Personal View site logo
First feature film: BMCC or the GH3?
  • 65 Replies sorted by
  • I find me quoting Robert Rodriguez often. "Every film maker has 20 bad movies in them. Best thing you can do is get them out of you." (Or something like that.)

Every week I see people spend big money on average or terrible films. They truly think its their tools. Find a story. Plan it out. Actors. Sets. Angles. Props. Basic sound. Shoot it. Cut it. Mix it. Publish it. Do it again. Trust me. Once you've done that about five times, you will be shocked how much your product has improved, with no difference in gear. You will soon find people more talented and experienced than you in certain specialties, doing whatever they can to help you, and often bringing their own better gear than you can afford.

Plan. Shoot. Edit. Mix. Distribute.

Every project I've ever worked on (40 years) I've had regrets and limitations. They are my best teachers. Do something right now with what you have, even if its just a cell phone camera. Because the most important lessons you learn, and skills you will build, are from the many mistakes you will make when working with people. Not planning. Not communicating. Not motivating. Make your human and creative mistakes for free, and spend your first money on pizza for your "crew" that helps you. You will be surprised how they will support you and your vision, even on a cell phone.

Film making is not about gear. It's about vision, communicating that vision, team building, and motivating, motivating, motivating. Make those mistakes now for free, and learn from your human mistakes. Soon you will be shooting with the benefit of others highly focused talents and others money. And that's where the real fun begins.

• Yeah, I'll have to agree in the end with putting it back into production. Lighting, food and GOOD sound!!!!!! Get a good sound guy!!!!! :)

• Thanks everyone for there input

• If you already have a good set of glass that covers the requisite focal range, and a GH3, I would advise you to invest your money in art direction. Alot of people think cinematography is most important in film production (evident in these online forums) but I beg to differ.

The most crucial elements that will make or break your film are story (script) and direction (including art direction). How many times have we seen films that boast of nice lighting and angles but cant tell us anything? And how many times have we cringed at films in which the props look like they already exist on location, and have been hijacked for convenience?

So many things to pay for, so many priorities, only a fool would think filmmaking is child's play (and there are people who think like that).

• I made the investment in a BMCC, after having shot exclusively with the GH2 for a few years. I'm pleased I did, but this is the minimum I found necessary:

• Cage for BMCC for mounting stuff
    • Rails for matte box
    • Matte box
    • External battery (I use Switronix)
    • SDI to HDMI converter
    • HDMI monitor (I already had Zacuto EVF)
    • Bigger tripod (for all weight of extra stuff)
    • 2 x SanDisk 480 GB SSD
    • SSD adapter
    • Bigger Mac system for editing raw

If you don't intend to buy all this, then just use GH3, and invest in stuff that will improve quality of the movie, such as set design, better costumes, great makeup, and most of all, LIGHTING.

• seriously the tool is the last thing to worry about when you want to shoot a good story. scoot location (ie gasoline) find great comedian and make them happy (food+$ when possible) bring them on shoot location (gasoline+food) and don't rush on set (time - yours and others - is the most expensive tool). if for a specific shot you need huge DR you can rent a cam a day or two for it. but with that budget happy people (comedians and tech crew : sound and lights) are the most valuable "tools". A quarter of the budget in a cam is not wise for me. All that, considering you have a good story in the 1st place. ;)

• why don't you rent one. Will be around 50 Euro/day and most of them charge only 4 days/week. Of course, depends on how long production you have.

• @azza_act.

The only things I bought (had to buy) to switch from GH2 to a BMCC MFT were:

Tokina 11-16 - My widest MFT (or adaptable) lens was the Panny 14mm ($469)
    Atomos HD-SDI -> HDMI converter ($300)
    A few cables ($200)

The other thing I bought (but didn't have to) was a Viewfactor cage and top handle

In the past, I had tried to buy only fully manual lenses, and I already have a V-Mount Battery solution. I can see how it could total $3K if you need to lens up, especially if your wanting the IS.

There are a few things I want/need to make my life easier, I would suggest hire/borrow one for a few days and see what you need as you bolt it to your existing rig/s.

• I'll be in dissonance here, but in your place I'll choose to use tools you know good already. Get more skill shooting with rigs, steadicams in similar to your film set restrictions instead. And focus on more important stuff.

Yep, you'll have less DR, and some restrictions in grading, but it is not super important really.

• And maybe a 35mm Samyang that is a goto kind of headshot lens for me well a mix between that and a 25

• Add the 12mm sir magic and some forms of long lens like a 85mm Samyang or a long legacy lens and you have an amazing bmcc/gh3 set up. Rolling shutter is only as bad as you let it be... No worse then a dslr in fact I find it less then a 7d. You will not regret your decision and if you going pro res route Kingston and or San disk ssds in 120gb and 240gb are silly cheap for the price to data ratio

• @azza_act

I wouldn't go beyond 17.5 handheld.

• And what are you doing about power?

• @vicharris hi, I have noktor 17.5mm, 25mm and canon FD 50mm. Would these be fine for handheld? I just heard that there's heaps of rolling shutter with the bmcc.

• Why would the BMCC cost you $6500? Do you have any MFT glass? This camera is really easy to shoot handheld with a rig IMO. You just have to follow the normal rules of a film camera.

If you're asking if it's worth the money, all I have to say is wait till you get in post. Then the money slips away. Period.

I think it cost me $3000 to go from my GH2 cameras to my BMCC but I went with the mft version. You can shoot all prores and still be light years ahead of the GH cameras.