Personal View site logo
Corrupted files
  • Hi all! I know the problem below is somewhat common when it comes to the hacked GH2:s but from what I can tell by reading through a LOT of the topics regarding these issues; my problem might be more rare.

So, I wrapped a day of shooting in the studio with a band. During the day there was an unexpected power off in the camera, and after putting in a fresh battery I could only view about 25% of the clips in playback shot during the day. I did not panic, since this had happened before without any data actually being lost when copying over to the editing computer; even after continuing the shoot post-power off.

So I did, I continued the shoot. And when I got back to the office to backup the material, the files where back. So far so good.

BUT, after copying over about 40% of the material I was greeted by a prompt asking me to format the card since it couldn´t be read. The file system is "unrecognizable" after this point and I´m not even able to open the card to view the files; even though I obviously managed to get 40% of the material prior to this and those files were unscathed.

I´m not able to run the AVCCAMRecovery from Panasonic since the card is not considered a "card", it has no file system. The card is 64Gb 95Mb/s SDXC, the camera as mentioned before: hacked GH2.

So I guess my first question is this: Is there any way to save the rest of the material without formatting or do I need to format the card and hope some good recovery software can save some fragments?

Secondly, why did it happen? The adapter I use between my card and the computer has a nasty tendency to break the link during the copy-process, maybe this has something to do with it?

Thirdly: I´d understad if the file I was recording just prior to the power off would be unreadable, but 60% of ALL material?! This includes video captured BEFORE the actual power off too.

Hope you guys can help! I´m actually in need of quick answers since we're going to keep shooting today, thankful for any reflections!

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • @Kathaugnir

I call it breaking all possible rules dealing with cards.

I mean here "So I did, I continued the shoot", "BUT, after copying over about 40% of the material I was greeted by a prompt asking me to format the card since it couldn´t be read.", "The adapter I use between my card and the computer has a nasty tendency to break the link during the copy-process".

In case of any, even possible issue, put card in holder and use appropriate software to read contents. Never use this card again.

As for your issue - check topics about software used to restore SD cards,

• Thank you Vitality_Kiselev for your frankness!

I´ll check into the info provided.

• Update: What worked for me in the end was to format the card and run Panasonics AVCCAMRecovery. It dug up a lot of shit from previous gigs including the lost footage. From what I can tell at this point; it seems I have lost little or no footage.

Lesson learned today: Take some time pumping the internet for info on proper card-handling. Thanks again Vitality_Kiselev for your time!

• If you don't want to lose files in the future, another good idea is to use only original Panasonic batteries (never 3rd party). Check our topics about that too....

• @Kathaugnir Welcome aboard and good luck with the shoot! (Why not use an A/C adapter if you're using sticks?)