Personal View site logo
Kavadni's Studio
  • 43 Replies sorted by
  • Great link @Vitaliy_Kiselev, I had not seen that site before.
    He has done a great job, and I love his economical lighting grid.

A curve in a corner is something that I have considered (also considered floor to wall).
    I decided to leave it initially (cost and perhaps indecisiveness), until I work out through usage where I end up positioning things.

The poured coating is 15 x 28 feet. The other half of the building (thinner section) will have the same chemical applied by roller tomorrow morning (1mm thick vs the poured 3mm).

The windows will be blocked with 3" acoustic foam cut to about 5mm larger than the openings which will be wedged in place. The glass is midway between double brick walls.

For the lighting grid, I have decided on a manfrotto skytrack system for the talent lighting, and a similar system as shown in the video above the skytrack, 2" scaffold pipes to permanently mount the background lights.

I intend to run curtains around all four walls which will for the time being provide me with the curve when needed - not as good as a hard surface curve. Good to start with.

• One advantage to living in Australia...just my boat shed is twice as big. :-)

• from my experience in my former photographic life I wouldnt build a cove with wooden boards. You can fill and sand the edges now perfectly but as soon as you have temperature fluctuation during the seasons in combination with the tension of the curve the filled egdes will break up and you will see them quite soon in the background of your footage. Then you have to start again overworking with a lot of work and especially with a lot of dust..

• @GH2UW ... in Australia too ... the poured floor is about half of it ... in total it's 68 sq/m (I need to check that by measuring ... that's what the floor quote said .. I thought it was 77)

@peaceonearth ... good point ... it was one of the considerations to wait.
    I have sent a request for samples of some vinyls which are available in 3m wide rolls that if hung as a background curtain should provide a smooth curve - they also give an excellent wall to floor curve.

• @kavadni Looking sweet. Excellent progress. What acoustic foam are you using?

• @driftwood, I have not decided, so am open to recommendations.

Initially, I am planning on some cheap tiles ($14 for .5m x .5m) which are available through the 'Australian Wall-Mart of Rubber and Foam', Clark Rubber (they also cut to size) for the windows, to get them blocked light wise.

I am hoping that 20 or 30 of them 'randomly' on the walls will solve any actual audio issues. I will probably suspend 'fire blankets' above the lighting grids if I have any ceiling issues.

It's autumn here now, so in a month or two, I will know if the 2 inches of insulation on the roof are enough to keep noise out, or I may need to get insulation between the rafters and a ceiling installed ... I need to finalise grid mounting before I do that.

The first job going through, just after Easter, is for four hip-hop clips to playback - no audio issues. It will hopefull have enough left when completed to pay for the lighting grid, foam, and curtain rails.

• WOW, you are making it real good.

• Blocked all light from the two large windows today, and a small start on deadening the acoustics

75mm thick PVE was cut 2mm larger than the openings, and the acoustic foam is 25mm larger.
    It's a force fit and there is no way the PVE will come out in one piece.

I'll post a picture of the smaller ones before I insert them.

The lady's name is Manni Quinn.

[Apologies for large File Vitaliy, I did resize but selected the wrong one]

886270_10151486082639573_683312379_o.jpg
    1136 x 852 - 74K
  • Are You plan using GH's camera for this studio? What are in your plan of mixer, lighting for screen green...? I plan to built mine at my basement, searching for ways with very limited budget.

• @tinbeo,

I will use GH cameras sometimes .. if doing 2 locked off shots they would be a workable option.
    If I am using operators, I'd use my EX1 and borrow another.

I have a multi-cam rig based around Black magic TVS.

I am currently lighting the 3m x 3m screen with 2 by 4x65W (5500) CFL soft boxes.
    One is actually adequate, but it needs to be above the talent position (3m from screen 3m high). And until I put up the lighting grid, that's not an option.

I will get a couple of fittings to carry 4 foot tubes, and light from the sides. For the time being I won't bother about kino style ballasts, I won't initially be shooting at anything other than 25fps.

• I have been busy ... unpaid setting up of the studio space, mostly.

Six weeks since I've found enough time to update this.
    Following are various photos I've taken over that period.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. It's not finished ... it's getting there.

Studio Wide 00.jpg
    960 x 720 - 93K
    Studio Wide 01.jpg
    960 x 720 - 71K
    Studio Wide 02.jpg
    960 x 720 - 61K
    Studio Wide 05.jpg
    960 x 720 - 72K
    Studio Mannie 01.jpg
    960 x 720 - 44K
    Studio edit 01.jpg
    960 x 720 - 59K
    Studio Wide 04.jpg
    960 x 720 - 70K
  • I love it man!

• Excellent work sir!

• Great job, well done!

• Awesome job Kavadni! My only suggestion/word of advice is regarding that edit station - for God's sake, get rid of that chair, it'll destroy your back and posture in no time! 8yrs of camera assisting almost messed me up for good especially when I transitioned from standing on my feet all day to sitting at a computer most of the day. I highly recommend the Steelcase Leap chairs - No more back problems :) Even better now that I'm balancing my time again between home workstation and set work again.

• Nice work congratulations.

• Great fun. You must be as happy as a pig in mud. I'm jealous.

I realise your photos are for the building, not for a real shoot. But I spot an old demon of mine...

Black backdrops are so tricky to light/shade. I've never found a black which is as black as black corduroy. Corduroy is black because its ridges work on the bellows-mattebox principle.

image image from Lowel.com

You still can't front-light corduroy, but you get lots wider angles where you can do it from the side. Go to your Spotlight store and grab a few samples of varying thicknesses and fibres.

• @ kavadni

Impressive work.

I'm envious.

RBD