Personal View site logo
Digital Bolex raw camera, no longer made
  • 1130 Replies sorted by
  • Oh the lunacy! Only the idiocy of what these guys are doing is ground breaking. Turret cams have been around for quite a bit. People put apertures in their lenses for good reason. The only advantage of the turret cam is quick lens changes.. and that´s about it.

Why on earth would they reinvent the wheel? A simple c-mount would have been perfect for a s16 digital camera and they could have done something useful instead.

• Being a Physicist, by simple empirical analysis - lets see the shit lads?easy as

• @soundgh2

Personally, I´m a bit dissapointed already due to these guys toying around and the Ikonoskop being so detached from reality.. I´d have liked the possibility of a s16 digital for some projects. I shall have to wait longer for that. Maybe, hopefully, someone makes a multi-aspect square/round sensor for m43 soon.

You are right though. Let´s see where this ends up.

• Im all up for backroom tech - I also hate market shyte - we're in an era where it's as transparent as can be hence all the questions rightly - wish the chaps the best but have terrible (for me - hey I'm an old bugger lol) feeling they're dragging it out .... even if it does eventually spawn the market may be way beyond its niche. In the end really camera makes no difference to your story pop out and make it :) Ive watched Nolan at CTV leave unable to use his free sound chap a zillion times and 20 years later sat with the MD of that company watching Inception chuckling at her annoying mate Chris - just get on with it? Sorry to be boringly drab about it but sat listening to 10 Production managers and Post supervisors all night moaning even how shyte they think C300 workflow is lol God help us - its real life folks - they on me sofa for an hour if you quick with questions lol I have enough Cobra to hold em ;p

• RRRR, they will have the c-mount as an option (may actually be the default, if I remember correctly). No need to buy turrets or focusing mechanisms w/proprietary lenses.

• "Lenses" "test"

• Hah I'll pass on those I think....

• Is that real? It seems like a joke to me.

• I'm really trying not to bag on this any more (they're making it difficult), but shot glass-sized lenses don't exactly say, "Professional on set".

• the idea behind this, as far as I understand it:

• cheap to produce construction with very good, sharp glass
    • with the crank on the D16 you are supposed to alter the flange back range, so you can move the focal point to focus
    • With variable ND filters you control exposure ...
  • cheap to produce construction with very good, sharp glass

They are not cheap. Unusable for anything but non existing camera.

with the crank on the D16 you are supposed to alter the flange back range, so you can move the focal point to focus

This thing also do not exist now.

With variable ND filters you control exposure ...

Placing variable ND makes them about T5.6, with small sensor.

• I often read they’re good value but even Panasonic’s electronic lenses are pretty sharp and the cheaper ones with small apertures are about the same price. How can these lenses without moving elements for a smaller sensor be that pricey then?

• @vicharris

Is that real? It seems like a joke to me.

Somehow I don't think the people who put money into this are laughing at the moment.

Personally, I'm waiting for the grand finale of the show...the magical disappearing act.

• Personally, I'm waiting for the grand finale of the show...the magical disappearing act.

No, I think they wait for this year NAB where they'll annouce new 4K, 120fps raw camera with 70mm sensor for $1999.

• @GH2UW

I knew it. They are focused on big things. Important things. 4K for $2K. Delivery - May 2030.

• Oh boy. I feel a ponzi scheme in the midst.

• If they are doing 4k, it's going to be no more than a pt grey flea USB 3 cam. Those do 4k at 21fps...next rev should do 24 and 30 fairly easily...but you could o this now albeit in a less pretty but more functional package. DIY...flea 3 plus intel NUC plus small hd monitor and tekkeon battery pack.

Plus a capture software...streampix 5 would do it for high $ but the sdk might suffice.

• This is a first view on the image coming from a Truesense KAI-04050 ccd image sensor, which is the same as announced to be in the Digital Bolex d16, and "developed" through "my workflow". There was no daylight so i took some slides and moved them in front of the lens (LINOS MeVis-C, 12 mm, f1.8). Only lightsource was a small MicroPro LED with low battery.

• I'm really interested in the real story behind the D16 hype:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cappuccino/beyond-the-bolex-a-documentary-film?ref=live

now, do they just what to squeeze out another $35k from this howl hype?

• @Alex

LOL.

This guys are sick.

Film will be mostly about original Bolex, but they seems like really needing money :-)

I think one year passed since their marketing compain. :-) This is anniversary celebration.

• There's a sucker born every minute, so that means they have a whole new batch to prey on! Love it!!! I could just take $3000, wipe my ass with it, then piss on it, then soak it with JP8, light it on fire and get a better show! Was that too harsh? :)

• Is this the real boss speaking?

• @Alex

No.

I hate guys shooting out of focus videos with bad sound :-)

(mostly) final spec camera, although it couldn't show an image

• Maybe the menu screen is a photo frame with just a bunch of JPEGs ...