Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX100 camera topic
  • 566 Replies sorted by
  • @kurth: "... downloadable"... to paying vimeo customers, I suppose. And the description does not state the files would be straight from the camera, they are probably "after editing".

• @karl...there's a downloadable mp4 file associated with the above video at vimeo

• Has anybody published raw image files or unprocessed 4k videos, yet?

• @stevens37y: Using MJPEG instead of h.264 for the "photo oriented 4k video mode" would not make much sense: The quality would be vastly inferior at the same bandwidth. And extracting still images from a h.264 recording is no big deal for a camera processor.

• no inbuilt ND, but a 43mm thread on the lens, so all is good.

thinking of trading in my 12-35mm for the LX100 for running and gunning (aka days out with my 1 year old) and keeping GH2 + voigt 17.5 for... mmm as a resigned run and gun hobbiest with fast moving subject material that also needs to be carried a lot, is this the end of the line for my GH2?

• Great news ( in answer to my preceding post ) ! And I really like the revolving recording function as well.

• @stevens37y....the on/off switch is a physical control...and it's interpreted by the firmware. Your statement is an obvious truism. The point is whether you can record video in all of the aspect ratios, and whether the creative filter mode now has manual exposure control....i.e. whether the controls are the ultimate determining/overriding factor.

@Vitaliy...yes ...when the firmware is released , if it's released sooner than the lx100, then they should know what kind of file format. It'd be great if they gave us another 4k option. And it makes sense because many still photographers don't want to use nle's .

ps....according to image-resource, the 16:9 video is cropped after the fact by the camera, not recorded in another aspect ratio

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/09/18/firmware-updates-will-bring-4k-photo-mode-to-panasonic-gh4-fz1000

• "physically manual control of aspect ratio, shutter speed and aperture on the camera" These are not "physical" controls. They are interpreted by the firmware.

They are physical controls, do not make any confusion. Shutter speed is set by top wheel, aperture and aspect are set by on lens controls.

• photo oriented 4k video mode"

For this just check GH4 and FZ1000 firmware update.

• "photo oriented 4k video mode" might be a kind of MJPEG not MP4 format I think.

• @kurth September 20

"physically manual control of aspect ratio, shutter speed and aperture on the camera" These are not "physical" controls. They are interpreted by the firmware.

• @DrDave: Indeed, it would be most easy for Leica to pay the EU customs penalty for >30min video recording capability out of the higher price they ask. But that wouldn't change the 15min limit for 4k recording (assuming that is really heat-related), and since Leica stopped to manufacture cameras on their own, they never targeted customers interested in technical specifications, so I doubt they would change anything but the casing and the price.

• My understanding is that the jpeg engine is different, but what does it matter if you shoot raw? If the recording time for video is different that might add some value.

• Well if so, I'll stick to the original LX100 and save some money for other stuff...

• Until now, the color science is the same in Panasonics and their derived Leicas - only differences are the outside cosmetics, 3 year warranty and a copy of Lightroom bundled. Let's see if there is something new now.

About the shutter speed for video, it was explained in one of the videos posted here - you set the shutter in 1/60 (or any speed) in the upper dial, and change to a value between the stops (like 1/50) using the rear dial (the one with the 4-way controller)

• I'm more interested in the video area of this camera, but the Leica badge does look appealing :D If the picture quality (color & processing) it's better and it's only a bit more expensive I even might consider going for the Leica one, any tips on the video on this version? Can we expect the same as the lumix version?

• @Tron Indeed, according to the Leica representatives, even though Leica D-Lux looks identical to LX100, the flat fielding and color correction software is different.

• It appears some sample images from the Leica D-Lux sister camera are now up. It's worth noting the color science may be different (which looks great IMO) but the general lens characteristics should be the same as the LX100 - http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Compact-Cameras/Leica-D-Lux-Typ-109/Image

• Shooting with the LX100 is quite fun if you're into taking manual control, while the camera in general feels snappy and responsive. The lens has a fast, smooth zoom and locks focus quickly. The physical dials all have a healthy amount of resistance and toothy detents, save for the smooth-turning aperture ring on the lens.

http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx100-first-impressions-review

• @karl: That bands are normaly only coming with the electronic shutter (and certain shutter times).
    On the other hand I hope, that it´s possible to manually set the shutter in video mode WITHOUT the dial.
    (As 1/60th of a second isn´t perfect - Especially when you´re shooting 25P here in Europe.
    AND as the shutter speed steps would be a little bit "raw" compared to any other camera ^^.)

• @FeriGGGG I don't think you really know what the BM cameras are capable of or else you wouldn't call it "BM Fail". 4k is not the whole story, I'll take a 1080p 422HQ 10bit / RAW over any 4K 420 8bit camera any day.. the Color Depth is all there. Lastly the image on the BM Cams are soo.. filmic, the IQ is phenomenal, DR is just off the roof. I think I know why so many shooters don't appreciate the BM's because they don't really know how to get the best out of them in the color process. Not trying to take anything away from the LX100 looks like a really nice camera, but I'm so thankful, grateful for my BMPCC t'ill this day no other camera manufacturer gives us features like that, even cameras 16X times the price point.

• Perfect cam if it did not have the time limit, whatever it is.