Personal View site logo
US: Food improvements
  • The U.S. cattle herd contracted for six straight years to the smallest since 1952, government data show. A record drought in 2011 destroyed pastures in Texas, the top producing state, followed the next year by a surge in feed-grain prices during the worst Midwest dry spell since the 1930s. Fewer cattle will mean production in the $85 billion beef industry drops to a 20- year low in 2014, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said.

http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?docId=1376-MZ7GIW6TTDT301-4UDOIBJFH0PEJNE5L2E1UTNKT2

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • That leaves us wondering ... where's the beef?

• That leaves us wondering ... where's the beef?

And what do you think?

• It's a perfect example of supply & demand. The cost of beef will continue to rise due to the frigid temperatures roaming through the US & Canada. The price of grains will continue to skyrocket due to the additional feed neccessary to keep the cows hearty. We are all affected by "Mother Nature" in our daily lives.

• Mother nature just slightly helped here. Your "perfect market" did the most damage.

• Very true VK.

• Don't tell me we are witnessing peak food cuz that's scary.

• Don't tell me we are witnessing peak food cuz that's scary.

This one is easy. Food production highly depend on oil and gas, extremely highly. In fact, food production is ineffective energy conversion were about 7-10 cal of oil is transformed to about 1 cal of food.

• Anyway, who needs intensively farmed animals? Eat less meat?

I do not know about you, but I prefer meat to rice any time of the day.

• Mother nature just slightly helped here. Your "perfect market" did the most damage.

Well, allot of the problem is that there haven't really been any "markets" for some time. Too much bureaucracy, high-jacked industries, and federal control of US currency means that the "markets" have no real chance of working as they should.

• Too much bureaucracy, high-jacked industries, and federal control of US currency means that the "markets" have no real chance of working as they should.

I think we already heard this :-)