Personal View site logo
18-35mm F1.8 Sigma DC zoom lens
  • 335 Replies sorted by
  • @maxr

Yes, I was afraid she was going to chop herself doing that while I was shooting, she should have used a better knife. xD

The lens is sharp, I haven't had a chance to shoot any narrative with it yet but I am just showing footage for people that are interested, as there isn't a lot of SIgma 18-35 motion footage out right now. It is probably the best lens purchase I have ever made since Contax Zeiss back in the day.

I traded my Canon 28, 50, and Sigma 20mm to get this lens for my 2.5K and Pocket Camera, it looks really good on the Pocket Camera as well.

• @MikeLinn nice suspense movie, the Camp Comet one... that girl is so clumsy, disaster waiting to happen :P

That second video's frontal shot of the water and couple shots following got me suspended for 3.63467567 seconds. Though can't say I like the overall edit, or music, or titleLinn, but the lens delivers allright... probably is sharper than the clumsy girl knifes, je je. Thanks for sharing Mike

• Looking forward to tips for how to manage this. I have no experience with heavy lenses and supports.
    What in the case of handheld work? Always hold the lens with one hand?

• So, like many others I am waiting for the Nikon version of this lens to be shipped to me. But in the meantime I have had some projects that the lens was perfect for, so I went ahead and rented the Canon version along with a Kipon adapter to attach to my GH2.

The lens is definitely too heavy for the GH2 in this combo. It needs a lens support. I actually made it through a shoot without one, but probably wasn't a good idea. When I got back and tested some more with a follow focus, I realized how much the lens and mount was moving. Not good. So, I may now just wait until I get the Nikon version and figure out how to make it work with my Novoflex G adapter and Metabones Speed Booster.

Hpefully I didn't damage the GH2 mount in the process. Now have to run some tests to make sure nothing got out of whack, but wanted to warn others of this combo so they can be prepared for the weight.

• oly_samp9.jpg
    648 x 431 - 59K
    oly_samp10.jpg
    647 x 432 - 95K
  • The 18-35mm delivers such extraordinary results in studio testing that it barely seems believable. However in real-world shooting it is genuinely capable of delivering wonderfully detailed images when shot wide open, at least when it's properly focused.

We've used two copies of the Canon mount version of the lens, and found autofocus to be rather hit-and-miss with both under less-than-ideal conditions (for example with low contrast subjects). Part of the problem here is that the kind of relatively small focus errors sufficient to take the edge off the image sharpness at F1.8 are essentially invisible in the optical viewfinders of SLRs, so it's difficult to spot focus errors while you're shooting. Setting up full AF microadjustment using Sigma's USB dock and Optimization Pro software certainly helps with overall focus accuracy, but doesn't eliminate shot-to-shot inconsistency.

It is not the issue with cameras with contrast AF :-)

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma-18-35-1-8

sens9.jpg
    800 x 562 - 118K
    sens8.jpg
    800 x 530 - 119K
  • .-. Finally got my Sigma 18-35 EF mount. So far, on 2.5K Blackmagic, it's amazing. Every focal length I want for the camera primarily in one fast, sharp piece of glass. Will still get a 50, and I kept my 85/1.8 Canon, along with the 12/1.6 SLR and 25/0.95 SLR (for anything hyperFast).

I also got to test the GL Optics PL rehouse of this lens on Pocket Camera and it's equally sick. It'll feel right at home with a VIewfactor'd out Pocket Cam. Really looking forward to it.

sigma_flare.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • All these videos of review nerds ejaculating over it start to get a little boring ;)

You always have your own right hand :-)

• All these videos of review nerds ejaculating all over it start to get a little boring ;)

• B&H has shifted the expected delivery date from August 22nd to September 25th.

• Just a head's up for those (myself included) waiting for the Sigma nikon mount - B&H has shifted the expected delivery date from August 22nd to September 25th.

• And Blunty has posted a fresh review of the Sigma 18-35, on the Canon 70D. He really likes this lens.

• " New Item, Available for pre-order Expected availability: August 22 2013"

No wonder no one has tested it on the nikon-mft speed booster yet!

• I don't want to wait to get this lens, but I also don't want to wait on a mount conversion from Sigma... I wonder what the hold up is on the Nikon mount?

• I went to local camera store and they told me Sigma hasn't any Nikon version of this lens yet, is that true? Also is there any particular reason Sigma don't wanna make a m43 version of the lens. You will think they should seeing now that they have BMCC MFT, and BMPCC and all the various m43 cameras.

• Grrr... still waiting for someone to try this lens out with the Metabones Speed Booster on M43. Sounds delicious but too pricey for me to take a gamble and buy both right now.

• Is there the possibility to add this lenses directly to a GH3? or do I have to use a ring adapter and lose the autofocus?

As far as I know they do not plan to make m43 version. So best idea is to get Nikon version + Nikon G to m43 adapter, plus later get Nikon G to m43 lens turbo.

• Is there the possibility to add this lenses directly to a GH3? or do I have to use a ring adapter and lose the autofocus?