs on a project would be very different and I might very likely choose a different camera, but the ones I suggested seem well-suited to what you specified.

• @thepalalias - Thanks for offering to share your thoughts. Sorry, I don't check in daily these days--I'm really trying to break the forum/social media addiction and get real work done...

So my criteria are both general and specific because there is a specific project that I have in mind but I'm also interested in the general. But for your questions I'll mention my most pressing specific concerns.

1) Overall quality - Will I finish shooting the movie and then turn in a film that will look artifact-heavy or otherwise not ready to hold up on theatrical screens?

2) Post workflow - Will getting an acceptable image take an inordinate amount of work in post?

3) Operational - Will my ACs or camera ops revolt because the camera is a royal pain operationally?

4) DR - If my movie includes many scenes in harsh desert daylight and others in low-light "moonlight" nighttime, am I going to have a hard time with dynamic range?

5) Codex robustness - If I want to do some serious color effects or have a few scenes with major VFX, is the codec up to giving a gradeable VFX-ready image?

I would like to shoot a lot of desert exteriors in natural light if possible on this film. That's a pretty tall order in terms of DR, codec, etc. and of course that's not necessary on every theatrical film. I'm actually a big fan of the light weight and the smaller sensor size is not a problem for me as I personally think Full Frame is often too big and difficult to keep much in focus. I like the GH4's small size as I'd like to use gimbal systems on a lot of the movie. 4K is not a huge plus, but given what I've read here about the slight image improvement, I would probably shoot 4K so I had the luxury of this better footage, repos, and possibly future-proofing my opus by delivering in 4K.

As to my concerns about RED - I've shot on a few models, but not the Dragon yet. I don't really like the color--it just never looks quite right to me. Again, I like a lot about the GH4 and whether or not it's right for theatrical is not the same as whether it's a good camera--or even whether it's right for a feature film that will be TV and VOD only. The theatrical space is its own beast.

Thanks, I look forward to your thoughts.

• @onion @chauncy That was my post from a few months back. Turns out his "review" was nothing less than a total hit piece on the GH4. He showed absolutely no willingness to listen to any of the commenters who disagreed with his opinion in lieu of their own hands-on experience with the camera. His answer was basically "don't believe your lying eyes... I'm more experienced than you... 5DMKII blows this thing away." Basically an insult to anyone with eyes, a brain and nerve enough to question his results.

• @DouglasHorn If you don't mind coming back to the discussion these few days later, I had a few follow-up questions and thoughts - possibly even recommendations. But first, a barrage of questions. :)

You mentioned that noise moire and post-production workflow were question marks for you but you didn't mention anything about the primary demands you foresaw for the feature you were shooting. Anything you can mention about what the image quality and budget priorities are for the shoot would really help to ascertain what camera (or cameras) might be strongest for your needs.

Is 4K a priority? Is dynamic range in situations with adequate light a priority? Is low-light shooting a priority? Is dynamic range a priority? Do you tend to need longer shooting times vs. more flexibility in post afforded by some form of RAW (or RAW-like) codec? Are you looking for a particularly sharp image or is it your intention that the camera provide a somewhat "flattering" take on detail, even with traditionally sharp lenses?

And in terms of logistics, is there a need for the rapid setup time afforded by some smaller setups, or are there other limiting factors that would likely make that of limited value for you?

On a related note, what were your primary qualms about working with RED cameras and which models did you use? My only experience with the RED range was with the RED Scarlet (MX not Dragon) and there were both pros and cons for me relative to working with a GH2, but in terms of image quality the clients were always happier with the Scarlet than the GH2, at least once it was graded to taste.

• I prefer the Sony A7s and the AX100 to the GH4, but there's lots of choices for "cheap high end." They are all way better than what we had a few years ago, and lighting and sets and other production factors are going to weigh more than sensors and lenses. If the Canon MKII was good enough to film House, the A7s is good enough for megahaus.

• It mystifies me how people complain about the GH4's low light. I've shot with the original GH1 in low light situations! You can make it work.

Plus it seems people quickly forget how bad other cameras are at low light, such as the RED One. Or more recently, the BMPC4K.

Sure the GH4 is not the Sony A7s, but that camera is insane, and the GH4 is just fine with its low light capabilities!

• There is, I didn't have time to fix it last night. Will put something new up tonight.

• @discomandavis

It still looks like something is amiss with the compression. Really blocky.

• I mentioned ages ago that I would post some footage for a couple shorts I DPd with the GH4, I haven't gotten permission for the longer one, but the shorter one gave me permission for a couple shots. I have included some of the daytime ext. shots (run and gun, available light).

Also some shots, lit only by campfire, ISO 800. I was surprised by it's low light performance in these shots, if I had taken half a second for a backlight, and to bounce some fill light in, it would be an incredible shot.

All things considered, this would be the camera I would go to if I had up to a $50,000 budget for a indie feature (with a shogun). Anything above that I would opt for a higher end camera. But IMHO to say this camera isn't ready for a feature is an inaccurate statement.

EDIT: Hold the phone, just saw that vimeo really did a number on that compression, uploading in a more favorable codec. Un momento!

• still a contender vs GH4? The SONY FS-100 is now around $2500 new , Used starting around $1400

see Voldemort's Lair for comparison of the FS100 vs Canon C300

GH4 vs BMPCC and FS100 low light test

Rigging Sony's FS100 for an Indie Feature Shoot

.Again, a prime concern is an ease of moving the camera through its various configurations. “[The FS100's] versatility is really remarkable, and that’s one of the things we need on this show,” Talley says. “We’re going to shoot one time in a practical bus bathroom, somewehere between 11mm and 16mm. This camera can go from an Arriflex 535 size down to an [Aaton] A-Minima size in two minutes, and you don’t have to change lenses or change stocks. You’re just ready to go.”

“The footage from the FS100 blows up extremely well,” he says. “That was a huge concern for us, and it passed those tests with flying colors. We tested it against a number of different cameras, bringing in the native AVC HD off the SD cards and blowing it up 1000 percent.

http://www.studiodaily.com/2011/09/rigging-sonys-fs100-for-an-indie-feature-shoot/

FS100 Theatrical Trailer:

• Interesting comments all around. I have shot two shorts on the GH4 now, one around 30 min TRT and one about 10 min TRT. Both look pretty incredible and filmic. I am not saying this in a toot my own horn kind of way, the camera really performs. I will ask the directors if I could submit some samples of the films to demonstrate my point. One is in post and the other is up for festivals.

I am actually incredibly impressed with it's low light capabilities, and all depends on the glass you use. We shot 90% on FD glass with a speedbooster, and that extra stop on the low end is exactly what this camera needs. We shot some footage with lit only by a lighter, or a flashlight with some pretty incredible results.

The biggest weakness during both of these productions was steadicam work, the camera is so damn light that it took forever to get a good balance after switching a lens. This is easily remedied with a good rig to support the camera.

I think once the shogun comes out this will be a feature ready camera, I think the 4:2:2, 10 bit color will bring this camera home for me. Plus with the shogun you get gen-lock timecode which makes this camera a fully featured cinema camera.

Plus the possibility of V-Log. I believe 6 mos from now this camera will be on a whole new level. I wouldn't plan on using it for this feature, but definitely keep investing time in learning the camera, because what is coming for this camera is going to be amazing.

• @endotoxic I think you misunderstood my post. I made NO reference at all to the look. I only referred to ease of operation on a drama shoot. I know how to get a look, I've been doing it for 35 years! Work with the set designers and director, light it properly, use the appropriate camera, lenses, filters etc. and most of all, don't get obsessed with any particular piece of equipment. Use what works for the job at hand.

• @endotoxic - Here's a list of some of my work. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1187456/

It's not the most extensive resume around, but hopefully the fact that I've directed two features in release plus the TV producing and the rest (plus all the corporate and commercial work not on IMDB) explains that I do have some solid technical knowledge here.

I'm really not saying that the GH4 is or isn't a good camera. In fact, I think I was just raving about the GH2 over the 5D. I've used the GH2 on short films and other projects and love a lot about it. I think full frame is overrated. And I've probably said a few times on this forum that the hacked GH2 is a better camera than the Sony CineAlta I used for my first feature film. So, a lot of the assumptions you seem to be making about me must come from somewhere else.

To me, this is a pretty concrete question (although I know it's opened up a bigger question on the topic). But I'm looking at an actual opportunity for making a film. The project will have outsider expectations on it that I would need to address before using a camera system like this.

There are pros and cons to the camera--lightweight, maneuverable, easy to fly on a -copter or gymbal, cheap in case one gets destroyed in a stunt--those are good. Not set up for proper AC-based operation, lower DR and poorer low-light performance, are not good. Noise, moire, post-production workflow -- those were question marks for me but I think I'm getting a better handle on it.

Based on all that, more reading here, and some of the discussions in this forum, I think that the GH4 doesn't really work for theatrical at this time--for me. It's pretty close and a film that wasn't going to have a lot of night shots or daytime exteriors in harsh environments, maybe. The questions are very different when there is OPM on the line and the amount saved on cameras buys very little elsewhere these days.

Thanks for reminding me about the BMCC I'll take a closer look there, too. I've shot with REDs before and I'm not a huge fan of the look or post workflow. What made the GH4 so attractive, really, was its small form factor. I'd love to find a camera about one step up in quality and cost that had the same size. But I suppose that's one of the things that makes this camera stand out is there really isn't anything close in size that can do what it does. (I just wish it was a -little- bit more.)

Thanks all, for helping me think through this.

• The GH2 was and is perfectly suited image wise for a feature, as long as the camera is "Panavised" to withstand the rigour of daily life on a set...the image is amazing in the right hands...Upstream Color suffered badly from needing a DP....not the GH2...The GH4 is even more capable and after a bit of experimenting people will figure this camera out also...has to be in a rig, but otherwise an excellent camera at any price!

• Yes, of course the GH4 is feature ready. The cost savings therein may result in a better looking film due to the additional funds available to pay the lighting crew and post, if you follow me. The Amira gives a much richer image, and industrial reliability, though can't 'fly' on lightweight rigs. You'd need a special issue Alexa for that. Also, Upstream gives a bad impression of what the GH2 is capable of. Visually, it was a middling effort, with lackluster grading.

If money is even remotely an issue, owning GH4s for the production is a wise move. You could still rent Arris for a couple days on those special scenes if you wanted to(slo mo climax etc.)

• I wouldn't take Hurlburt's review of the GH4 seriously...some people just go in with a closed mind and the results seem to follow suit. I'm an 'inner circle' member and the discourse around that test was just weird.

In a time when truly cinematic imagery seems just one more camera away, I certainly wrestle with the same questions in this thread. In the end I bought my second GH4 recently (just before the price drop), over the possibility of an A7s, which I have borrowed from Sony on a couple of occasions and in a few scenarios, really loved. I have a sort of distaste for the idea of duplicate cameras, but of course that is silly, it turns out to be extremely useful, even more so than my previous GH4/3 combo.

The GH4 strikes me as the most reliable workhorse in the class. I'm pretty temped by the Ursa, but Blackmagic in general makes me nervous on a number of fronts. An Epic isn't exactly one step up price wise, but while I am a RED fan in general I am not a fan of the idea of myself using one on the kinds of shoots I do for similar reasons as Blackmagic. The A7s is a very cool camera, but during the daytime I don't really feel it over the GH4. A GH4 with a Lumix zoom is a formidable thing in a small package, with its 4k-weather-sealed-long-battery-life-over-cranking-fast-zoom goodness. I am attracted to the idea of something like the F55, but it is out of the question, so I suppose the FS7 is going to be the big 'basically an F55 for 7k' kind of deal that people buy by the millions. Something smells off to me, however...probably because I used an FS700 on a Television show, and a couple of commercials over a year and hated it. It belonged to a producer friend of mine and I even tried to read everything to help him get the best image out of it for a doc he was shooting, and just...nothing I liked about it. I liked walking into a room with it down here in Panama, made us look like big shot movie people, but that isn't the most important thing for onscreen results as you might have figured out by now. Despite my erm, personal view on the matter, people seem to have loved the FS700 and continue to use it as a professional camera to this day. They are acting the same way about the FS7, which makes me, personally, nervous.

Which leaves the GH4. Put an anamorphic lens in front of it if you want cinematic. Don't crank the master pedestal, that fucked up a portion of my 'movie.' Or what the heck, put a Lumix Zoom, a cheap ND filter (so that things aren't perfect) and a talented cast in front of it, good LUT and it will be 'cinematic.'

I've now seen my anamorphic dailies projected in a private but hi-end projection room, and my TV show stuff projected huge for a broadcast presale to 1,500 advertisers and....I hate it, but I hate it less than everything else I see and compare it with, save only a few films in cinemas, which is my criteria for camera success.

• @caveport

Use faster lens,use faster aperture, maybe add speedbooster to it, use ND filter and there is your "look"

• @DouglasHorn

I think overall that you cant manage to create a proper image from the start from any camera at all.

GH1,GH2,GH3 and GH4. All this cameras has enough big sensor size and quality to make any movie you like. (specially GH2, not talking about 4k crop here only 1080p) The hack for the first 2, actually made them a threatening tool for final delivery image to many bigger and better professional cameras.

Dynamic Range? for me that's a creative proposition, though a challenge. Its like making a complex panting only with 3 colors. Those who cant then are exposed.

Saying at this point that a camera is the limiting factor, is only accepted if an specific look from Full frame or medium format aperture look is required from a longer distance. THAT'S IT.

So please share with us your work and tell us what scene could not be done with any GH series of cameras. Its not fan boy talking, its just that i cant withstand the lack of technical knowledge from you to say that this tool don't has enough quality in a variety of real world shooting situations.

• The real issue is form factor for focus pulls and easy operation. I love what I can achieve with my GH4 but it's not the right tool for serious drama shoots.

• BMCC. I love my BMCC. Hurlyburten loves it too. Not that that matters. Raw wins. With all the firmware fixes lately and with speedbooster and good lens it is a force to be reckoned with.

• I read Shane Hurlburt's review (thanks for posting it!) and the comments. I think it does give me some clarity. I like a lot about the GH4--the lightweight 4K and relatively cheap bodies would help a lot on a particular project I have coming up, but all told, I don't think it has enough quality in a variety of real world shooting situations for me.

So what is the next step up? RED Epic? I love Arri Alexas but I think that's probably a little big and heavy for what I have to do on this project.