Personal View site logo
Minolta Rokkor Survival guide
  • 63 Replies sorted by
  • @Flaaandeeers

The 58 's do vary from lens to lens I had one similar to that and my current early copy is sharp from 1.2

• Thanks @nomand and @soundgh2, but I think I must have a very shitty copy, because the problem in certain situations is truly terrible. Very sharp actually! Even at f1.2, but with a terrible glow around the borders that make it unusable below 2.8-4.-
    And the adapter seems to work great with my other MD/MC lenses.
    I've uploaded an example just to illustrate my problem.

58.jpg
    1984 x 1134 - 212K
  • @Flaaandeeers

ooh that looks nasty @1.2 somethings not quite right there methinks.

• The lens does not have any visible fungus or haze, but yes, something is not right :(

• My 58 @ 1.2 looks like urs at 2.8, something is def. wrong with urs. From 2.0 on the glow is gone, extremely sharp at 2.8

• Those photo samples you posted @Flaaandeeers seems that the 1.2 sample is not focused and like the camera moved. I am not sure what to conclude. The background has lots of light and the entire shot needs something on focus to judge... Al

• Actually @aljimenez, I did not change focus when closing down the aperture ring, so I can confirm it's not a focus problem. f1.2 sample may be a bit overexposed, but in the original file I can see the sharp edges of the object in focus under the nasty glow. I'm still trying to figure out the issue...

• @Flaaandeeers You might have lens separation in one of the doublets. This is where the glue between the lenses has failed. To test this, find a point light source. (A bare flashlight bulb is what I use.) Turn off all other lights, aim at the point light, open the aperture to 1.2 and set focus at it's minimum. Adjust exposure until you can see the detail. This is the before photo from an MC Rokkor 58mm 1.2 that I had to fix. It is very hard to see if there is lens separation from just inspecting the lens.

58-1.2_225.jpg
    800 x 787 - 156K
  • @jazzroy It was called a "Reversible Professional Spanner Wrench Lens Repair Tool Flat & Point Tips New" on the eBay page where I bought it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reversible-Professional-Spanner-Wrench-Lens-Repair-Tool-Flat-Point-Tips-New-/160886274756?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257591bac4

• @fredfred27 Thanks! I couldn't go on guessing for a name like that! :D

• @Flaaandeeers Have you figured out your problem?

• @sakattaq76 I have the Minolta MD Zoom 24-35mm F3.5. Sharpness and color as the 35-70 (which is a tack unsharp at the short end). It is close to parfocal. And the Zoom range is... short. Amazing Lens. I would love to get my hands on a 24-50 though...

• @fredfred27 Thanks for asking! Actually I ended up selling it :(