Personal View site logo
FreeFly MOVi - very expensive handheld stabilized system
  • 113 Replies sorted by
  • Will wait for the Chinese copy of this :-)

• Regular SteadyCams cannot be used in windy conditions like on a moving boat, this thing will be perfect for shooting on a boat.

• 15k for a stabilisation system? Talk of a revolution.

I mean the thing looks great, no learning curve and some cool possible uses. But I'm still under the impression that a steadicam gives you a lot more freedom in terms of camera movement.

• @matthere... you mean the price needs to be more of a "game changer"?

• It would be nice to have one of these.. But the price needs to be more "universal"

• @Rambo

This guys make gymbals and multicopters.

Whole idea of this rig is to be special handheld rig with gymbal like design for work in big copter. As I understand after realising that market for such product is tiny they decided to push it as some universal device.

• Rental will be the way to go.

This is basically the type of system i was asking for in the MultiCopter threads and mounted inside a FigRig for handheld use, hopefully some of the MultiCopter manufacturers will make some cheaper versions for non-airborn use.

• ... are the roller skates included?

• About construction.

It is just three motors (same construction as in good crane heads), small controller and and sensors (accelerometer, and may be gyro).

It can't compensate x,y,z axis movements, so footage must pass via software stabilizer also.

Controlling camera direction is hard thing, and as they reference mostly require expirienced assistant.

• There is special content on Vimeo including "Gorgeous footage shot outdoors (running and driving in forests and cityscapes) with the Panasonic GH3 by Henning Sandstrom." I'm donwloading it, f you people are interested I can extract that GH3 part and upload on Google Drive (if it's not against forum policy ..). Let me know

• Looks ridiculous. Amazing.

But how was this supposed to be affordable? I mean, yes, its great, and will probably replace a lot of the gear you already have or will need. But 15k?!! Hardly affordable when we are shooting with DSLR less than $3,000.00.

• Looks like Vincent found new sponsor :-)

It will be affordable – the initial mid-level (in terms of weight support) MōVI M10 will sell for approx $15K and is already under production. The second, smaller version, the M5 that will be on sale at some point in the near future (once the production capacity is in full swing) will be sold for a price point under $7,500. If you consider how much we spend on handheld rigs, sliders, jibs (let alone Glidecams/Steadicams etc.) – the price of this device quickly becomes a no-brainer

Is he nuts?