Personal View site logo
Adobe premiere AUDIO DROP OUTS
  • I have searched far and wide to the far reaches of the internet and came up with nothing.

This has been a problem with adobe premiere as long as I can remember and still in the brand new CC version I am still getting audio drop outs randomly.

It is very random and can happen at any time the audio will drop out, then come back in and then go out again. If I stop playback and re-start, it will play for a little while and do it again.

I have tried changing every setting I possibly can within premiere and within my system and I am at a complete loss.

It is making it impossibly to do any editing

PLEASE HELP ME :(

• 23 Replies sorted by
  • @tylerknight

First, good idea is to use Premiere CC topic so more people can see it.

Second, most probably it is related either to encoders installed in your system or to your sound card.

• @tylerknight Also try posting on Adobe's Premiere community forum.

• It is known issue with CS6, but as I remember there is still no general solution. I was hoping that they will fix it in CC. Some solutions have worked for some people, but for others problem persists. It happens with some codecs (AVC e.g.) and no problems with others (ProRes).

• I have had this problem since cs3 and it has only gotten worst with CC.

I have had 3 different systems in that timespan, totally different hardware, and have updated all my audio drivers and wiped my audio encoders to start fresh NOTHING works.

The adobe premiere community forum is the same thing. NO ONE has a solution and Adobe refuses to acknowledge the bug.

I have been using premiere since I began editing and now I am having to try and find another option as I am editing two tv episodes for tsn two at the moment and my system can't even make it through a 30 second interview without the audio cutting out.

• Huh, It is frustrating. Is it imposible for you to transcode and replace the footage?

• It doesn't matter what footage I use. This has been happening since cs3 and my first consumer avchd camera.

The tv show we shot is using the new sony 4k z100 cameras in MXF format and a pmw200 in mxf format as well.

I have used tens of different formats and all of them have had this audio drop out problem. I have tried rendering the the timeline, exporting the audio and then replacing and it doesn't seem to matter.

I can literally watch the audio meters of another track completely drop as another one is going still and then that one come back in randomly and the other one drop out.

Even on a single track one video/one audio same thing it could play for 5 minutes no problem or it could play for 15 seconds and drop out and back in etc.

Adobe won't listen and there are hundreds of complaints about the issue.

Is no one else experiencing this?

• @tylerknight I'm on Premiere Pro CC and used CS6 before that on Windows 7 machine. No problems for me when editing. I may have experienced an error with an audio clip dropping out after I exported and burned a BluRay disc. Does this error also occur when exporting files (I used (MPEG 2 - BluRay file format)?

I would lodge official complaints with Adobe and request upper level technicians to guide you through a thorough diagnosis over phone. If that can't fix it, I'd say it's time to switch if you're doing serious paid work. I happen be one of those people who like Adobe products and Creative Cloud, but if was getting those errors...and if Adobe techs can't fix...I'd be gone with the wind. FCPX or FCP7 maybe. Davinci Resolve Lite to color grade maybe.

Sounds like a real bitch of problem. Best of luck with quick solution.

• I had this, but it was only (?!) playback issue, export was fine. And only with mts files and 3-4 audio tracks

• @tylerknight ... sympathies. Hell of a problem to have.

Yet ... Adobe is clearly quite aware that a few out of the several thousand users have the problem ... as the staffers on the Adobe forums (who, btw, participate there on their own time as that is a user<->user forum) have acknowledged over and over. Yes, "a few" can be several hundred in the kinds of numbers they are talking about. They've constantly tried to fix whatever things they can find that can be fixed. This is apparently something that's a mix of hardware/combinations, codecs/combinations, and which Tuesday your mother's aunt washed her clothes. It drives their coders nuts. And as noted by several above posts in this thread, they're not having the issues, or have had it intermittently and or had it go away.

Very few (proportionally) computers have this problem. This is why they've frequently asked for complete log reports & that sort of thing, including wanting to remote-task with users with the problem as most of the time NONE of their 'staff' computers can be even caused to develop this. If you can't replicate, you can't isolate the code or other issues to fix. And when they've found one bit that they can isolate, it's frequently been a very "local" issue that only appears with the right mix of several different (and some very puzzling) factors.

So all this is to say it's a huge bummer for those like you that have one or several of the problem "childs" on your computer ... and as yes, it's been a long-time hanger-on issue for some, no one can guarantee a fix. So sadly, you might need to consider switching software. Not because Adobe's ignoring the problem, but because they can't guarantee a fix.

Like when Mac just released their latest OS, which caused a lot (but certainly not all) Mac users with AJA, Kona, & Blackmagic & high-end Nvidia (especially Quadro's) video cards to have mega-issues, which they were demanding that Adobe fix. The problems came about because of changes in the OS software that hadn't been "shipped" to Adobe to know about ... and for a bit they had a hell of a time as Apple wasn't particularly interested in helping with the problem. SOME Mac's with the oft-affected cards worked fine ... some had issues but they could find a work-around, and some basically puked. They've got most but not all of those issues fixed judging by forum posts.

Neil

• Have you tried ASIO drivers? External 24 bit USB?

• I have asio drivers that came with it can you direct me to some others perhaps??

• @tylerknight I would delete all media cache, preview files then let premiere conforming footages again.

• @tinbeo

I have tried that hundreds of times literally haha I have tried everything the internet and adobe have told me to do and nothing has worked. This is on multiple versions of premiere as well as several different systems with different processors, gpus, etc

• All these issues are only in Mac's, I tried using Adobe CC in windows with a same spec Laptop as comparable to a macbook pro, no problems at all in Adobe CC Windows version, i guess Apple does not want people to use Adobe in macs, they want to force people to use FCP only, this is been a delibreate attempt by apple to not let adobe CC to work flawlessly on MAC OSX through their updates ....Guys try using Adobe CC (Premier / AFX ) on Windows computer, you will notice the difference immediately, i am a mac user myself, but was so annoyed with the Adobe CC having audio dropouts / Graphic Card issues on my MacBook Pro Late 2013 (spec-2.3ghz, 16gb Ram, 2gbNvidia graphic card), these problems are only while using Adobe CC, if i use FCP all works fine in my MacBook Pro.

• I find it interesting that the Adobe staffers say they seem to have an excellent relationship with Apple still, and when things come up they get fairly quick attention from Apple to help solve things. Yet ... every flipping time there's a tiny-dot update to the Mac OS, a ton of people get mangled trying to use Adobe software for video editing. And then over a month or so most get "fixed" though at times Adobe has bluntly said to roll back to "Os ?.?" as they can't guarantee smooth operation with a different/newer version.

Coming from the PC side where we always used to have "inferior" OS & even hardware drivers, it's ... stunning ... to see how damn difficult the whole Mac side has gotten over the last year or so vis a vis Adobe DVA's.

So ... for those on the MAC still having issues, you might search about rolling back Mac OS for using with Adobe products. There's even official Adobe blogs that discuss this.

Neil

• Sometimes when you have an awful bug you just need to swap out your hardware until it goes away. Sure, there may be a fix but you might spend a month trying to find it. I don't really care which computer I use, and for me there is really no difference, but if I was building a workstation, I would build a windows machine for my audio and video because it will be cheaper, faster and more reliable. If the mac were cheaper, faster and more reliable, I would switch over. Instantly. Today. On the phone with the dealer. First in line at the mac store, at the genius bar which is characterized by a complete lack of geniuses of any variety. No matter, I would switch over, and if it went the other way, I would switch back. Because I'm not running Mac, I'm not running PC, I'm running Adobe.

No reason not to have a dual boot machine, either, if you just want to have a Mac. Many of my colleagues have macs and boot into windows for editing--problem solved.

There's also no reason to have your "computer" be the same as your workstation, and, indeed, a lot of reasons not to. Strip it down to the mean, lean machine. No bloatware. No Snapchat. No Facebook. No 99,999 proggies all running services in the background. Just work.

I just finished building a silent tower workstation with 14 swapable drives, an overclocked six core cpu (for 12 ht cores), SSD boot drive. 32 gb ram. And dang, if the whole thing wasn't cheap. It just runs a few adobe programs. Sure, there's a browser on it, but it sits in the corner, and when I need to work, which is all day, every day, I go over there and work. I also invested in a steelcase chair. Yup, that's a serious chair. Because I sit in it all day staring at the mighty clone.

So yes, Adobe has bugs, but for a few dollars you can keep the bugs to a minimum and seriously crunch some numbers. Sometimes the solution to a problem is just to buy your way out of it with something fast and cheap.

A software suite like Adobe is a parasite that takes control of the host. The operator of the computer's brain is even affected, so that they may think they are still living in Macworld but they are for the moment living in Adobe world. There is no cure. The parasite will slowly sift and siphon away all your money until nothing is left but a slightly crunchy husk that will blow away in a puff of wind. Which happens to us all; so no biggie.

You can wait for Adobe to fix all their problems--after a decade or so, one comes to the inescapable conclusion that this will not happen. Or you can buy your way out of it and get back to work. Often, buying your way "up" instead of out is a fast and efficient solution. Considering what I was using three years ago, I feel like I have moved from coach to first class. That said, even first class has microwaved food.

One last thought--90 percent of the people who report problems are those who immediately apply an update when it comes out. Most of these people, if asked, would probably say it is better to wait until the chaos and wreckage has been cleared. But, if given the choice, they invariably choose to be in effect beta testers, and wade into the chaos and wreckage. I never do this because I simply don't have time to fix it when it goes bad--and it will go bad. If I had the time, I bet I would wade in and get toasted. It's tempting. It's human nature. But I don't have time. Instead, I just wait a few months, then evaluate the situation. I leave the beta testing to those who like to roll forward then roll back. When I do the update, I just create an image of the boot drive to another SSD. When bad things happen, the fix is just a few clicks away.

Audio dropouts: render out the audio in a professional DAW like Sequoia or Pyramix, then combine it with the video. Many DAWs will do this within the program. I often do it this way anyway to do some complicated patching, but I don't get any dropouts in Premiere. So far.

Keep on truckin'--my only choice.

• @DrDave

One last thought--90 percent of the people who report problems are those who immediately apply an update when it comes out. Most of these people, if asked, would probably say it is better to wait until the chaos and wreckage has been cleared. But, if given the choice, they invariably choose to be in effect beta testers, and wade into the chaos and wreckage.

You're obviously not an Adobe CC subscriber - everyone knows that CC updates are automatically downloaded and installed on release, and there is no such thing as reverting back to a previous version. That's just one reason why I'm still on CS5.5 with no regrets.

However, Adobe's worst Achilles heal on Windows is Apple's shameful failure to produce a 64-bit upgrade to QuickTime. It doesn't matter how many gigs of RAM you have, if you pile enough layers on an After Effects project it will eventually lock up with a QT32 memory fault. Then you Ctrl-Alt-Del into Task Manager, kill the QuickTime process, AE revives and you can save your project and reboot.

• I am a CC subscriber ... and no, it doesn't automatically update the program ... it does notify there is an update available. So ... you're missing that one.

Next ... yes, you can revert to a previous version. They've a process for that, and many people have done so. What you can't do is take a project from say 8.2.0(65) [the current CC Prpro] and drop it into say 7.2, the second "ish" of the original CC program.

So ... if you've say a project from the 8.0 release that doesn't work in the current one, you can uninstall and use the CC desktop app to go back to the previous version, then work your project from it's appropriate version file.

There are for specifics people using the 7.2 equivalent versions that still had the gold outline/text in the UI, rather than using the 8+ versions with the dark blue line. That dark blue is one of the things expected to get changed in whatever they're coming out with ... and as they've all but tucked their engineers under a cloud right now (pun intended) ... it's a pretty good guess they're trying to put out new versions of PrPro, Ae, SpeedGrade, and probably Audition as a minimum for NAB 2015 coming up next month.

Will they get everything "fixed" that has vexed some (though of course not all) of the users in the current ish? We'll just have to stay tuned ...

Neil

• @lpowell I turned off the updates and have not installed the latest update because I heard people were having "problems." I've heard of ppl reverting to a previous version, so I figger it is possible, but I just use the disk image if I need it, and then I don't have to worry about "leftovers."

Totally agree with you on quicktime--it is seriously the pits.

@tylerknight another thought on dropouts, are these actual dropouts that you see in a DAW or is the program just complaining that there are dropouts?

• @rNeil @DrDave

I am a CC subscriber ... and no, it doesn't automatically update the program ... it does notify there is an update available.

Oh, my mistake then. I must not've seen that option when I tried out CC soon after it came out.

• Yea, they've changed a few things. It's theoretically an amazing idea, being able to use say a standard PrPro project file and work it "seamlessly" in a grading, effects, audio, or other graphics programs without need of exporting or going through the whole XML/EDL/proxy/online-offline/intermediaries process. And for when it works its wondrous.

There are a few kinks still, to be truthful. Updating versions within a major project's work-up, is clearly not a wise thing to do. The change from 8.1 to 8.2 was rolled out as a simple "dot" upgrade, but there were some major re-working of code and process in many places and that hammered some people. They've apologized for that on their forums.

Also many of their staffers who normally are regular presences on the forums for PrPro, Ae, or SpeedGrade ... are nearly non-existent but for a few comments now & then, which ... also given the timing of NAB in Vegas early next month ... leads me to believe they are trying to hammer a few kinks out of the works to announce at NAB. Looking forward to seeing what they've got.

As it is, I'm functioning pretty good in my one-man operation at the moment.

Neil

• @lpowell there's plenty of reasons not to upgrade--spanning bugs and digital rain. Premiere still does not handle pulldown--even though AE has for years. Strange company. OTOH, the new masks feature for most of the filters is really good.

• @DrDave

Intriguing company. Many moving parts shall we say? Very human in final ... effect. Some decisions seem (as a user) to have been very wise. Some bits & pieces seem ... not quite there? Some things can become very problematic for X number of users on Y OS with Z video card on the first Tuesday of spring.

That concatenation of interests, capabilities, responsibilities, and things out of their control keeps life ... interesting.

Yet I'm not complaining too much. I'm doing that whole Direct Link think betwixt PrPro & SpeedGrade rather slickly such that I do so appreciate the integration of their apps into a "workflow". It's not perfect but for my needs, far easier than anything else.

Neil