Personal View site logo
Lens tests on the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC)
  • 232 Replies sorted by
  • What about "legacy" Four Thirds lenses? I think the Olympus 12-60 and 14-54 sound like a good alround deals for the BMPCC. The 11-22 would also give a nice wide angle solution. And they're getting pretty cheap these days. Or are there errors with the FT to mFT adapters to be expected?

• I'd like to see some tests with the new Rokinon/Samyang 16mm T2.2 MTF cine lens.

• @nomad

Just how bad and noticeable is the barrel distortion on the lumix 20 (current version? older one?)? Glaring? Subtle?

• But if you crop out those corners you loose resolution, which is not plenty with that number of photocells anyway. Actually, I didn't count in any lenses that show dark corners. I was looking for a cheap zoom that's wider than 17 to 90 or the like, and without any serious flaws. Such a zoom seems impossible to find, you pay premium for wide cine zooms that truly cover S-16. For the price they ask for these, I'd rather buy the Panny 12-35mm with a stabilizer, which is useful on the GH2 too (I'm going to keep mine).

• Did the EOSHD Lens compatibility test by Julian with my modified Rainbow 11.5-69mm f1.4.
    Here are the results! Looks plenty usable to me

Rainbow S6 Lens 01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 422K
    Rainbow S6 Lens 02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 337K
  • Did anyone test the Lumix 14-42 X PZ version on the BMPCC?

• Sorry, I need to correct myself. The Computar does NOT fully cover. Obviously my cropping on the GH2 was wrong or the combination behaves slightly different. I tested it on a real BMPCC now, and strangely it vignettes a tad at medium lengths, not at the wide end or tele. Really weird lens, with it's near zero distortion and massive pincushion at tele.

Just to make things clear: all my other tests were performed on the review camera, only the Computar arrived too late.

• If the 12.5-75mm can cover S16 sensor, I wonder if the Rainbow 11.5-69mm f1.4 can also....

• @nomad it would by the way be very nice if in the long run there would be a special M4/3 to M4/3 speedbooster version produced especially for the BMPCC..... but I am afraid that that one will be never see the light, theoretically it should be approximately possible considering the sensor size difference between normal M4/3 and the BMPCC... it would allow to use all GH2/GH3 fitting lenses including those via cheap adapters to be used as wider lenses on the BMPCC, correcting the sensor size difference this way.

• @nomad Yes, the speedbooster seems to be great but that one will only crop from a lens which covers a larger sensor area and does not allow 16mm glass to be used on super 16 format. I know that other type teleconverters will always remain a compromise.... still the end result could theoretically maybe be useful, but for now you are right it does not seem to be good enough......

• I gave up on converters (other than the SpeedBooster, which is great), but I never tested on the BMPCC.

• @nomad thanks, that is a pity, did you exclusively test it on M4/3 or also only on its center area (which will be the use with the 1" BMPCC sensor, it actually seems to have been designed for maximally 1" coverage) I ordered a few from Ebay to test them, maybe some problems can be solved but I doubt that now..... any experience with other maybe better converters?

• I haven't tested it (the HE20) with any Angenieux, but whatever I used it on the quality was not HD any more. Very soft edges, CA, strange bokeh.

IOW: crap!

• @nomad do you have any experience with the Fujinon HE20-1 2x teleconverter or with its smaller brother the HE15-1 or with other converters meant/built for 1" coverage? it should theoretically be able to convert any 2/3" lens to 1" coverage for the BMPCC, Balazer helped me already in testing it with a lens... http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1925/c-mount-lenses-for-m43/p5 but I am looking for further/more experiences with it because it could be a proper solution for my Angenieux 16mm glass, which does not cover 1" (I use Nikon 1 to test the coverage until I will receive my (pre)order)......

• Yep, 55mm – very nice, BTW, since most of Minolta Rokkors and Zeiss C/Y have the same thread.

• nomad , yup that is the same lens that I own (Computar 12.5 to 75 1:1.2), I have found it kinda surprising myself how it seems to look best at the widest end. Anyway, I think for its performance ratio of price / f-stop / zoom range, it is quite unbeatable value!

btw, does anybody know what millimeter sized lens cap should fit with the Computar 12.5 to 75 1:1.2? As I got mine with it missing.

• Does anyone with a BMPCC have a Super 16 PL mount ultraprime t1.3 etc?... That to me would be IDEAL granted the lenses can cost more than car...

• +1 on the Samyang 14mm. Leave it at the door :)

• Found an interesting zoom: the Computar 12.5 to 75 1:1.2. It's a TV zoom and you wouldn't expect it to cover S-16, but it does. It's soft WO, but stopped down get's pretty sharp. Will retain some CA in the corners though. Stepless aperture, smooth focus and zoom ring, should be parfocal when shimmed correctly.

Unfortunately, it's not the perfect zoom for the BMPCC, but it's still cheap around 100,- €. Strange thing is it has low distortion at 12.5 but distorts massively (pincushion) at longer values.

• @kurt10 I found the Samyang 14mm disappointing on the GH2, a lot of distortion, breathing and weak corners. Sent it back and so didn't test it on the BMPCC. Plus, it's pretty slow compared to lenses made for smaller image circles.

• I have the 14mm + DMW-GWC1 that I will try as soon as my camera arrives. I preordered on April 8 from B&H but nothing yet.

• Can someone tryout the 14-140mm?

• and the Samyang 14mm 3.1 VDSLR??

• @IronFilm Anybody tried this: Panny 14mm + the DMW-GWC1?