Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX7 topic
  • 320 Replies sorted by
  • I've been hoping Panasonic would offer Active Mode in video for the LX7 as a firmware update, but no sign of it. I can see that the addition of active mode to the LX5 is offered as an update, along with some other features, but I assume you couldn't use this for the LX7. Vitaliy, is active mode a feature you could add as part of a hack? It would help with video which I note from many examples online is little more shaky than say the HX9v/Hx20v. Screwing in a pistol grip makes a difference but would love to have active mode.

• @lowlight1

I do not understand that you mean. Active mode as in video cameras?

• Thanks for the fast reply. Active mode is offered on some Panasonic compacts, as well as camcorders. It is an extra electronic stabilisation feature. For example, it is offered with the LX5:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/LX5/index.html

Also see:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/lx5/hd_movie.html#activemode

It does make a noticeable difference to steadiness.

• @markr041 - thanks Yeah I've downloaded that video before and had a play with it, but it still not doing what I need. I had better luck with one of your Youtube videos, the one with the backyard fence etc :)

As far as grading goes it's all about the mood. In any case in my clip, the original video does not look much different from what I uploaded to YouTube. The look mostly comes from the lighting (Magic hour) and the RX100 itself. The clip is meant to accompany my music, so I do want it to look more dreamy, rather than reality.. Different courses for different purposes.

This jump video log I did doesn't go for the graded look, but there is still some pop to it - a bit overexposed due to using a 1/60 and 1/125 shutter speed not having an ND filter at the time

I think there is something a bit flat/dead about the LX7 output then. Maybe due to the smaller chip size and resulting lack of dynamic range - Or camera processing? Just my subjective feeling. It's a pity, because it does a lot right by me, and it has all the features I want and like over the RX100 as far as compact goes.

• "I think there is something a bit flat/dead about the LX7 output then." I am confused: I thought you wanted a flat look, good for grading. The "fence" video was using a partcular flat "film" choice ('Natural') on purpose. You can choose 'Standard' or 'Vivid', the latter to get a punchy look. You can also set saturation and contrast for each 'film'. So there is not one look. I don't think you xan judge what the LX7 can do in video without trying out all the different settings - the flexibility in looks is what differentiates the LX7 from consumer camcorders.

• @Markr041 Yes I wanted "flat" for grading, but the result after grading was still not quite what I wanted, is a better way to put it. The output still lacks a front to back depth and dimension, and pop is a better way to describe it.

I am tempted to pick one up to try just to know for sure, it's cheap enough.

I also just got a new GH2 + 14-42 kit lens for a bargain price, and I'm suprised how well the RX100 does indoors vs GH2+kit lens (f3.5), a lot less noisey and smoother looking! GH2 looks more "filmy" though

• Then have fun with your RX100.....

• My understanding is that the RX100 is not completely manual in video mode. And it does not have a 24p mode, right? If hacked, the LX7 might be able to do 24p native. But I've not had any problem mixing 60p with 24p in FCPX. For my show, I've been setting up the three cameras in 720p so that all will be the same frame rate. In that setting, the LX7 suffered because the datarate was so low.

I'll shoot a new show again next week at the radio station. I intend to use the LX7 on the table instead of the wide angle. It should be a little better in that capacity.

• @ DailyFilmFix

My understanding is that the RX100 is not completely manual in video mode. And it does not have a 24p mode, right? If hacked, the LX7 might be able to do 24p native. But I've not had any problem mixing 60p with 24p in FCPX. For my show, I've been setting up the three cameras in 720p so that all will be the same frame rate. In that setting, the LX7 suffered because the datarate was so low. I'll shoot a new show again next week at the radio station. I intend to use the LX7 on the table instead of the wide angle. It should be a little better in that capacity.

On the RX100 you can either shoot movie clips in full auto, Shutter, Aperture priority or full manual control of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. Plus some creative filters ontop of that

No 24p that is correct - which is annoying. But the PAL model can do 25p in that fake 1080 50i AVCHD (25p progressive in a 50i container), or 25p in the lower bit rate mp4 mode. 50p converts to 24p pretty easily by frame dropping, or you can slow the clip to 48fps and frame drop cleanly to 24p. I find my US model's 60p does not cleanly convert to 24p on the RX100, it looks a bit skippy if there is a lot of panning. Unless your doing 40% slo mo which works perfectly.

So I'm thinking of getting a PAL version, which is more flexible, since 50p to 30p works pretty well based on my experiments with sample original clips from the PAL model of various cameras and my GH2. You just need to set the shutter speed to 1/60 or 1/125 so the lights don't strobe.

Or 1/50, and 1/100 for me since I live in PAL land :)

• Wow, seems like a lot of heavy lifting to get 24p. I know you're right on the workflow, but I honestly haven't seen any problem dropping the 60p into my 24p GH1 footage. But I need to do some tests. I have not used the LX7 on any serious professional project. The local TV stuff is just experimental with no real downside.

Let me shoot some 60p LX7 along side some GH1 LPowell hacked footage and post it this weekend.

Here's the footage from last week's film festival. There is an audio issue in a clip that I failed to duck. Anyway, it shows a handheld shot on the fly--the filmmaker behind my LX7 is none-other-than James Kicklighter.

• @DailyFilmFix It depends on the type of footage and filming style, but I found panning and sports movements just did not conform well going from 60p to 24p. You can tell frames were dropped, a bit jumpy. Even using Twixtor to reflow the footage still didn't look like filming in native 24p.

One thing that is bugging me of the LX7, is the aliasing on hard contrasted edges. ie in your video on the speaker's right hand side shoulder against the white background.

• @stonebat

Yep, cool. Almost required item for LX7.

• I have one of those auto lens caps, and it works well. But it is ugly and cheap looking and it prevents the top part of my case from fitting. What is needed is a case that accommodates the auto-cap and has a cut out part on the bottom for access to the battery and SD card compartment.

• This is a video I shot during a Rock meets Classic concert in Frankfurt, germany on monday 25-02-2013 (Jahrhunderthalle). Eric Bazilian (The Hooters - one of my main heroes) performing "Johnny B". It was brillant.

I'm not that familar using manual settings. I used MP4 mode 720p 25 (not AVCHD). No need to convert it to a format that can be used in iMovie. Just a a few adjustments in iMovie:

• exposure 82 % (default is 100%)
    • brightness minus 21 % (0 %)
    • contrast + 32 %
    • saturation 66 %

Audio has been tweeked a little in a musical way (which made a huge difference).

Distance to the stage was about 40 m (guessed). Handheld.

All in all I'm rather satisfied with the results. But the main person is over-exposed throughout the whole video (probably due to the front lights). What is your suggestion: how can this be avoided? Smaller aperture (I guess it was rather open but I can't recall it exactly)?

Cheers Jens

• Try inverse curve if there is such feature in iMovie. But I doubt that it brings back the overblown highlight details on the main player. It's gone. Forever. You should've used center weighted or spot metering on the main guy. Whenever you need to capture a scene where you have to squint your eyes (overblown) on one corner AND to widen your eyes (crushed black) on another corner in a same framing, you should realize it's high contrast scene. Then you'd have to decide to give up either highlight detail or shadow detail and adjust the exposure accordingly. This is true for pretty much all DSLRs including GH2. Use live histogram to detect highlight/shadow clipping.

• THX, stonebat.

Yes, I guess it might get a bit tricky to fix this now "in the mix". Not much of a chance for this probably. I don't know but I guess there is no inverse curve in iMovie.

But your hints are very welcome. Metering on the main guy - that could have been a solution delivering better results. I don't know which metering mode I used. But I used S-mode for time priority. It was et up to 1/30. Maybe 1/60 might had been the better adjustment (or even 1/50 due the 25 fps)?!?

• The "lip" needs to be trimmed slightly by a sharp knife or your zooming will be suffering. Picture is by phone so not super off course. But I guess you understand

"stonebat February 25

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181064756395?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

LX7 auto lens cap. So cheap :)"

lens_Dsc_3665.jpg
    800 x 532 - 188K
  • Hey guys;

I read on here a few days ago of a rumour that the LX7 will be in line for a possible "hack". If this is true, that'll be great... as I'm looking for something small and compact that will shoot great video along side my GH2, GH1 and maybe a GoPro. I need to replace my aging Canon HV30's... and this camera looks to be a good price/quality.

So, I guess my question is this... If the LX7 cops a hack, what can we expect? Possible 24p/25p framerates? Upped bitrate? I'm just finding it hard to see where the hack could improve this camera... unless I'm missing something.

• So, I guess my question is this... If the LX7 cops a hack, what can we expect? Possible 24p/25p framerates? Upped bitrate? I'm just finding it hard to see where the hack could improve this camera... unless I'm missing something.

I have LX7 at hand. As for hack I'l try to add some infor about it in March update.

• For me HDMI / video output while filming is what I want mostly. Higher framerate full HD and possibly a better high speed frame rate with manual settings will also be fantastic. And off course the 30min maximum raised would be nice. My camera is the PAL version so settings is 25/50/100 frames. Having 30/60/120 NTSC would help in some ways so I dont care if I need to change to NTSC software ;)

• Some of my latest videos: Low light conditions (less than 100watt lamps dimmed total and two fires)

Very high light conditions: http://vimeo.com/jojoen/vaset17130006

The only thing I really struggle with is finding a codec that makes a video smooth while panning without having extreme bitrate (that dissapears with uploading anyhow). Anyone with a tip or two? (I have Premiere Pro CS4 and Vegas Pro 12.0)

• @jojoen Usually it is noise which takes bandwidth in my low-light video. I use the Dynamic Noise Reduction filter in VirtualDub or Sony Vegas to knock my noise down. I can't see any motion from the pan which is likely to be really bandwidth-hogging. The video you have on Vimeo has a very low level of noise, so the question is whether it was pulled out by the codecs or by pre-processing?

• Jojoen... it looks as if you've done something to your video to induce motion blur (I've not seen that on other example videos).

This camera is going to be my next serious purchase. I've just sold my old HV30 to someone as a tape deck/capture station (such a waste, as the camera is amazing... I just don't care for miniDV anymore)... and I've got a little cash to spare. Also, I like to shoot with at least three cameras, and seeing as I already own a GH1 and GH2, I figure adding another lumix to the mix can't hurt. I may even be shooting a short film with just this camera (and seperate audio of course) in the future. Unlocking a 24p mode on the LX7 would be the first welcome thing for me... as I shoot 24p on all my cameras.

Also, I understand the LX7 shoots 120fps in 720p. It'd be great if we could feed a little extra bitrate into that mode, to make sure quality is up to standards!