Personal View site logo
STORYBOARDS and STORYBOARDS 3D
  • 19 Replies sorted by
  • Is this the closest app available for us Android users: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.PowerProduction.StoryBoardQuickDirect&hl=de ? I can't find anything better. :(

• There sadly is nothing better. That's why I'm using iPad for pretty much all creative planning now. My Nexus 7 is a now a sad piece of plastic compared to my iPad mini. Because of the missing Apps. But thanks to all you nerds for talking me into getting a Nexus! :P

Well: I can't recommend Paper App for iPad too much. It's really great for Sketches, note taking and of course storyboarding.

Video here:

• Hm, ok thanks. Yeah, Android is miles behind iOS for apps. Recently I searched for a simple Siemens Star / focus chart app, that simply can show an image without the screen going black after some time. Doesn't exist.

• Guys, I can give you goo idea - get Thinkpad 2. It is Windows tablet, light and with lot of top notch Win apps, many of them free:-)

• Vitaly is a great expert in many things and I admire for his work. Not for his tablet recommendations ;) :P

• I'm using Paper by 53 on my iPad for concept sketches, storyboards, and mapping out ideas... it's awesome. Along with the Bamboo stylus. Wish there was a better one for iPad, but bamboo is the best so far. I need one with a point so i can see where I'm starting the line and erasing fine detail.

• Not for his tablet recommendations ;) :P

LOL.

Thinkpad 2 is really good tablet. And with mentioning drawing it is light years ahead of iPad as it has proper Wacom pen also.

• Those top two have some really poor user reviews but looks like they'll be great once they get it together. I'm on sketchBook on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10, which is great for quick colour and quick illustrations/explanations but still find it hard to be subtle and wait for the app to reveal what I'm drawing half the time rather than me knowing what it's going to be! For the main part am still scanning hand drawings and dropping them into a template that looks more organised. Am sure there's a way of making SketchBook more useful for storyboards by importing a frame template somehow but haven't got time to find it!

• @shian & @Vitaliy_Kiselev : There's a much better Stylus than Bamboo and Ardonit IMO: Pogo Connect. It connects via Bluetooth and does pressure measurement onboard and sends the info via Bluetooth. Really nice "hack" to get around lack of pressure on iPad screen. Wacom released their own Pen for iPad with 2048 pressure levels. Kinda like a real Wacom, minus the angle measuring, but didn't get my hand on one yet. Adobe will release Stylus and a Ruler (yes, a ruler) for iOS. Amazing stuff. Haven't tried the drawing on a Windows Tablet, but the iPad solutions are really good now, though it took a while. Even if the Thinkpad Pen is slightly better, it doesn't make up for the lack of Apps on either Win or Android IMO anymore. You got to check out Paper and Procreate. I would get and iPad for these two alone. No kidding: these Apps are that good. :D

Maybe I can help anyone with some App I can recommend. Here are my iOS Apps I use almost daily now:

Paper App -- So much love for this App. Supports the pressure styluses. Procreate -- That App kicks so so much ass, believe me. Unbelievable. Like a Wacom / Photoshop combo on the go with pressure sensitive stylus. Amazing. http://procreate.si Drafts http://agiletortoise.com/drafts/ Clear http://www.realmacsoftware.com/clear/ -- just lovely & fast Things -- for project management VSCOcam -- Yeah, the guys that make the great Lightroom and Aperture filters made a camera app :) And "Totals" for MAc with companion for iOS for my billings.

• Adobe will release Stylus and a Ruler (yes, a ruler) for iOS. Amazing stuff. Haven't tried the drawing on a Windows Tablet, but the iPad solutions are really good now, though it took a while. Even if the Thinkpad Pen is slightly better, it doesn't make up for the lack of Apps on either Win or Android IMO anymore.

Are you ok? Thinkpad use native wacom tech that requires layer behind screen, all this iPad stuff is no match.

Also, Win apps are superior to iPad apps. With many really good free options for almost every area.

• Wow, didn't know that! Sounds great.

• Intuos Creative Stylus for iPad should start shipping next month. I have not been able to find a good, phone controllable, teleprompter app for windows 8 or I would have switched from iPad. There are so few apps for windows 8, compared to IOS. Microsoft will pay you to write native apps.

• There are so few apps for windows 8, compared to IOS.

It is quite strange statement. As is you throw out crap from Apple store it'll be much much smaller.

Microsoft mostly pays for Win RT apps, and much less for Windows 8 touch oriented apps.

I have not been able to find a good, phone controllable, teleprompter app for windows 8

I am sure such thing exist, but they are more rare as people tend to use tablets for and full WIn 8 tablets are more rare. I think you can find something useful for Android, as it makes much more sense to use 3x cheaper tablet with sam screen for teleprompter.

• It is quite strange statement. As is you throw out crap from Apple store it'll be much much smaller.

Yes, but still killer Apps are there. But I'm really suprised about the Wacom pen you have and the added layer to the screen. So you can use plain Photoshop? So kinda like Wacom Cintiq? Then again for the license of Photoshop alone you can get an iPad with a really great IPS screen, Procreate App and the Wacom iPad pen. ;)

• Wacom pen you have and the added layer to the screen. So you can use plain Photoshop? So kinda like Wacom Cintiq? Then again for the license of Photoshop alone you can get an iPad with a really great IPS screen, Procreate App and the Wacom iPad pen. ;)

LOL. Not only ThinkPad tablet has wacom type stylus but some Samsung tablets and few more.

As for your remark, it is just useless, as with iPad you don't get any usable stylus and all apps are no match even for cheap Windows photo editors. I suggest to check Photoshop alternatives topic, you'll find plenty of them. I am not even talking about paint applications. And for the money you save of iPad apps you could get Android tablet with same screen as iPad :-).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev: That's not true at all. I have this Stylus http://www.tenonedesign.com/connect.php Have a look. I also have Wacom on my Mac Pro an I prefer drawing on my iPad, because the Apps are so good. Really have a look at Procreate and Paper App. There's nothing like these two on any other screen. I've even used drawings made with Procreate in actual commercial print products several time now. :D

The iPad Display is quite good and what good is a better Display when the Apps just suck? That's what Computers are about: the software. :D

I can only recommend to try Procreate out. Best drawing App on a tablet I've ever, ever used. :D

• That's not true at all. I have this Stylus http://www.tenonedesign.com/connect.php Have a look.

OK. Description is very vague and full of marketing. It seems to be just capacitive pen (with different endings) paired with pressure sensitivity bluetooth transmitter.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev: Exactly. Right. The iPad has a capacitive screen, as you know. So the trick is to send the pressure info via BlueTooth 4.0 to the iPad. This works really well. So "just" is not the right word, I think.

Like I said: I use it almost daily. And that coupled with Procreate and Paper beats my Wacom on Photoshop for me. :D

I'll have a look at those Tablets you mentioned. Always keen to get to know new stuff and improve workflow. Although the App landscape, lower quality hardware, Security, Hardware and Software issues are a real turn off on Android for me. And Windows ... well, RT is already dead. And the "real" Windows 8 tabets are a lame imo, because they ruined Metro and had to have the Windows Desktop on them. Using Photoshop in Desktop mode on a tablet is inferior to things like Procreate on iPad. That I tried.

Thanks for your tips though. You are - as always - very resourceful. :) :)

• Capacitive stylus is inferiour by default due to accuracy of tablet hardware.

Although the App landscape, lower quality hardware, Security, Hardware and Software issues are a real turn off on Android for me.

So, you perfectly know all Android software (market that is more active now than iOS) ?

I really do not know anything about "security", but hardware of good Android tablets are superior to iPad (and if you like iPad screen you can perfectly get one with Android tablet also). Apple does not play truly compatitive game for a while. I even not mention that they are much cheaper.

And the "real" Windows 8 tabets are a lame imo, because they ruined Metro and had to have the Windows Desktop on them. Using Photoshop in Desktop mode on a tablet is inferior to things like Procreate on iPad. That I tried.

OK, now tablets are bad because of desktop, and it is just bullshit. As for Photoshop. if you are up to painting and similar apps, use them not Photoshop. You can try Sketchbook Pro or many other apps.

Understand me right. I an sure that you found very good software/hardware combo for your task. but it does not mean that we need to make general conclusions out fo it.