Personal View site logo
Where Are All the Women?
  • 90 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Okay, I'm sorry but the reason why most changes happen tends to come down to economics or political pressure more often than any sense of "what's right". That has nothing to do with what I was discussing, nor does it have anything to do with the original post that you started the thread with.

If you pay a woman less than a man for doing the same job, then I have a problem with that. If you prevent a competent women from getting a job because of her gender, then I have a problem with that.

And no, everyone isn't the same - just like all people with the same gender aren't the same. There are traits that I prize in my friends that I've encountered in a very small number of people, some of them men and some of them women. And I've encountered their exact opposite in people of the same gender. It's not that gender isn't present - it's that it's not an accurate indicator of either personality traits or competence because there is so much variation.

One of my favorite collaborators is a singer, composer, mother and third-degree black-belt martial artist. She is capable of both great warmth and ferocity and her professional ability is beyond reproach. What exactly am I supposed to gain in my evaluation of her by looking at her gender before I consider whether I want to work with her? I can't even assume a voice type based on her gender (there's a pretty big difference between an alto and a high soprano). And if you think that her son is missing out because of her professional life, then you've clearly never met him.

In Sweden, paternity leave is available to parents of either gender. The most important thing is for the kid to get to have a chance to bond with their parent(s). Yes, of course it's normally ideal for the kid to get to have breast milk as opposed to formula. But how long is that an issue for? Kids move to solid foods rather quickly and at that point the most important thing is whether the child has a parent that provides closeness and comfort, not the gender of that parent.

Anyway, don't get me started on parenting. If you want to know where I'm coming from just read one of the books my parents individually wrote (or co-wrote) on the topic.

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Coach-Parenthood-Winning-Parents/dp/0965776085

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Vol-Gloria-J-Walther/dp/1439273499

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Volume-Gloria-J-Walther/dp/1453795979

• In Sweden, paternity leave is available to parents of either gender. The most important thing is for the kid to get to have a chance to bond with their parent(s). Yes, of course it's normally ideal for the kid to get to have breast milk as opposed to formula. But how long is that an issue for? Kids move to solid foods rather quickly and at that point the most important thing is whether the child has a parent that provides closeness and comfort, not the gender of that parent.

Issue with natural milk is directly related to modern birth approach, idea for mother to work almost instantly after birth in many countries and constant stress on work that makes it impossible to use natural feeding.

As for idea of "either gender" and overall Sweden and Norway approaches I do not share them. I think huge divorces bump, issues with education, children health show that it was wrong idea.

Drop this fucking "gender" word. Invention of some idiots.

It is VERY important to have mother near child. And father from time to time, also.

Anyway, don't get me started on parenting. If you want to know where I'm coming from just read one of the books my parents individually wrote (or co-wrote) on the topic.

May be good idea is to make separate topic on it?

One of my favorite collaborators is a singer, composer, mother and third-degree black-belt martial artist. She is capable of both great warmth and ferocity and her professional ability is beyond reproach. What exactly am I supposed to gain in my evaluation of her by looking at her gender before I consider whether I want to work with her?

I think people have issues constantly pressing on same things. If you want to say that happy mothers, great professionals in their work, with many good and educated children exist in this world - I agree with you. Problem is it is more like exception. And different with approach to different sex on work is simple and natural. Good mother usually(!, not always) underperforms compared to man around her. She just have many other problems and her biology is also made here more suitable for them.

Right now as elites want to rip people and control birth rates people are pressed to believe that your career is number one in this world. And I do not agree here.

• Sweden's (and to a lesser degree Denmark and Norway) official, politically correct approach to "gender politics" is oppressive and warped. There's a bias in liberal media here domestically and abroad to portray those policies as popular and an expression of the happy, smiley Scandinavians. In reality the liberal political and cultural elite use authoritative legislative force to push their insane policies down our throats. Most Scandinavians are are disgusted by some of the idiotic stuff these politicians and think-tanks cook up.

• There's so much crap in this thread but I have to choose my battles. The one I'll make a point of is feminism vs reality. My #1 proof that a feminist movement is necessary is that a majority of women around me report having been sexually assaulted by men. This ranges from verbal assaults on the streets to the most atrocious acts I have no words to describe for. How many men around me get assaulted by women? None. This is in 1 of the richest and most 'developed' countries in the world. If this is nature/reality then you bet I'm gonna fight it.

• My #1 proof that a feminist movement is necessary is that a majority of women around me report having been sexually assaulted by men. This ranges from verbal assaults on the streets to the most atrocious acts I have no words to describe for.

I see big problem with it. What you mean under "assault"? How womans survived thousands of years if they were constantly "assaulted"?

As your fight resulted in situation were people on work can't flirt or meet. And were firms force people to sign idiotic papers.

• Issue with natural milk is directly related to modern birth approach, idea for mother to work almost instantly after birth in many countries and constant stress on work that makes it impossible to use natural feeding.

That is true, the system is grinding and we should blame and try to intervene for that to change. That has nothing to do with gender equality. Some things have to change or we are all fucked, no matter what gender or sex or whatever you like to call it. I prefer the term gender for social and cultural and sex for biological aspects, but that is also blurry, and a topic of it's own.

Good mother usually(!, not always) underperforms compared to man around her.

Shouldn't we shape the system to help her? Long way, perhaps utopian, but a legitimate goal for me.

Evolution (i.e. REALITY) and feminism DO NOT work together.

@bwhitz That's simply not true, but I must give you credit for courage to say something like that :). Also there are many movements and theories within what we refer to as feminism, even theological ones. But, to start with, it is not natural science it is a social theory so really hard to compare.

• That has nothing to do with gender equality. Some things have to change or we are all fucked, no matter what gender or sex or whatever you like to call it.

It has all to do with equality. As if you put woman in equal role she must work equally, hence no proper baby feeding and caring - as result children with constant health and mental problems. Nature does not care about your "equality". As it never existed in nature before and very soon will vanish to same place were it originated.

I prefer the term gender for social and cultural and sex for biological aspects, but that is also blurry, and a topic of it's own.

What is exactly "social and cultural" aspects? Sex is sex, nothing wrong with it. As term "gender" had been fully artificially injected via books and media.

Shouldn't we shape the system to help her? Long way, perhaps utopian, but a legitimate goal for me.

We can. But it won't be equality. It'll be some form of favoritism. In fact it will be full discrimination against woman who decided not to have children.

Some "smart" countries even pay for each extra children. This measure resulted in negative selection as people with goal to get more money an without any skills and education started to produce big amount of offsprings. So, thing that look "smart" on paper look horrible in reality.

But, to start with, it is not natural science it is a social theory so really hard to compare.

What exactly is "social theory" ? I understand "social reality" and I understand "real consequences". But it is just wrong term to call some fantasies as :social theory".

• I see big problem with it. What you mean under "assault"? How womans survived thousands of years if they were constantly "assaulted"?

Rape doesn't kill (necessarily).

As your fight resulted in situation were people on work can't flirt or meet. And were firms force people to sign idiotic papers.

Those are consequences of bad government, not of feminist demands for sexual safety and self-determination.

• @Vitaliy

What exactly is "social theory" ? I understand "social reality" and I understand "real consequences". But it is just wrong term to call some fantasies as :social theory".

Social theory does have implications on policies that have influence on our biological lives or deaths for that matter. It's not some weird transcendental poetry.

Terms as "gender" and such are here to help us communicate and better and more precisely pinpoint problems and issues, not to blur or destroy meaning.

• @Vitaliy I think we all agree that it is best when a mother is around her baby 24/7.

But we, as men, should not tell women how to live their lives. Every single woman should have the right to decide themselves what to do with her life.

As far as feminism, in Quatar, where there will be the glorious football worldcup in 2022, women are not allowed to visit stadiums or sport events (official reason: they shall be protected from vulgar men's talking).

I am sure they probably would like to decide for themselves to visit these events or not. What is normal for us is still a men's world in many parts of the world and feminism, to me, is an important force to battle things like that.

• Obsession with "equality" does not arise because of a lack of equality, per se. It always comes when arbitrary limits are placed on a group of people (for whatever defining characteristic - gender, race, etc) from a person or group outside of the one being limited.

In other words, when men tell women what they can and can't do for long enough (which we have), and these patterns become oppressive enough (which they have), it is natural for a group to rebel. The early stages of such a rebellion will necessarily be somewhat lacking in nuance and reactionary, thus blanket statements such as equality, etc.

However, as a teacher, I always notice that if you don't focus on equality, but rather on giving people the space, resources (there's that x factor again), and encouragement to do what they do to their best, whatever that may be (meaning they have a bigger say in it than I do), then they will generally not only tolerate huge differences in skills/talent/opportunity, but will actually celebrate them without a single complaint about what "the other" is getting. However, if I set up a series of seemingly arbitrary rules about who they are, what they are allowed to do, and tie all of it to big (but shallow) identifiers such as gender and race, then my system will rightly be viewed as unfair, lacking in nuance, and more about my interests than about the reality of what that individual is meant to be, capable of being, and wanting to be.

Alas, concentrated power will always tell others what to do for its own interests, and the reaction after time will always be a primal reaction that seeks "equality", whatever that may or may not mean. You can see this in racial issues, social class issues, gender issues, and on and on.

• Terms as "gender" and such are here to help us communicate and better and more precisely pinpoint problems and issues, not to blur or destroy meaning.

OK, how term "gender" help with anything?

But we, as men, should not tell women how to live their lives. Every single woman should have the right to decide themselves what to do with her life.

Problem is it won't work. You do not allow anyone do decide if he is in the mood to kill someone today? I think so. And if any woman can decide that she wants to work and do not want to produce any offsprings, or produce one defective (ill) and never actually care for him - it'll be full society disaster. In fact in developed countries like US and EU we have it in full scale were nations just become extinct and with "equality" fanfare being replaced by immigrants from other nations (by elites).

Simple thing that I try to say here is that individual rights if you take them to extremes always affect this individual obligation for society and lead to society destruction in short time.

As far as feminism, in Quatar, where there will be the glorious football worldcup in 2022, women are not allowed to visit stadiums or sport events (official reason: they shall be protected from vulgar men's talking).

Yep, problem is that "fight for equality" went much much further.

• OK, how term "gender" help with anything?

Well, for example, if Judith Butler's book Gender Trouble was called Sex trouble it would sell much more ;)

• Problem is it won't work.

It's still not up to me or you to decide how a woman shall live her life.

Yep, problem is that "fight for equality" went much much further.

agree

• It's still not up to me or you to decide how a woman shall live her life.

I did not say that it is up to us two only to decide this thing.

But it is up to society to stop complete nonsense. As big societies just die now because of "smart" decisions made by university professors, "feminists" and other strange guys. You claim Hitler as horrible man all across education and media. How about this people who literally eliminated Europe and US future and just did not allow woman to give birth and, instead made them fight now along their husbands (if they are lucky) for same money combined, but now without caring for their children. It is not progress, it is called genocide.

• now without caring for their children

Sorry but I just can't find any basis for that statement.

Edit: I meant something that it would base upon.

• Sorry but I just can't find any basis for that statement.

You can just look at teachers opinion for early grades.

Statistics about children who live with single working parent.

Statistics with children on artificial milk in their early life (and this very significantly affects brain and overall development).

Statistics for EU and US birth rate (for core white population).

• I'm sure that there are more men than women on tech forums... but I also feel the percentage of men on here relative to those into video production is pretty low.

For all of my friends. colleagues who are in the creative/technology field... I can't think of one who spends any time lurking on a forum, much less posting.

• but I also feel the percentage of men on here relative to those into video production is pretty low.

It is not so low as you think :-)

For all of my friends. colleagues who are in the creative/technology field... I can't think of one who spends any time lurking on a forum, much less posting.

And it is strange and sad statement. Btw typical view for people who are not active on communities.

• Did somebody say there are women amongst us?? Wow! OK here goes...

• Nerdy Aussie into camera hacking, Linux and gadgets seeks similar or compatible female for discussion, outings, indy movie watching, -maybe matrimony and possibly even culminating in actual sex.

I also have my aesthetic side (after all, I take pictures). Any geeky girls, nerdy single mums, chicks who can root phones as well as take turns in making expresso, please pm me.

• Feminist girls are great at behaving like men, but my goodness do they make lousy women. Vive la difference!

• They're all in the Kitchen... where they belong.

;)

• They're all in the Kitchen... where they belong.

LOL.

It is interesting to calculate health damage and economic effect due to fast food and half backed food that replaced normal good quality food in many families with working woman.

• Wow! This is really exciting. I've just found a hyperlink to the middle ages! It seems like people in those times loved to use non-arguments like 'Its not natural'. So interesting!

• I've got a gut feeling that a lot of what has been touched on here regarding nurturing mothers gets down to the cost of housing, and the fact that so many young mothers have to work and make the sacrifice of giving up fulltime motherhood. So often the cost of childcare leaves the womans' income with little left anyway, but without her working they won't qualify to get a loan in the first place.

If you wan't to dig into the demographics of a lucky country such as mine, youll find that so much real estate is still being bought up by the first wave of baby boomers after the 2nd world war. These people are well into there sixties, inherited the parents home, bought and own a 3/4 bedroom home, and are still buying up more housing at stupid prices as part of there self funded super annuation schemes, and also claiming negative gearing, and hopefully they will also claim a part pension and seniors card. What chance do there grand kids have of having a mum being available 24/7 in there early years like a lot of us did.

Well maybe it's just history repeating itself, and because of housing costs we will be forced to live like my grandparents with 3 generations living together, and because of this kids will come home from school to a family envoiroment with fresh food on the table that nan or Pop bought during the day whilst mum and dad work.

Sorry if I went too off topic.