Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • Pete: I must have taken dumb pills today: thank you, perfect.

• here's a video of high iso cinematic-style G6 video I really like this cam!! just wish i had high bitrates like on the GH2 with hack...

• Nice, but a lot of pale halos around edges... especially on the 1st minute. Was the High Dynamic Range on..?

• Nope I guess it was me pushing the shadow/highligths too much in post!

• @Adam_Mercier Very nice. What were your settings/exposure for the scenes?

• I used a custom profile with contrast and saturation at -2, sharpness at zero. I applied filmconvert in post to give it some "film look" and hide digital noise.

• @adam_mercier Thanks Adam. The movement in the footage was very smooth. What were your shutter settings?

• This time I was very cautious with shutter angle and used 1/50 all the times. Last time I used 1/125 on some shots and the difference is very visible! I feel like this camera is more sensitive to shutter angle than say the canon DSLRs...

• Hello everyone! First time posting here, but have been lurking on this thread for some weeks which helped me decide to buy a G6. I had been using Canon cameras for all my work the last few years, but the evidence is pretty overwhelming that the IQ crown (especially at this price range) goes to Panasonic and I couldn't hold out any longer! Thanks to all of you for your posts and videos - I have really enjoyed reading and watching. Here is one of the first videos I've completed using footage from the G6, so I am happy to hear any suggestions or comments you guys might have.

The footage is about 80% G6, mixed with a little of the actual studio production recording from the JVC GY-HD250 cameras shown in some of the shots (wide shots of the band). Used the "Natural" Photo Style at -3,-2,-2,-2 and graded in FCPX. The shots in the control room were done with a Fujian 35mm f1.7 c-mount lens and the shots of the camera operators and some of the band were done using a Helios 58mm f2 M42 mount lens.

• Has anybody done any shutter speed tests? I will be shooting in a venue with CFL Lighting through out. We will be shooting 24p and getting a DCP made. I have a video I threw together to test the smoothness and motion blur of the camera.

Which do you feel has the most Natural movement?

Which do you feel has the most cinematic movement?

• I have a question for the owners of Panasonic G6.

Can you please tell me how much a fully charged battery lasts in full HD recording, how many minutes?

Thank you very much!

• @Mckinise : nice test but it all looked the same to me... maybe 1/40 to 1/125 would make more visible differance! In term of shutter angle you changed from 216 to 144° wich is not so much. 1/125 makes it 69°... it's good to know we have some safety margins.

@Eno : I usually get 4-hours shooting sessions no problem on one battery but that's not continuous, I filmed an event for 1h30 continuois with 2 or 1 bar left too so I'm quite confident about this cam battery life!

• @Adam_Mercier: Thank you very much for the answer.

• @Adam_Mercier Thanks. I was amazed that there was so little difference. In the native footage you can tell that there is a little more detail with movement. I am going to do a cinema test this next week. Then I will be able to see if there are other issues.

• I did this, may be helpful for some!

Shutter interval.PNG
    902 x 560 - 49K
  • @Eno I did a test on battery life. I got two hours of continuous recording in each battery. In practice that can cover me for an entire day's worth of documentary shooting.

• @Adam_Mercier if you remember your settings for G6 in film convert, would you care to share how you did it? Thanks. (nice looking tone of colour.)

• @Boncrek: Thank you very much for the info, very helpful.

• Hi all!

I bought today an external mic for my G6 and I have some questions. It is a Senheiser MKE 400, I've done some quick tests on the street (I'm going to use it mainly outdoors) and it works pretty well.

However, I'm not sure how to configure the camera. I set the sound level to 2 and 3 and it was fine, but I've read some comments on other camera models that recommend to set the level to 1. Is there a specific reason for that?

There is also a menu option to activate wind reduction, and a few options. I don't know if this specifically intended for the internal mic or if it may be useful also with an external one that has its one wind reduction (it did capture some wind noise and I have not yet bought a proper wind-muff). Any ideas?

I have also read about an awful AGC that cannot yet be deactivated on the camera? How will it affect sound recording with my current setup?

Thanks a lot for your help!

• I think that you should one level 1 mic if you have also some good external mic preamp cause they camera ones tend to be noisy. But if you don't have good mic preamp then it should be better to use optimal settings on the camera (lvl 2 maybe) because if the sound is too low you'd have to volume up in post and that would even create more hiss. I also think that those wind reduction options wouldnt be best options, better use deat cat on mic.

• Testing the G6 with some different glass in front of it, nothing fancy here, just some random shots in different conditions. I found on my copy at least, I can't use the ETC mode in lowlight with iso lower than 320, I get these nasty noisy bands running across the image horizontally, they clean up some with a de-noiser, but they can still be seen here and there. I also find my copy has less noise at different iso when scrolling right to left through the iso's, this is somewhat like the gh2 does. I posted on it before, others have stated they don't see any difference, so I'm wondering if I have a quirky copy of the camera. I also noticed the peaking function degrades with lowering the sharpening for obvious reasons, but it's very drastic when you have peaking on then up- or lower the sharpness in cam, the peaking areas almost disappear from the LCD. I have a tough time with holding this cam, I have big hands, and accidentally hit the white balance button with my palm. Despite those minor issues, it's still a KICK ASS camera, especially for the money. Photos are fantastic once you get used to how it's setup. Very different than using other dslr's with continuous monitoring. Do others use A or P as a way to monitor real time exposure changes? I also programmed a button for preview when shooting in M, which I prefer.

• @naphta - setting the pre-amp level so low on the G6 means that you're doing two things - minimising the effect of any AGC and also keeping the noise floor on yourrecordings as low as possible. It does mean you have to run the mic at high levels though. The wind reduction is an audio lo pass filter designed to filter out lo frequency wind rumble - sometimes these eq shelves are pretty steep, and I'd rather do it myself in post if I need to

• @gold house media, it's funny, no matter what state you go to, every public access cable channel set looks the same, lol

• @maranfilms haha! So true. That type of plastic plant only grows in the presence of public access radiation.

Do you find that when you're using the exposure preview (I also mapped it to a button) in M mode, the photos come out exposed the same as in the preview? I know in regular M mode the brightness is being adjusted automatically so that you always have something to focus and frame with, and it doesn't represent what will be saved as your image. It seems, though, that even when the exposure preview is turned on, the photos don't match the preview. There is another thread about this, but it's still confusing. Is there any other way to set the camera up to show exactly what is going to be captured at the correct brightness?

• @Goldhousemedia, HAHA that's funny, the public access fichus tree, buy a shipping container full and get a free curtain for your set backdrop. At least they got rid of the rotary phone on the octagon table:)

The live view is my biggest issue with the g6, aside from the noisy banding in ETC mode under 400 iso. I know what you mean about not getting the exact image as shown in live view, sometimes I go with it, then realize my exposure meter is off losing the shot. I been shooting more in A and P mode, seems to help a bit because I use all manual glass. I'm kind of getting use to the little toggle on top to change shutter speed with, my wheel's got sensitive, so when I go to spin it, I accidentally press it much of the time. Despite some of the issue I still tend to grab it over my gh2, 5d, t3i, etc... for photos. I did a shoot for a lady and was more happy with the g6 pics than the 5d pics. That crop factor damn near makes everything a portrait lens. lol