Personal View site logo
Disassemble GH2 - how to?
  • I'm fed up of the 2.5mm mic jack falling out of the camera and have decided to open up the camera and solder in some wire and a proper connector. Any tips on how to take apart the camera and get to the remote / mic jack on the left side of the camera?

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • Does anyone know if the GH2 uses ribbon cables that are available elsewhere or are they proprietary? Could be cool to rehouse a GH2 in an old video camera body <;O)

• @willieturnip I guess propietary. Good luck in achieving the correct flange focal distance :-)

But more realistic: As we can disassemble the GH2, maybe the time has come to do a hardware hack? Assuming that a newer/faster versions of the IC digitizing sensor data are pin-compatible...

• You'll need the service manual. Panoramic ribbon cables seem only available from Panasonic.

• Excellent, just what i was looking for. Just have to figure out how to get to jack and where it attaches to circuit board. Not really keen to take entire camera apart but the jack is towards the front of the camera so this may be a deal breaker.

• @Walker - I have seen that post but I'm looking for a low tech solution, I just want to have a wire coming out that will have a nice pro connector on the end that is attached to the mic jack internally somehow. Think it should work as long as wire is not too long and shielded. XLR female on the end, ok heavy but I could then have a little patch cable going from XLE male to female mini jack but I could then at least gaffer tape this connection tight so it won't fall out like it did the other day. Jesus, why couldn't they just of put a female mini jack with a screw connector on there!

• Have you tried using one of those 90 degree 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapater plugs? You could probably then use some gaffers tape and secure that adapter plug in place. Not the prettiest look I guess, but maybe safer and easier than disassembling the cam. Good luck.

• Ok I got it now, sorry! A mount on the top is better - hotshoe is around there! How do I discharge the flash!

• @matt_gh2 YES, they just add weight to the cable, and if you try to rotate the screen to show the talent what they look like - low tech admittedly, the cable / plugs obscures the screen! Just did that and was cursing the GH2 in front of the client.

• @AfricaGH2

How do I discharge the flash!

Panasonic specify a resistor ERG5SJ102 saying an equivalent resistor can be used.

• @AfricaGH2

why couldn't they just of put a female mini jack with a screw connector on there!

The biggest statistical cause of camera fatal damage, falling to the floor, is often caused by cables & jacks; or an operator walking away from the camera with headphones on, or someone tripping over a mic cable.

Sockets themselves do provide a safety link. I always add a separate, short, extra break-away cable somewhere, attaching the various cables, cameras, tripods etc where needed to strong things with shoe-laces. Your camera's fiddly socket may one day save the whole camera - or, at worst, break the socket itself.

There are XLR Baluns made, often fitted between camera and rig (search these forums).

But honestly, most GH.x users never use that socket. You could sell your dodgy-socket GH2 to a satisfied buyer and buy another with a good socket.

I have to admit to getting one of the very first, collector-edition Sony Walkmans in perfectly good nick and drilling a mic socket into it. That unit has only sentimental value now. :-(

• The 90 degree 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapater plugs have been very reliable for me, why not use that and secure it to the body with hot glue to stop any possible movement.

• Ok so I took the top mic thing off and there is no connection from there to the mini jack on the side - perhaps I was mis reading the link provide here. @Rambo glue sounds good and I do have a right angle mini jack so that might be the best idea. There is quite a gap 3mm + between the camera and the right angle connector but I guess globs of hot glue would work?

• @AfricaGH2

The top mic and mic input are probably not simply electrically switched via the female socket, but rather via logical (NAND) pulse circuitry within the IC. If you feel confident reading circuit diagrams, I can send you better detail, perhaps.

Otherwise, It's your GH2 to put Glue on. @Rambo 's idea is practical. Personally, I'd like to preserve the original hole where the socket now is and send a knotted (or grommet-restrained) flying lead from the mic socket connection on the IC through to a female socket on the outside. That way, it's reversible/repairable with a new original PCB socket.

• How to Discharge the E. Capacitor on Flash P.C.B. CAUTION: 1. Be sure to discharge the E. Capacitor on FLASH P.C.B.. 2. Be careful of the high voltage circuit on FLASH P.C.B. when servicing. [Discharging Procedure] 1. Refer to the disassemble procedure and remove the necessary parts/unit. 2. Put the insulation tube onto the lead part of Resistor (ERG5SJ102:1kΩ /5W). (An equivalent type of resistor may be used.) 3. Put the resistor between both terminals of E. Capacitor on FLASH P.C.B. for approx. 5 seconds. 4. After discharging confirm that the E. Capacitor voltage is lower than 10V using a voltmeter.

disch_GH2.png
    1962 x 828 - 27K
  • Mic PCB Removal image

RemovalMicPCB.png
    1008 x 2685 - 93K