Personal View site logo
Oscar winning documentary partly shot on the iPhone!
  • Last nights Oscar winner for documentary, searching for sugar man, was partly shot on an iPhone and edited on a simple laptop. I guess this should not be abused as an excuse for technical dilletantism or using low quality hardware, but rather as a motivation to tell good stories in the first place and not letting technical things you think you need to suceed, stop you.

http://www.moviescopemag.com/features/searching-for-sugar-man-the-directors-journey-from-story-to-screen/

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • And people get crazy out if 4K or 6K.

• Well yes, he shot a very small part of the documentary with an iPhone because he wanted a botchy and very low-res look for these shots... Just like, many years ago, some American and German filmmakers used a few shots in S-8 in 35mm films for the very same reason. So?

• it was also due to the fact, that the swedish film foundation had decided to not pay him the agreed money. So it was also a financial necessity. And its also about him doing music, editing etc with minimal financial means, many things on his own. @paddy you have totally missed the point, i am affraid.

• The most of the movie was shoot on a Sony PMW-EX1.

• i did not state otherwise, nore does the link nore does the title of my post. jesus. another one who does not get the point.