Personal View site logo
Lens tests on the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC)
  • 232 Replies sorted by
  • @spacewig The only reason I was looking at the lens was IOS and the Oly doesn't provide that.

• @vicharris Try the Olympus 12-35 (which I've seen used for $1000 on this site) and your jaw will drop.

• Anyone else use the Panasonic 12-35 on the Pocket Cam recently? I picked one up for car mount stuff with the pocket for the OIS and micro jitter problems but damn is the barrel distortion horrible!!! Not sure it's usable.

• This time I tested the Kowa 8mm f1.4 lens that a Chinese seller is offering with an MFT mount already attached.

The Kowa is really sharp even WO, CA is visible in the corners but not stronger than in a Schneider Cinegon 10mm, which is considerably softer in the corners. Even when stopped down the Schneider is not getting to the same sharpness in the corners.

First one is the Kowa 8mm WO, shot on a GH2 in photo mode for resolution. The red frame is the image area of the BMPCC.

For comparison the Schneider Cinegon 10mm at 1.8 (i.e. WO).

The only weak point is the massive moustache distortion, which is much less in the Schneider. I suppose that for machine vision, resolution was the main target when designing the lens, since distortion can be eliminated by software.

I hope to test an Arri/Zeiss 8mm next week.

Kowa_8mm_@1,4.jpg
    4976 x 2800 - 1M
    Cinegon_10mm_@1,8.jpg
    4976 x 2800 - 1000K
  • Had an opportunity today to test the Cosmicar/Pentax 16mm 1.4 and compared it to the 16mm 1.4 Schneider Cinegon already mentioned here. Well, an unfair fight, the Cosmicar can be had for peanuts, while the Cinegon is a serious 16mm lens with S-16 coverage.

As you might have expected, the Cosmicar is a toy lens in comparison. It doesn't vignette on the BMPCC, but the corners are very soft with lots of CA and it has massive barrel distortion, approaching a fisheye look. Even stopping down to 4 doesn't help much, and the T-stop WO is half a stop darker than the same f-stop of the Cinegon.

Might be useful for effects, since the center is reasonably sharp, but it doesn't approach the 25mm Cosmicar/Pentax, which even covers the GH2 (with some corner softness) and isn't too shabby for it's size on the BMPCC.

• @kriscanonizado, did you have to modify the lens any for it to work? I might have to look into this lens

• @Cid Thanks dude. The Vimeo quality sucks, no way to show all the RAW splendor. I am beginning to fall in love with the SK optics, superb resolution and colors and they marry quite well with the BM sensor, not as well with Bolex Switars. Hope you don't have to wait too long for the camera.

• @nachelsoul Great looking shots, man! I´ve bought the SK 16mm recently and I´m looking for testing it on my awaited pocket! Thanks for sharing!

• Fujinon Tv Zoom 14-84mm f/1.6 and Schneider Cinegon RX 10mm F/1.8 (wide shots of the fall)

Little dark corners but still usable.

• @nomad or any other collaborative soul?
    Could you please give me some insights on how to shim (or where to get shimmed) a Canon TV Zoom 15-150 in order to get it to focus properly?
    Right now it can focus only on the longer end.
    Your help will be much appreciated.

• @JuMo I'm excited for the adapter! I just need to get lenses on the wider side that are fast

• @Greek_m43 No problem. I'm shooting on an FD set with the FD to m43 speed booster and I love it. I also can't help but lust over the Sigma, and I might look at picking it up in the future, but I do not regret my investment into the FD speed booster, it's simply amazing on the BMPCC.

• @JuMo Thanks for responding... Maybe I should purchase new 50 and 85mm Nikon glass instead.

• @Greek_m43 To achieve infinity focus with Nikon on FD mount the adapter needs corrective glass. This is not recommended. It will likely teleconvert your lens, you'll lose light transmission and overall IQ will be noticeably degraded. You could try it, but I would be VERY surprised if you got a decent image out of that setup.

• I was wondering if this setup would be a problem. Since I own Canon FD lenses, I was going to get the Speedboost FD >m43. I also want to purchase the Sigma 18-35 f1.8. I was thinking of getting it as a Nikon mount then putting a Nikon>FD adapter. Would that work? Or would I run into focusing issues? Would doing it the other way around work better?

• @lmackreath
    I've seen that lens + Speedbooster tested on the BMPCC here:

• anyone put the tamron 17-50 2.8 on the bmpc yet with or without speedbooster?

• @eatstoomuchjam @JuMo @kritzresn @JuMo Very happy to stimulate your tests on Pentax 110 Lenses :) Coverage is ok (even on m43 standard is pretty good), hope to see in the future some test, they are very cheap and practical lenses ;)

• @eatstoomuchjam cool, good to know! Thanks!

• @JuMo I just tried the 18mm and 24mm lenses and they show no obvious signs of vignetting (I didn't bother with the 50 - but from what I recall, it was fine), but that's not too surprising given that they were made to cover 110 film (13x17mm) and the BMPCC is closer to Super 16 (approx. 7.5x12.5mm).

• I had the pentax 110's on aps-c (nex) and that only showed minor vignetting (but full coverage, just a tad darkened vignetting), i can imagine it will be more good coverage wise on the bmpc's small sensor.

• @eatstoomuchjam A white wall would be enough at first, I think most of us first are just interested to see sensor coverage. We can pixel peep the IQ if they actually cover the sensor!

• @AlbertZ I have a few Pentax A110 lenses (18mm, 24mm, and 50mm) and a BMPCC. I haven't really tried them in any serious way on my BMPCC yet because I don't have any step-up rings to get filters on them (and I suspect that a ring for the 24mm will look ridiculous with even my smallest filters, that sucker is SMALL). It's a fairly overcast day today, though, and I suspect it will be for the next few days, I can probably get some usable exposures. I could certainly take it out and shoot a little bit of footage for you. Would some boring landscapes and leaves be good enough?

• I am pretty impressed about the Lumix 7-14. Only handicap is a missing filter mount as sometimes in 200ASA and bright sunlight f=22 ain't enough. Mr Bloom adapted a filter by putting it over the sunshade - does anybody know what size the ring should have? A 67mm filter threads fit inside of the hood very snug but you need a big filter outside and you have to cover light leakage. Outside mount would probably more useful

http://instagram.com/p/dkBibnKKi3/#

• Anybody around who has successfully adopted the Cosmicar 12.5 to 75 zoom to a MFT adapter going to infinity and can confirm that it covers the BMPCC completely, even around 18mm?

There is too much contradictory information floating around. I have one sitting here, but before taking it apart for machining down the rear, I'd like to know if it's worth the effort.

TIA