Personal View site logo
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I just got an email from Grant Petty stating that the BMCC (EF and MFT) price has changed to $1995 from today.

Maybe the topic title could be changed!!

Snippet from Email:

Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

We have worked very hard over the last year to be able to build the Blackmagic Cinema Camera at a lower cost so we can reduce the price and allow access to digital filming to a wide range of cinematographers and photographers.

We have done it and from today the Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF and MFT models will be reduced in price to US$1,995. This is very exciting and is one of the proudest moments of my life to be able to do this!

I think people will be able to use the savings to invest in some exciting lenses and rigs to really boost the creative possibilities. The Blackmagic Cinema Camera is a fantastic design that's now well proven. The advantage of the 2.5K sensor is it has enough resolution to eliminate the bayer resolution loss of a HD sensor, but when shooting RAW it produces files that are too not to big to store and work with easily. It's a fantastic solution.

All orders placed that have not yet been filled, can be reduced to the new lower price.

• Wetpixel member Peter Mooney showing off the new Nauticam housing for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in Sydney.

http://goo.gl/MV7z4M

• Having fun with my BMCC MFT camera. Using the Voigtlander f0.95 25mm lens.

• Seriously good this

• @collierlandry Here's a quick test with my BMCC MFT and Speed Booster with a variety of Nikon lenses.

• There is some BMCC MFT Nikon Speed Booster footage in the Nikon G Speed Booster thread.

• @collierlandry I haven't heard of anyone here with one. I know Kholi has had a MFT version for a bit now but he doesn't have an adapter.

• @CFreak mine is arriving tomorrow morning here in LA. Very exciting! Anyone have a MetaBones Speed Booster they have tried out on the BMCC yet?

• Just got an email notification from B&H: THE BMCC MFT is in stock! Wow, now the soccer moms who were hoping to get a Scarlet, before the price went up, can walk into B&H and come out shooting RAW! But seriously, this is big news that BMD is delivering in quantity!

Screen Shot 2013-07-09 at 2.40.00 PM.png
    724 x 1069 - 244K
  • @MRfanny Yep, it does indeed. One of my more expensive lens caps at $49 -- although it's only $39 at B&H for the next week.

• it appears that your olympus lens cap has a hole in it =)

• OK, it will probably make most of you BMCC lovers cringe, but this morning I tried out my brand new BMCC MFT with probably the worst MFT lens I have -- the Olympus 15mm f8 lens cap.

Here's the result. Definitely some issues with this lens. :-)

• And i thought that tiger was CG.

• Well damn, the BMCC looks pretty damn good to me for $3000! I mean come on now. 99.9% of the people out there would never know the difference. With the cost of SSD's and storage dropping faster than Tara Reids career did, this is just getting better all the time. I'd like to really know the difference in work flow time Raw really takes. I've been in a few national commercials now that film with REDS and hearing about more here in LA. I'm wondering how much PITA it really is for post. Not that I have any knowledge at all. Seems like the BMPCC and it's ProRes might be great for commercial work when you don't have low light concerns. That is as long as you can get the same pleasing image from the sensor.

• @soundgh2

I'll cut down the convo to "fuck off" " no" "I'm off" and in monetary terms - "won't happen yet in commercial TV due to inherent costs". RAW, aside from Red's incursion (hated by post and budgets!) Post don't want or need RAW .Bushes are gonna be sharp as fook, but Take That's wrinkles aren't. Sorry to be cynical - I know fook all aside from my missus's ramblings nightly (she owns a post house) - My Chums were out drinking the same tequila as me tonight - they directed the Olympics and Oscars, Superbowl and Victoria's Secrets this year (again) and after 3 half's of cider they're not convinced either. The production manager is pre hating the influx of RAW as no budget extension will come

Ok, well... there are definitely more production friendly cameras than the Blackmagic for those situations then. It seems to me the Blackmagic cams will suit smaller, more-adaptable, production teams that are capable of designing their own workflow and post-production practices. Just don't get upset when teams that have adapted, and work well with RAW, are getting all the work/project offers... as it does offer allot more creative flexibility when you have the means to work with it.

• BMDCC beside Alexa.

I was very suprised at the first sight, at a second look Alex looks more crisp an clear

see also making of:

• @Brian202020

Let us know how it will work.

• Look what was at my house waiting for me when I got home.

IMG_2197.jpg
    850 x 638 - 108K
  • That conversation lead onto the "RAW" debate with the head of MCR tech at this company - I'll cut down the convo to "fuck off" " no" "I'm off" and in monetary terms - "won't happen yet in commercial TV due to inherent costs". RAW, aside from Red's incursion (hated by post and budgets!) Post don't want or need RAW .Bushes are gonna be sharp as fook, but Take That's wrinkles aren't. Sorry to be cynical - I know fook all aside from my missus's ramblings nightly (she owns a post house) - My Chums were out drinking the same tequila as me tonight - they directed the Olympics and Oscars, Superbowl and Victoria's Secrets this year (again) and after 3 half's of cider they're not convinced either. The production manager is pre hating the influx of RAW as no budget extension will come - sadly tech has overtaken requirements and the prod manager making the progs don't give a flying fook - budget is budget - there's no persuasion! Funnily as above the F55 came up twice in budget meetings today go figure!

• I'm tiddly as always after an 18 hour day of heavily funded "real OBdoc TV" Believe me after the camera man (DOP ahem) and F55 choice heralded a massive 5 hour argument we had with the "DOP" but nothing matters - trust me just get a story? - shoot the fooker in the budget. Even faced with the 50k overhead of polishing the turd of no sound and teens shooting it (which it will be!) the "camera (boy) sorry DOP " still got his way shooting home video stylee lol - hell I don't care (I do!) I charge by the hour, but I was genuinely asking WTF in a pre prod meeting - something I've never even joked about before - it seems we are entering an age of breakthrough directors (lovely) insisting on their (slightly less than) breakthrough mates DOPing lol- hey if you love post and having coffee with us and spunking money - many thanks! It's great we can capture rapidly and at great resolution, but the basic principles of shooting with separate capture devices (a la fim!) hasn't changed - however seems now no-one can be arsed to roll, call,clap, mark and make - it takes 10 bloody seconds! Feel free to pump money into post and many thanks! x I still expect the production managers email asking why it cost so much in a few months after all this - welcome to making stuff!

• Just got a call from Markertek, and my BMCC MFT is shipping out today. I'm in no hurry so I took the free shipping route. It'll probably arrive late this week early next week.

• @Brian202020 Woohoo! Can't wait to start shooting with the BMCC MFT.

• Blackmagic announced the BMCC MFT is shipping as of today and people should start receiving them next week.

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7714&start=330#p55930

• @kholi if you have time, can you shoot a quick vid to compare the Voigtlander (17.5 or 25mm) look to the Zeiss (ZE or ZF) look on close-up skin tones with the BMCC MFT? I think you said you were planning to compare SLR Magic with Voigt at some point. Maybe you can throw your Zeiss in the mix too. Thanks

I'm trying to decide if I should budget for a Zeiss lens.