Personal View site logo
18-35mm F1.8 Sigma DC zoom lens
  • 335 Replies sorted by
  • @SeekingHeartwood That's the combo I'm going for! Where did you get the Sigma Nikon mount? Really looking forward to some footage :)

• I use the sigma on my FS700 all the time. Just be careful that you will get a black corner once you go all the way to 18mm-20mm. I also use the metabone speedbooster which I can go all the way down to 1.3f. So it low light it look amazing.

But overall this is a great lens. You see some sample here. With this footage I didn't grade it it cause I wanted people to see quality straight out of this camera. Just add a bit of denoise software on the footage that is all. On a side note I wish this lens was a bit lighter and I think for it price point it is a steal.

With this video I darken the footage just a bit. There is a bit of noise there but I was going for that grainy looks.

• Same here.. been eagerly awaiting some tests for that combo. The look of the 18-35 seems relatively close to c/y zeiss glass. Might get rid of the 12-35 just to accomodate it.

• Very much looking forward to those samples :) especially high contrast ones like lights at night
    Are you using a lens support?

• @SeekingHeartwood

My bad. Can you post few samples?

• got the SB just for this lens, expensive combination, but cheaper than several separate primes

• @SeekingHeartwood

OK. I thought that you are talking about SB alone with different lenses. As it looks, at least :-)

• we're talking about the 18-35 sigma 1.8 right? thats the lens i'm using. should i have talked about this in the speed booster thread instead?

• @SeekingHeartwood

You seems to be missing proper topic :-)

• just picked up this lens with the nikon speed booster for my gh3 and wow! stunning results, sharp as a tack with smooth bokeh. unbelievable to have what is essentially a 12-25 at 1.2, wasn't sure how much better it was going to be than my lumix 12-35 2.8 but it completely worth it. couple minor issues, i get a very slight vignette at the widest focal length, but fortunately only in stills mode, no vignette in video. also fortunate, i'm not getting any chromatic aberrations in high contrast areas and i was a little worried about that. highly recommend this combo.

• They've actually been in stock for about a week. Herb hit me up with an Amazon link but I didn't trade my Canon mount out for one.

I'm waiting to see some Speedbooster tests wide open through the zoom range before I consider it.

• @_OZ Great advice thanks. Is the Novoflex adapter the best one?

• adapter with aperture control is a simpler affair with Nikon G => M43.

Here are your adapter options for for Canon EF mount => M43

1. No aperture control.
    2. adapter with it's own blades (additional vignetting, etc)
    3. redrock electronic solution (very expensive).

http://noamkroll.com/breakdown-of-eos-to-m43-adapter-types-and-review-on-the-fotodiox/

Nikon G adapter has a simple mechanical control of the lens' built-in iris.

• Seems like everyone is waiting for the Nikon mount - is there any particular advantage or reason to get the Nikon mount (vs Canon mount)?

• rental houses are also starting to advertise it as "in stock", so it is definitely starting to appear.

http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/nikon_standard/Sigma-1835-f18-DC-HSM-for-Nikon

• I got an email on 9/30 from B&H stating the Nikon version was finally in stock.

• Sigma must have messed up with the supply chain of the Nikon mount version. Ive had one on order for months, with no indication of delivery date.

• there's 2 in stock at this moment on amazon

• What's going on with the Nikon version of this lens. Why is it taking this long?

• @dtr camera felt good in my hands today with an 11-16. but a long zoom would need rods and support in my opinion. 11-16 feels like a good stealth lens. add a speedbooster and you can really go wide

• @smsjr : Yes I've seen those. They all require rods which i'm trying to avoid to remain compact and cheap.

• After you inquired about the lens support, I realized that I could use the riser for the Hot Rod PL support as a lens support, so have been doing that. Thanks for initiating the thought. It did concern me.

@Flaaandeers (did I spell that right?)

I had some footage for you and an interesting test re: SLR magic 25/0.95 but botched it. At the end of the day I ended up with only two or three usable clips from the Pocket Camera... they look great, but not really worth an upload.

I'll try to grab some more soon, but there'll likely be more out by then.