Personal View site logo
Distractors and PRISM
  • I won't even be providing here all the links concerning PRISM. As they are not required.

What we are looking at, exactly? We are looking at special operation with made up leaks and with main media giants making leaks into full blown shit.

Usually main target of such operation is to drive attention from something more important.

Plus, of course, prove once again how good are large internetional coporations and how deeply they care about privacy.

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • More fun

According to the Guardian, Snowden is a 29-year-old high-school dropout who trained for the Army Special Forces before an injury forced him to leave the military. His IT credentials are apparently limited to a few “computer” classes he took at a community college in order to get his high-school equivalency degree—courses that he did not complete. His first job at the NSA was as a security guard. Then, amazingly, he moved up the ranks of the United States’ national security infrastructure: The CIA gave him a job in IT security. He was given diplomatic cover in Geneva. He was hired by Booz Allen Hamilton, the government contractor, which paid him $200,000 a year to work on the NSA’s computer systems

He tells the Guardian, the NSA let him see “everything.” He was accorded the NSA’s top security clearance, which allowed him to see and to download the agency’s most sensitive documents. But he didn’t just know about the NSA’s surveillance systems—he says he had the ability to use them.

Via: http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/06/09/edward_snowden_why_did_the_nsa_whistleblower_have_access_to_prism_and_other.html

• As compartmentalized and professional that these government agencies like to promote themselves, the fact is that his story sounds believable. Things are pretty lax with regards to protocols I think. Employees at these orgs would have to actively abide by the rules in order to avoid acquiring informations that they are not privy to. Yes there are some true patriot types that will abide by policies to a tee, but I'm sure this guy had access to whatever it is that he released. Anyway E.news sites like the register mentioned NSA operations numerous times over the past 15 years or so.. also these huge buildings were being built in utah, etc.. They practically told us that they would spy on domestic internet

• @robertGL

I really do not see your point. Thing is this story is promoted by papers owned by same guys who play and talk and meet with NSA top guys each day :-) Guy who leaked all this no way could have access to information. This guy even did not have skill for the last job title he had.

All we have here is controlled leak with some clear target.

• Well just to indulge the official story of that writeup- he could well be a computer nerd that didn't fit in at school.. the fact is that he got into the military special forces which is an indication of intelligence to me.. Government agencies seem to be very work-friendly towards veterans as well, which might explain his promotions.. Also I'm a big fan of Glenn Greenwald, who broke the story - he really does say stuff that probably annoys the hell out of washington politicians and their fanboys.. I don't think he's playing patsy for anybody

just sayin'

• @robertGL

It is very interesting how many people in US believe in fairy tales :-)

• Data mining is like searching for a needle in a haystack. There are 900 million credit cards in circulation in the United States. According to the FTC September 2003 Identity Theft Survey Report, about 1% (10 million) cards are stolen and fraudulently used each year. Terrorism is different. There are trillions of connections between people and events -- things that the data mining system will have to "look at" -- and very few plots. This rarity makes even accurate identification systems useless.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/03/data_mining_for.html

Bruce Schneier is an internationally renowned security technologist and author.

• Many leaks are fake. And always have been, going back to ancient times. Confidantes during WWII were leaked true information which didn't matter but earned their trust; followed by false info which seemed important and which they then passed on to their own secret contact, possibly exposing their whole network. Ancient Egyptian Pharaohs used food tasters, spies and fake leaks. There's nothing new under the sun.

If you organise the leaking of your own information, you get to control the way it gets leaked, You can make foreign spies look like they weren't paying attention, so you don't lose face.

What @Vitaliy_Kiselev is really saying is we've all got to view media - and the press releases they pass on to us - with a healthy scepticism.

• Why would the nsa spin that kind of story, if they did control that leak? I mean, that must be some great master plan if they can gain something from the fact that they are secretly spying their entire country and the rest of the world. Still, I find it totally unlikely that some guy can just decide to give away all the big secrets to the public.

• Did you see Snowden's Q&A the other day? The substance of his answers and his clear writing style indicates that he is the real thing. There a lot of brilliant people who dropped out of school and he's one of them. Conspiracy by the media? Ludicrous. Neither they nor the government are competent to pull that off. That is the stuff of bad Hollywood films, the kind that I do not intend to make. The most probable reading by a large margin is that Snowden is exactly what he says he is and that what he reports is correct.

• @inqb8tr

Why would the nsa spin that kind of story

Well, personally, I'm not saying they did. But I can think of plenty of strategic reasons. If it were more convenient, looked better, say, than the info being released first by an ex-contractor rather than by somebody else who was about to cause a worse scandal or diplomatic furore - whatever it is, the NSA would rather decide. It's sort of like resigning from a job when you find out you're about to get fired anyway.

We ordinary folk only get to find out 30 years later.

• There also is the David Chase Taylor case, there is a little disbalance in media attention compared to the Snowden story.

http://truthernews.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/nuclear-terror-whistleblower-david-chase-taylor-in-swiss-court-june-25-2013/